PDA

View Full Version : Help Hydro not turning

Bailey
06-15-2012, 12:58 PM
My 1/12th scale proboat hydro will not turn right. I snapped off the rudder and had to order a new one from proboat. When it arrived i noticed that is longer and wider than my first. My boat already had issues turning with the smaller rudder so i just new this would help....Wrong! It seems that i get more throw from the servo to the left so i had to set up the rudder with a slight right turn just to get enough throw to make it turn 90% to the right. I have replaced the servo also and still have the same problem. At least i could make sharp reposive turns with the smaller rudder. With the new larger rudder it makes very wide lazy turns to the right. The boat itself is hooking great, running flat and fast, just won't turn. Please someone help i'm at a loss.

Bailey
06-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Thats sharp and responsive turns.

NativePaul
06-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Does it have a turn fin? If so which side is it on? full size hydros turn left and some scale boats are set up to turn left the same as the full size maybe yours is one of them. the turn fin goes on the inside of the turn so on the right sponson (looking from the stern towards the bow) for right hand turns and on the left soonson for left hand turns.

detox
06-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Does it have a turn fin? If so which side is it on? full size hydros turn left and some scale boats are set up to turn left the same as the full size maybe yours is one of them. the turn fin goes on the inside of the turn so on the right sponson (looking from the stern towards the bow) for right hand turns and on the left soonson for left hand turns.

What he said. BTW what is a 1/12th scale proboat hydro

Bailey
06-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes it has a turn fin and is on the right sponson. I have adjusted the angle of the turn fin to get the best turn out of the boat. It is an old miss budweiser same as the miss elam.

NativePaul
06-16-2012, 04:10 PM
OK, check the linkages and arms, make sure that nothing is hitting something and limiting movement, scraping against the hull where it passes through and is within the movement range of the bellows or otherwise binding due to rusted pin hinges etc, listening out for servo chatter can indicate high load areas or removing the horn form the servo and moving the rudder by hand it should take virtually no effort at all to move it either way. The rudder arm should be at 90 degrees to the rudder and the servo arm should be at 90 degrees to the body of the servo with the stick/wheel of your transmitter centred, and they should both be parallel to each other, failure to do this can lead to more rudder travel in one direction than the other. If that is all good hopefully the endpoint adjustment is programmed a little squiffy in your TX check they are the same both ways, and adjust if nessisary, or alter to compensate. If none of that helps then I am sorry to say that I think you need a new servo.

Bailey
06-16-2012, 05:55 PM
All linkages have been checked for binding and free movement. All have been adjusted to center including the transmitter. There is no endpoint adjustments on the transmitter its just a plain am transmitter. Also this is the second servo. I thought that was my problem the first time so I changed it out for a stronger servo. Could the bigger rudder be my problem?

JimClark
06-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Show us a picture showing how much travel the rudder has. Also how tight of a turn do you expect it to do? It isn't a mono yo know

Bailey
06-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Here you go...hard to tell in pics.

NativePaul
06-16-2012, 10:01 PM
you could try putting the trim almost full to the left and recentralising the linkages, I think with a basic radio set that would then give more right travel than left.

Heaving Earth
06-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Is it just me, or would it turn better if the rudder was on the left instead of the right?

JimClark
06-16-2012, 10:48 PM
what about a longer arm on the servo