PDA

View Full Version : Motor mount Replacement question, will this work?

xlandguy
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
I would like this in my MC if it will fit the motor. Reinforcing the hull first of course.

36mm 540XL Motor Mount Water cooled aluminum motor mount for 36mm diameter motors. Fiberglass side plates. Rear support for L and XL motors. 3 5/8 inch (92mm) long. $20.00 each

Motor specs:
Diameter:
36mm
Length:
56mm

When mounting do you simply epoxy the mount directly to the floor then? 5 min Zpoxy?

tlandauer
06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
5 min. is not my choice, I use at least 30 min. Zpoxy. The fast cure epoxy is not as strong as the longer time ones. There are other threads on this topic, but if I were you I would steer clear away from the 5 min. stuff especially for a motor mount where every time you pull that throttle there will be torque generated by the motor. I have a Pursuit bought from another member and he did exactly just that: epoxying the FG side plates on to the floor of the hull, but inside the MC if it is smoothly painted I will rough it up a bit or as you said, after your reinforcement from CF cloth it should be fine.
There was another thread posted by someone, he went the fancy way: he built two "Dams" for both side plates, so they will hold up the epoxy when it is poured on to the rails , that way the extra epoxy will stay and cover the holes. I forgot where I read it but most likely in the MC section.

xlandguy
06-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks, trying to find that thread. I also am looking for info on laying CF. Like, for corners, cut it or press it in?

Rumdog
06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
I like to use 5 min epoxy to tack things in place while setting up a boat. Then use a good epoxy, 30 min zpoxy is good or zpoxy finishing resin with some thin FG mat.

tlandauer
06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I am not 100% sure about the motor mount, ( not familiar with the term "540 XL") , the thing you need to make sure is the diameter of the AQ motor can AND the Length of the water jacket, there has to be enough clearance in the back so the second ring can wrap the motor can. Surely there are people can answer you with confidence, I have not used this one, only used the version for 4082 motor.
I will try to find the thread for you, basically the guy's idea was to lay down strips of wood or plastic and you can envision it as a tiny swiming pool---to hold the epoxy since inorder to cover the holes there has to be quite alot of the goo, but if there is no "wall" to hold them in, they will just flow out. he made it pretty though, painted them i think.

Rumdog
06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Are you changing the motor? If not, why change the mount? 540 xl is the term for Feigao motors. 36mm diameter, same as stock, but longer. The tail ring may be useless.

xlandguy
06-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I want to change the mount for a couple of reasons. To better align and possibly shorten the stuffing tube. To eliminate the flex in the stock mount. I love working on the boat, changing it for the better. I may put in a UL-1 motor. So I am going to foam the hull, lay CF inside, and install the motor mount. ALso putting in a Swordfish 120.

Rumdog
06-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Go with a etti mount. OSE sells them too. You won't need the Tail ring support for that motor.

xlandguy
06-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Ok, the mount without tailring, cheaper too. Thanks. Does the water cooled mount provide much less cooling than the jacket, or do I run both?

tlandauer
06-24-2012, 10:13 PM
No luck finding that thread, I just mentioned it so you know that was done, didn't mean to stir things up, i am sure whatever you do and it will work, right now in the F/S section there is a member selling his MC, he reinforced with CF cloth and put a nose motor mount, you can check it out. it is a recent post.
This is just me: I have not used the water cooled nose mount piece on a couple of my boats because the water flow wasn't great to begin with, all the connections/tubes IMO will just restrict the water flow even more. I concentrated on the ESC and the jacket. If I were having dual water pick-up I would use that. Again, tha is just my approach.

xlandguy
06-24-2012, 10:25 PM
No luck finding that thread, I just mentioned it so you know that was done, didn't mean to stir things up, i am sure whatever you do and it will work, right now in the F/S section there is a member selling his MC, he reinforced with CF cloth and put a nose motor mount, you can check it out. it is a recent post.
This is just me: I have not used the water cooled nose mount piece on a couple of my boats because the water flow wasn't great to begin with, all the connections/tubes IMO will just restrict the water flow even more. I concentrated on the ESC and the jacket. If I were having dual water pick-up I would use that. Again, tha is just my approach.
Stir things up? no way, thanks for adding info. The more info the better.

siberianhusky
06-25-2012, 05:37 AM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=76332&d=1336932553

Used JB weld, killer stuff. Thats a pair of rails made out of this rock hard wood called Paduke, off cuts from a guitar finger board.