PDA

View Full Version : Servo upgrade

mickvk
06-13-2012, 10:38 PM
I run in very rough conditions (ski lake) and I'm upside down a lot. I am converting servos on all my boats to the Hitec waterproof ones. I had a little customization to do so I figured I'd share it and see what you guys think. Since the hitec is longer, I had to remove some of the wood servo mount. I was going to remove 2-3mm to allow it to fit, but the layers of plywood forming the screw holes and mount came apart so I removed all the material. What was left was a relief in the wood that the servo fit in but with no screw mount. What I did was put a good dollop of Shoe Goo on the side of the servo, drilled a hole in the stringer for a heavy duty zip tie, and cinched the servo down on the glue. Not an elegant solution, but it works.

The height was taller as well. This required me to flip the position of the ball link to the bottom of the servo horn. Fortunately this did not cause any interference with full throws.

I figured you'd like to see the Castle 1520 1Y in there too! Turnigy 180A ESC lets me run a variety of cell/prop combos so it's really a flexible power setup depending on whether I want to run long, fast, or in between.