PDA

View Full Version : New Haiyin and Turnigy packs - first impressions

Stinger9D9
06-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Both of my recent orders (one from Hobby King, and the other from Haiyin) arrived today.

I had ordered Turnigy 5000mah 40C packs and Haiyin 5000mah 40C packs. Partly because I needed a few new packs (my MC can really draw the amps when it's propped up a bit) and partly because I had a hunch they would be "similar".

So anyway, since they arrived basically together I just had to measure them up. Remember now, I haven't had a chance to run them, so these are just superficial first impressions I thought some of you may find interesting.

First off, the packs (while advertised as being slightly different sizes and weights) are exactly the same size and weight. The wires are the same gauge and the 5.5mm bullets are the same. The Haiyins came in at 3.83-384 volts per cell out of the box, the Turnigys were 3.86-3.87 volts per cell.

Other than the voltage, which could be due to one of the batches being a bit newer (and therefore off the line) for a bit longer.

So based on size, weight, wire size and outward appearance, these packs are identical. It will be a little while before I can take them out for a run, but like I said, you may find this interesting...or not.

Here are some photos:

Oh, and one last thing, I'm in Canada, so the shipping time is worth noting. The Haiyins were shipped UPS Standard exactly 7 days ago (from Nevada), the Turnigys were shipped EMS Singpost from Hong Kong 7 days ago as well (after some gentle reminding HK to get them out 3 days after the order was placed), so in this instance, the shipping transit times were a wash.

For the record, the wires while being the same gauge, where not labelled the same. The Turnigys have Turngy branding on the wires, while the Haiyin packs had no brand name screened on the wires.

siberianhusky
06-17-2012, 06:41 AM
What did it cost you to get the Haiyins into Canada? Worth it with the extra charges from the couriers?

Stinger9D9
06-17-2012, 09:10 AM
On delivery, I had to cough up an extra $43 and change on top of the shipping and pack cost. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think it works out to about $45/pack landed while the HK packs are between $41 and $42 landed.

It probably would be was wortth the extra to have the guaranteed UPS 1 week delivery for the Haiyins as any of us in Canada know, even the "express" shipping from HK can take 3 weeks at times.

I'm stateside right now for the weekend. If I'd have known before I made that Haiyin order, that the US Post Office dropped international lipo shipments (and that I was stuck with UPS and brokerage fees) before I made that order, I could have easily just had Haiyin deliver to one of those US mailbox holding services (costs about $5 for them to receive and hold a package for you to pick up) and I could have saved significantly on shipping and duty. For the amount I'm over this weekend (more than 48hrs) I could have brought $800 back to Canada duty free!

Now I have plenty of packs for the summer, so I don't need to deal with it again this year, but next year, I'm shipping them within the US and coming over to pick them up for sure. Doing that, I could get the per pack cost into the mid thirty dollar range.

dan hutchinson
06-18-2012, 07:12 PM
im new to the FE thing. so please help. where can i buy one of these batterys ? what is the contact # and i also need a battery charger that will charge this kind of pack (1 battery) and one that wont break the bank. any sugestions?

785boats
06-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Dan.
You buy them direct from Haiyin themselves. They have a Hong Kong, American & European warehouse. Select the one you need first. You will have to sign up to their site to buy. Here's the link.

http://www.haiyinstore.com/featureds.asp?PID=131+&PID=160+&PID=143+&PID=147+&PID=176+&PID=148+&PID=232+&PID=194+&PID=211+&PID=196+&PID=228+&PID=184+&PID=198+&PID=186+&PID=219+&PID=202+&PID=125+&PID=189+&PID=207+&PID=226+&PID=156+

I've just received another three. I really like these batteries.
Cheers.
Paul.

Brushless55
06-23-2012, 05:20 PM
yep I have Turnigy and Haiyin packs and as some have tried to sell the Haiyin packs and the new best packs out there, and better than Turnigy.. I see the same packs when put side by side..

Stinger9D9
11-04-2012, 05:51 PM
A little bit of an update after the summer (no racing - just casual sport running). Spoiler alert - I won't be buying Haiyins again.

I decided that for these packs (all 8 of them) I would make sure to time all my runs and log the times/boat/prop and residual voltage after each run. They were paired up (ran together, recharged/balanced together in pairs).

Each pair only got either 7 or 8 runs (between June 30 and July 20) after this, I charged/drained them to 3.80 volts/cell for storage.

I decided to top them all up yesterday (Nov 3) to take them out with my newly put together Revolt.

Each pair topped up in about an hour (I charged the pairs no faster than 3.3 amps on this 50 watt charger) - no heat/no puffing/no weirdness. Then I headed out for the pond an hour later.

I took one pair of the Haiyins out of the Ammo box and noticed that one of the cells, in one of the packs was puffed BIG TIME. I personally have never seen a single cell puffed this much. Needless to say, that pack didn't get used.

All the other packs (the two pairs of Turnigys and the other pair of Haiyins) ran fine.

Now back to that puffed pack. The puffing still hasn't gone down. I have discharged it to 3.7volts per cell (overnight - inside of a lipo sack - inside of my wood stove). I swear the thing looks bigger each time I look at it.

I looked back in my tracking file. That pack got run exactly 7 times in either a Motley Crew with a 42x55 or M445 prop (absolutely no longer than 3:30 per run) or a VS1 with a x642 detounged or x437/3 prop (either 3:30 or 4:00 per run) and it never read less than 3.78 volts per cell after a run. This pack (well none of them) was/were ever even warm after a run.

Glad I kept track, because looking back now, I'm amazed I actually have this few runs on this pack before it went south.

Anyway - the other pair of Haiyins still work, but I won't be buying any more of them.

I now have one orphaned Haiyin pack (the other one that had been paired up with this puffed pack) that I'll need to find something to do with too.

Now what do I do with that balloon/Haiyin pack to dispose of it? It's scary to look at.

Brushless55
11-04-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm not all that impressed with these packs much..
had them in my JAE PSpec today, and ........................

sampit
12-10-2012, 08:57 AM
From what i been told Haiyin packs are the same as the Tunigy packs Haiyan supply HK and HK rename them as turnigy.

dogg
12-23-2012, 04:47 AM
From what i been told Haiyin packs are the same as the Tunigy packs Haiyan supply HK and HK rename them as turnigy.

Is anyone able to verify this before I place my order?

Brushless55
12-23-2012, 11:31 AM

not sure how to know 100%
but I have several Haiyin packs and they are the same in many ways as my Turnigy packs
except some of my Haiyin packs are not holding up like the Turnigy ones :confused2:

dogg
12-30-2012, 04:34 AM
not sure how to know 100%
but I have several Haiyin packs and they are the same in many ways as my Turnigy packs
except some of my Haiyin packs are not holding up like the Turnigy ones :confused2:

Thankyou then turnigy it is...

norbique
05-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Haiyin is making packs for HK, they only rebrand them... just as they do with a lot of other stuff like motors too...

jstolz
05-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Now what do I do with that balloon/Haiyin pack to dispose of it? It's scary to look at.

You can soak the pack in a salt water solution for a couple of weeks. Then throw it away. I believe that the salt water mixture is a cup of salt in a gallon of water.

kendt
05-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Haiyin is making packs for HK, they only rebrand them... just as they do with a lot of other stuff like motors too...
I would bet that many of the packs out there are made by a few manufacturers. I see so many different name brands that look exactly like other brands. Unfortunately I doubt any manufacturer would ever admit to the other brands they are supplying.

Brushless55
05-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Thankyou then turnigy it is...

go with a 40C and bigger :biggrin: