PDA

View Full Version : Where to get quality bullets?

Basstronics
06-16-2012, 08:54 AM
My last few purchases of bullets have been Castle's. Which are a tad on the pricey side. Any good alternative to these?

Also, Im going to be needing some with higher than 150A rating soon. What do you use when you get up there? 1" bullets???

photohoward1
06-16-2012, 09:18 AM
They are price because they are good quality. Try Allerc.com The cheaper ones are just that.....Cheap....

Rumdog
06-16-2012, 09:59 AM
8mm bullets from HK.

srislash
06-16-2012, 10:32 AM
8mm from Fightercat are good.
The beefy ones are FC,and the medium ones are Castle.Little one is cheapy,all are 8mm.

martin
06-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Second the 8mm HK ones, Jim Marcum put me on to these & very good conectors at $12.85 + shipping for 12 conectors.

Basstronics
06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
What kind of amp rating can those 8mm ones handle?

I guess I will stick with the castle 5.5's for my lighter duties then. They are very hard to get together and apart though.

m4a1usr
06-21-2012, 08:44 PM
What kind of amp rating can those 8mm ones handle?

I guess I will stick with the castle 5.5's for my lighter duties then. They are very hard to get together and apart though.

They are advertised as 200 amp but they will go higher. Get the long 8mm bullets from HK. Not sure if they still have both but back when I got my herd from HK they had both a short and long version. The smaller work great for battery balancers or similar lower amp conditions. The long version will be the ticket for your motors, batteries and speedos. They can be a PIA to seperate at times, especially if you just resized the male. I do a pull test on all mine over time and if they come apart easily you just take a #17 or .173 decimal drill bit and insert the non fluted side into the bullet. Only need to press it in an 1/8 inch or so and the prongs will expand back out. Back to like new!

I have tried the Neu's, the Euro Goldsteckers and the Ebay junk and of all the 8mm bullets I have tried the HK are very decent. The finish is alright. Not great. But for the price they are more than up to the job. I got mine from HK back in 2009 when they first showed up in their inventory. Dont know if the ones they sell today are the same? Hopefully they still get them from the same vendor and the quality hasnt degraded. Like I said I been using them for years in big amp boats and they function perfectly. I started using them after Brian set those impressive records back in 2008/2009.

John

R.J.S
06-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Don't need 8mm,but am looking for 5.5's.I like the kind with a single half-moon cutout on the wire end,makes it easier for me to fill em up with silver solder.Any suggestions?

785boats
06-22-2012, 02:14 PM
If you do end up buying the 5.5mm bullets from HK, DO NOT get the ones with the SKU # KG55001. They are loose fitting & bad quality.
Get the ones with the SKU # AM-1005. They are much better quality. Here's a link.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__2087__Polymax_5_5mm_Gold_Connectors_10_pairs_20p c_.html
Strange that they are both made by Polymax, but are like chalk & cheese.
All the best.
Paul.

R.J.S
06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks Paul,took a look at them,they look like what I want and the price is silly cheap.Wonder what shipping would cost?

martin
06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
At HK theirs a shipping calculater at the top of the page & relative weight of the item in its discription. Those bullets are 80g & shipping up to 100g is $2.99.

Basstronics
06-22-2012, 05:00 PM
I bought two packs of the cheap ones and they did suck. I wont even use them.

Basstronics
06-29-2012, 10:49 PM
I got the 8mm bullets in from Hobby King. Impressive for the money. Big honking things too.

I ordered more Castle 5.5's from fleabay (and some other goodies and got a deal on shipping).

Ive bought 6 packs of castle 5.5s now. 3 packs from the same vendor and all 3 were different. One set was slightly longer that the other two. The third set, the connectors themselves were made differently... The ones I just got from E bay were the same different design. Dont know whats up with this. Maybe Castle buys 5.5's from someone else...?

sailr
06-30-2012, 06:07 AM
I'll second that! The #AM-1005's are just fine. The others are crap.

If you do end up buying the 5.5mm bullets from HK, DO NOT get the ones with the SKU # KG55001. They are loose fitting & bad quality.
Get the ones with the SKU # AM-1005. They are much better quality. Here's a link.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__2087__Polymax_5_5mm_Gold_Connectors_10_pairs_20p c_.html
All the best.
Paul.

siberianhusky
07-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Excellent! Was looking for the P/N for the good hk bullets, knew there were 2 different ones and couldn't remember which was which!
Search works!

Stinger9D9
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
All the best.
Paul.

I'll 3rd that!

Without knowing that HK sold 2 different kinds of 5.5's, my first few packs were the AM-1005s and I really liked them. Then, I added a couple packs to my last order, but they were the KG5501s. Noticeable worse. The inside of the female connectors doesn't look to be plated at all!

Also, I noticed that the same (KG5501) connectors are the ones that came on my 4 Turnigy lipo packs (5000mah 40c, 7.4v) from the manufacturer. The connectors that came on my (remarkably similiar in size and weight) Haiyin packs (from the Haiyin store - not HK) of the same size/capacity were much nicer.

785boats
07-03-2012, 04:51 AM
I've noticed that too Stinger9D9. The KG series are on both Turnigy & Zippy packs but the Haiyin packs have better quality ones. Whether they are the Polymax AM series or some other brand is open for debate. But a much tighter fit & smoother contact surfaces.
I have to start replacing my bullets now anyway because the ones my older race packs are losing the plating & are getting a bit warm after a race. Too much resistance.

Basstronics
08-03-2012, 06:16 AM
I bought and was impressed with the 8mm bullets from Hobby King but I am running low.

I placed an order with Hobby Partz and I figured for $3.70 I would give it a shot.

$3.70 thrown out the window.

The last 1mm of bullet has a taper to a larger diameter. What does this mean? Well it means that when inserted into the female the contact surface is just that little taper part.

The 8mm from Hobby King had 6-6.5mm straight @ 8mm diameter. Much more surface area.

I posted a review to Hobby Partz. They moderate reviews and of course mine hasnt posted, yet (maybe never will). These things are JUNK DONT BUY THEM.

SirBudman32
08-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Hey Bass, if you order any more from Hk let me know I need some to.

R.J.S
03-30-2013, 04:22 PM
This is an older thread that I posted on looking for quality 5.5 bullet connectors and was directed to HK.

Good news,our friend Steve at OSE now stocks top quality "cut style" 5.5's.No need to deal with evil China!