PDA

View Full Version : Blue Printing Motley Crew

wakesurfer8
06-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Well i got into a blowover crash and the hull landed on the rocky shore...it got a little bent up, some dings here and there, and quite a few scratches. I have corrected the alignment of everything and epoxied the dings, but i figured that i would need to sand out the scratches. I had always kinda wanted to blueprint and scuff the hull. Blue-printing is basically just leveling the ride pads with a sanding block, right? And as for scuffing i have heard many different opinions, but i decided that most people like 400 grit, so i put that on a sanding block and started. I am a little worried that i might be sanding it too much because the white underneath the paint is showing and i know that scuffing is supposed to just take off the shiny coat of the paint...I'm just a little confused, so if someone could please give me a little bit of advice as of how to blue print and scuff the hull that would be greatly appreciated. Also, would rounding the rudder and sharpening it help at all? I am only a sport runner, but i would like to get the most speed and performance out of this boat as i can.

martin
06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Blueprinting on a cat hull means getting the ride pads flat,most cat ride pads have hollows in them that need to be made flat. This involves filling the hollows then sanding flat,its also important to end up with sharpe edges on the sides of the pads ecspecially at the rear of the pads. Re scuffing use 400- 600 wet & dry using it wet & sand lightly in linear strokes (foward to rear strokes ). Your only putting light sratches in the surface for a membrane of water to stick to so you dont start rubbing to heavily & end up going through paint or gel finish.

wakesurfer8
06-14-2012, 01:39 PM
alright thanks, that clarifies things, but do you know anything about the rudder?

wakesurfer8
06-15-2012, 09:24 AM
also, how and what would i fill the hollows with? epoxy?

Darin Jordan
06-15-2012, 09:30 AM
You would perform this work exactly how I did it on my Miss Geico. You should be able to get lots of information on my "Miss Geico Race Prep" thread on this forum.

Basically, a lot of block sanding and light-weight body filler... I have a couple of tricks shown in my thread that will make getting the edges sharp easier...