PDA

View Full Version : Motley Crew Needs Speed!!!

wakesurfer8
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
My motley crew has stock motor/esc. It has 5.5mm bullets on everything and upgraded ose flex cable w/ bullet nut. I run 2x 7.4v 6000mah 100c maxamps. I recently had a blowover running an m445. My top speed was around 43 mph. That prop got messed up, so i put on a spare x642 and blue-printed and scuffed (400 grit) the hull. I also sharpened and rounded the rudder. I would really like to get in the 45-50 mph range with stock motor/esc. What speeds should i expect with an x642 and how can i get into the 45-50mph range? I am going camping for 2 weeks in a couple of days, so i will be able to run my boat everyday...I want to try and get it running as fast and smooth as possible. I hear people getting 45-47mph with an m445, but i could only get 43 mph.

So with my setup, what speeds should i be getting from m445,x642, grimracer 42x55?
Thanks,
Jake

Fluid
06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
With your setup a speed of 43 mph is very reasonable. Remember that all the power in an FE boat is in the battery, so a better battery will give higher speeds - slightly in this case. Freeing up the hull will help too, but that risks a blow over. No problem, that's the cost of higher speeds with limited power.

Moving the packs back will help to fly the hull. So will raising the strut a bit, or angling the prop end up a degree or two. Make all strut adjustments on a flat board, and record your changes and the speeds. It may take awhile, but I suspect that on smooth water you can eventually get closer to 50....for awhile at least.

wakesurfer8
06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
alright thanks, the only thing i havent played with it battery placement, so ill try that.

wakesurfer8
06-21-2012, 08:25 PM
is there a better battery for a low price? i have heard really good things about gens ace and thunderpower($$$$), and mixed reviews about turnigy... any recommendations? it would be nice to have a backup set of packs.

JimClark
06-21-2012, 09:09 PM
search the battery forum loads of info on batteries there