PDA

View Full Version : .90 Sprintcat conversion

Rumdog
06-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Tried my hand at gas boats last summer.
It's just not for me. I built a Sprintcat with a full mod Zen. So, I decided to convert it to brushless power. I went with a Leo 5698 1100kv and a Fightercat 16s 300 amp controller to run on 8s2p. I've had her out a few times so far, and it is a blast. NOTHING can turn like a Sprintcat! Only ran a x457 so far, but have a couple more props on the way.
Here are a few pics:

keithbradley
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Sweet. That's got to be a blast to drive!
The black thumb screws actually look pretty good on there. I normally put the thread bosses in from the bottom though...you don't have to worry about them coming off if the epoxy doesn't hold, and they dont hold the hatch from sitting down all the way.

keithbradley
06-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Do you think the skegged strut makes a difference on that hull?

dana
06-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Nice boat! Video please

SAW- USA
06-23-2012, 12:48 PM
What were some of the issues with your gas set up? I have found 95%of the time its gas and go for me but i watched and listen for 6 months before i built this boat solo but i have 2 other gas boats that were built for me and it takes time to learn about set up but for the most part theres nothing to gas . I love my gas sprintcat . It's my 1st solo build . It was built after a X friend built another boat like this for me and this one is built almost identical to the other Sprint he built for me . This boat has went 86.4 and is fast if not faster than the 1st one . Both are nice but I like this one much better as I built it solo . it runs avg 83-84 Everytime out but there's a bunch of little tricks to getting those speeds and there's only a few props I bought to get me there 2818,2918,3118 are the fastest and I run Bob Austin props only . Here's a pic of my sprint http://img.tapatalk.com/a6937999-f2d0-ecd1.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6937999-f365-ad0d.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.439995,-79.906165

Rumdog
06-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks, Keith. Yeah, that makes more sense, huh?! I may use the last pair at the rear of the hatch. It's a tad warped and needs to be pulled down at the center to seal properly. Pin going iin the front as well.

I didnt really have a problem with it as a gasser. It's just that I prefer electric. Yours looks bad as$ SAW-USA. 83-84 is FAST! What motor are you running? 28.5cc?

SAW- USA
06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks, Keith. Yeah, that makes more sense, huh?! I may use the last pair at the rear of the hatch. It's a tad warped and needs to be pulled down at the center to seal properly. Pin going iin the front as well.

I didnt really have a problem with it as a gasser. It's just that I prefer electric. Yours looks bad as$ SAW-USA. 83-84 is FAST! What motor are you running? 28.5cc?It's a 29.5 SS I have 2 29.5 SS and I had a 26 SS and it was fast also but I sold it to a very good friend that's now has the sport hydro guys scratching there heads lolo. I have some gps reading on my phone and I'll try and post those . What kind of gps do you guys use. I got one of the micro gps units from hurricane racing with the little 2s lipo and the water proof pill bottle and that things is great . The perfect size and I take a small piece of pool doodle and slip over the pill bolttle and wedge it behind the radio box and transom and it works like a charm. I have a new cat design that has a Dragcat and sprintcat combined that I'd like to build into a fe but I know nothing about fe lol. That was the case with gas or any Rc boat 6 months ago but I'll have to say I have come along way . This boat fastest pass was a 2 way of 87.3 But it has to be perfect water and no wind but there's a bunch of great weather for this type ( SAW) boating here

bill34207
06-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Do you think the skegged strut makes a difference on that hull?

On my Falcon cat (clone of the SC hull) it made a difference but it wasn't a good one. Too much bite and hop in the corners. Wound up removing the skeg and it handles much better.

srislash
06-24-2012, 09:23 AM
That is great Rum,I'm looking for a gas hull to go twins in.Can't wait to see this go.These gas hulls will handle awesome compared to some of the more scale hulls.

SAW- USA
06-24-2012, 10:02 AM
On my Falcon cat (clone of the SC hull) it made a difference but it wasn't a good one. Too much bite and hop in the corners. Wound up removing the skeg and it handles much better.I never run a skeg strut . If I have a strut with the skeg on it I cut it off and file it down .

SAW- USA
06-24-2012, 10:10 AM
That is great Rum,I'm looking for a gas hull to go twins in.Can't wait to see this go.These gas hulls will handle awesome compared to some of the more scale hulls.What type of hull are you looking for ? Cat , mono, big v? And are you trying for straight away speed or oval ? I know of some really great boat builders here in the US but I'm sure you know as well .

Rumdog
06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
With the gas setup, the skeg helped it to track straight and overcome some of the propwalk from the big gas props. I'm still testing now, so it may get ditched. However, at this point I'm having no issues in the turns at all, and it tracks straight as an arrow with no rudder input.

srislash
06-24-2012, 10:18 AM
What type of hull are you looking for ? Cat , mono, big v? And are you trying for straight away speed or oval ? I know of some really great boat builders here in the US but I'm sure you know as well .I've been talking to Andy(AC Boats) about a R-42 Cat.
I've got a pair of 1717's and Ice 2 200's for it.
I started looking at MHZ and HPR but the handling is poor.I have an overpowered Geico that is a hoot to drive and would like to make something like that just bigger.Any other hull suggestions?

Rumdog
06-24-2012, 10:28 AM
The R-42 is awesome. Same bottom as a Sprintcat. You would have to make your own hatch though. I believe the only one available on covers about 1/3 of the opening.

srislash
06-24-2012, 10:31 AM
The R-42 is awesome. Same bottom as a Sprintcat. You would have to make your own hatch though. I believe the only one available on covers about 1/3 of the opening.Andy is not far from me and is really interested in this new found electric power.So I'll probably figure something out there.

I've seen some great vids of the R-42 rippin around over 70mph.

NativePaul
06-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Andy is not far from me and is really interested in this new found electric power.So I'll probably figure something out there.

If you do, let me know, I've been thinking of an R-42 for a while but the hatch has put me off so far.

srislash
06-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Will do Paul.I'll do a build thread when it happens.I think it would be a good winter project.

SAW- USA
06-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I've been talking to Andy(AC Boats) about a R-42 Cat.
I've got a pair of 1717's and Ice 2 200's for it.
I started looking at MHZ and HPR but the handling is poor.I have an overpowered Geico that is a hoot to drive and would like to make something like that just bigger.Any other hull suggestions?I think the R42 is a great hull! I also like the F41 Stryker and I like the new USA made 55"mystic for the twins . I don't know if the r42 or the f41 will work fit twins but then again I don't know ANYTHING about fe !!!! So you guys HAVE to have a hull that you can make water proof?? I don't know how you guys keep the water out and with the blow overs coming from fast cats it seems almost impossible but I guess not lol. Why don't you guys run a water proof radio box for your servos and rx ec ? Etc ? Are the electric motors water proof ? Shows how much I know about fe lol. It would seem that a radio box like we run in gas would be a no brainer for these high $ electrical parts you guys run but I'm guessing you tape down the hatch and seal off everything everywere???? As far as a very nice cat hull I have many many suggestions but again I don't know what the needs of a fe hull is . You guys have some really nice fast boat and I'm hoping I can learn more but it seems to me that gas is where I need to stay until I learn more . I have the gas cat thing figured out but I'm always interested in Rc boats that go fast in a straight line lolo.

srislash
06-24-2012, 12:53 PM
SAW, for me,liquid tape and Conformal Coating are my best friends.I also use household door seal and hatch locks to seal my hatches.Oh,and tape for high speed runs.

Rumdog
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Now that's a cap bank!!!
5600uf 100volt! Hugeness!
Also, my new Fightercat 5518/3 CNC prop. Excited to run tomorrow? YUP!

srislash
06-25-2012, 10:20 PM
I love my 5018/3's on my Shocker.%5's should rip Rum.Getting vid?

Brushless55
07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Oh baby! :drool:

Rumdog
07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
lol