PDA

View Full Version : i must be dumb ?

madmorgan
06-21-2012, 08:40 AM
hey guys this is a odd thing. last night i was checking over a ekos c1 because when i took it out for the first run (it was bought from a member on rcu) after a minute i brought it in for heat and water checks. the right motor was hot it didnt pass the 5 second check and the temps were like 150 (motor only) on right and the left was around 90. so i packed it up , checked cooling lines i can blow through both sides no problems. well i went ahead and programmed the left side esc (to make sure the other guy didnt change something) set it to venoms defaults then i hooked up the right side esc started to program it (got to the 3rd menu lipo low volt cutoff) and i started to smell that infamous magic smoke and before i could unplug the lipo ,fire came out from a area on the esc. is it just my bad luck?
btw before anyone asks i ran 3s 5000 mah 35c , stock 60 a esc , stock green inrunner 2850 motors, and the raw aluminum venom 32mm props. no binding in either shafts.
note that it doesnt have the stock radio so to connect the esc wires to rx i removed the red wire and tapped it back and used a y harness , had to reconnect the red wire for programming but the other esc was disconneted before any of this happened.

sanyijr
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Morgan,

That blows! I am not familiar with those components, but if she ran for a bit, I still would think something was binding on the right motor side and that did the esc in. You say it rotates free, but could it have picked up some debris? Smaller motor like that would (I assume) be less tolerant of drag on the prop from grass, weeds, etc. Just delayed, maybe. Tough to say though. But Sh!t luck for sure!!!

Did somebody mislead you and tell you this was a cheap hobby?

PS. and as for "I must be Dumb" post title, I am tempted to be polite and just agree, but without really knowing more, i don't want to jump the gun. :tt2:

madmorgan
06-21-2012, 01:28 PM
only ever ran it in a river so no weeds, as for being cheap hobby i know it isnt, helis are probably as much if not more than these electric boat, just one more reason why im selling the 4 electrics i have and sticking with the 3 4 foot gassers i run.

LOVE6S
06-21-2012, 04:18 PM
So whats for sale?