PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me if it's motor or esc???

ejimbo4
06-23-2012, 07:15 PM
So I was running my stock Impulse 31 this past Monday and I was on my second set of packs towards the end of the run and it just cut off. It took a few miutes to get it in so I didn't get any temp readings and my wife said she saw a little smoke when I pulled the lid but I didn't.She probably did because she has no reason to even think there would be smoke but if there was it was very little. The packs are fine. I was running 2-2s1p 5000mah with the stock 60 amp esc and 1800kv motor. I don't have a video of the run but I do have this clip showing what the motor is doing. Servo works fine but when I WOT this is what I get....

http://youtu.be/5JkpvKEfves

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get back on the water!:thumbup1:

Make-a-Wake
06-23-2012, 07:23 PM
What prop?

mtbenjamin77
06-23-2012, 08:08 PM
looks to me like one of the motor wires burned up inside the ESC. That happened to one of the guys at our lake. Proboat replaced it under warranty.

ray schrauwen
06-23-2012, 09:11 PM
One or more of the motor/esc connections is de-soldered. Like above stated too.

May I suggest you add some more heat shrink to youe motor esc connector since they look like they could easily short out which may have been the cause all along.

tryinotocrash
06-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Hello If you have another esc you could try it. This is how the motor will sound if you unplug one of the three wires from the esc to the motor. I have seen the esc loose one leg of the three but normally it is a motor issue. Only way to tell is to try another esc or another motor. Good luck.

keithbradley
06-24-2012, 12:09 AM
One or more of the motor/esc connections is de-soldered. Like above stated too.

May I suggest you add some more heat shrink to youe motor esc connector since they look like they could easily short out which may have been the cause all along.

You could also have poor solder connections at the bullets. They look like they are not stock bullets...I would check the solder on those first.

ejimbo4
06-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Ok! Thanx guys,I will check this week and see what is up.

d.a.v.e
06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Funny I just had the same thing happen to me Sat. Turned out to be the red plug on my motor came unsoddered from the 5.5 bullet connector I put in.

Kraemer
11-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Hi Guys,

Similar problem today with mine!
Lost power to motor....first it slowed down so I brought her in...soon after no power to motor.
Now nothing as far as motor is concerned....steering works but ESC does not beep at all when switched on.
Battery Packs are all good...Motor Stock ESC Stock with OSE upgraded Cable and m445 prop!
Cables all look good to me!

Any help is really appreciated!!

d.a.v.e
11-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Try giving each of the wires a good tug to ensure they are still connected well.

Running this prop with the stock ESC is probably pushing it depending on water temps. Its rated as a 60amp esc and on mine I found the prop pulled around 90+amps pretty consistent. I could see myself needing a new ESC if I kept running as is.

Kraemer
11-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Was thinking of upgrading anyway :-), but would you guys be able to point me in the right direction as to what ESC should run without problems with the m445 prop on the stock motor ....or if stock motor not suited for this prop what motor to get......don't want to race this boat just want a reliable setup :-)

Thanks

d.a.v.e
11-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Depends what you want to spend but anything over 120amps would be good. I have had good experience with the hobbywing/turnigy 180's & like the face I can put reverse into them as well.

If you really want to push the boat but keep it in the stock class you can put in a new motor like the proboat 1500kv. It has more torque then the 1800 allowing you to push a bigger 3 blade prop but it will run really hot and give you fairly short run times. Otherwise look at some of the Leapord motors they seem to provide some pretty good bang for the buck. Going up in power will reduce your run times but running a bigger motor will usually reduce some heat.

mannytx1
11-23-2012, 09:19 AM
88948servo does not work IMPULSE 31V2
esc does not work for high volt cutoff and cutoff type ldle, (can not be programmed with programming card)
not recommend this boat
after 10 day, proboat not have parts for warranty, out of stock
incredible disservice

Kraemer
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Here you go!

New Turnigy Marine 120A ESC, OSE Flex Cable Assembly, Dual Rudder Conversion, adjustable trim tabs and a shiny Octura SB M445 prop.
She is in the water again and running like never before :biggrin: