PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Shops

iamandrew
06-09-2012, 01:13 AM
I live in newcastle in australia, took 3 hours this morning to go to 2 different (the two only) shops we have here, and a 1/4 brass tube is pretty rare stuff!

Not to mention, they asked what it is "for"

So im like oh its for a boat, and they were "Oh did you buy it from us?"

me " no it came from hobbyking", Hobbyshop = "Oh is that an online store" - IF they dont know who hobbyking is/are, thats pretty scary from a business point of view.

they then went on to say that their boats never have problems and go really fast, like 85kmph! .... from a brushed Kyosho jetstream........

It just makes me hate going to hobby shops, if you dont buy the stuff from them, they dont give a *!***!***!***!** about you, and everything is a "pain" and has to be ordered in.

whats worse, is that they dont stock virtually any rc boat gear, dont keep spare parts, and its usually a random slection from different companies.

RANT RANT RANT

drwayne
06-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Gday
Adelaide recently leaped out from beneath a single (petrol only) LHS rc boat domination when competition opened selling Chinese FE stuff.
Selection of gear suited over rtr FE are poor from either spot
Agreed, some LHS have no for king idea.

jm2cw

DocW

iamandrew
06-09-2012, 10:03 AM
The other thing that really "annoys" me, is like, if you go into a hobby shop and want a "LIPO" or a "Brushless" motor, just add a 0 to what ever price youd pay for it from even OSE.
they make it out to be this real RARE thing that's a billion dollars and you have to have years of experience to use lipo brushless setups.

m4a1usr
06-09-2012, 01:46 PM
I bet most of us can relate to the OP. We have a HobbyTown thats a local shop. These guys do carry a couple FE RTR but they are the typical SV27 and the Traxxas. However the expertise behind the counter is sorely lacking. I assume do to popularity, most if not the interest from consumers is centered around helo's, buggies and track cars. And since these guys are profit orriented theres little chance they will ever stock what we need. On the plus side ours does stock a herd of the building items. K&S tubing is abundent, pushrods, clevis, servo arms and the little stuff like screws and such.

There is another RC shop around, but its not really a hobby shop. He belongs to the local gasser club and at least can speak props and hull configurations. He's got many petrol boats and still thinks Electrics are years away from being competative. I dont argue. Just nod my head and talk technology. He's good for my ego once and awhile. If he only knew!

John

G-UNIT
06-09-2012, 03:33 PM
My LHS does carry alot of stuff for boats, props , collects, flex shafts tubing ect but lack knowledge on the subject of boats, expecially when it comes to 5.5 bullets verses deans.
They just don't get the amp thing and look at you like your nuts.
so I'm on my own, but again I can usually find what I'm looking for, struts, rudders ect.
all speed master stuff since its made right here in FL.

drwayne
06-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Difficult as it is for us aqua maniacs.. rc cars have a greater following than ours

The qty of rc car parts online or in stores overwhelms the availability of the gear we need.
Few stores exist that cater to our searches

Thank (insert deity name here) for OSE !!

regs W