PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy Aquastar 240amp ESC no power issue

stiks
06-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi everyone. I am pretty new to the hobby but hoping to get my feet wet soon. I have purchased a 50inch hydro from nitrorcx and i am pretty much done with the build and setup. Last night i started on the electrical setup. I already have my Aquastar 240amp with 8mm bullets soldered on everything..esc, motor and batteries. I have a specktrum dxc3 tx and a mr200 rx. I am using a 6v nimh battery pack as a power source for the rx.

I was able to bind the rx to the tx pretty easily as the tx has a pretty good interface for binding. You just scroll through the menu, select bind and then ...they bind. So after i did that i connected the motor, esc and lipo battery; 5c 5000mah pack (just using a single partially charged 5cell for testing purposes). In the directions for the aquastar...i connected the single esc cable to the esc..in the throttle port. I connected my rx battery to the bind port. While holding the the throttle on the tx to full i powered it on. The tx comes on with my model and then the rx powers on...looks normal. But the esc does nothing...no power to the motor no beeping no nothing.

Someone on my build log ...at rcgroups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1591421&page=18. Mentioned it might be a problem with throttle reverse not being setup and that some tx's/rx's or is it esc's....require that before they will work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stiks:help:

stiks
06-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Still reading.

The aquastar esc comes with a small Y cable attachment. That is used for programing the esc using the usb link that came with it. When you get the esc you have 2 ways power the unit up for programing. One way is by connecting the unit directly to a lipo battery then into the usb link using the same connector you use on the rx for throttle. The other way is to use a little Y cable that comes with the esc.. On the Y one end goes to the usb stick and the other connects to what looks like a short red and black power connector on the esc and then it ends in 2 loose red and black wires. I guess the idea is that power is provided solely over the usb link.

Well in a posting i read on the OSE forum....it sounds like using that Y connector someone connected there rx battery pack to those small red and black wires at the end of the Y...to power on the esc...which then feeds power to the rx. So in other words..no direct power to the rx....it goes to that red and black short connector on the esc...and it powers the rx??? ..here is the link from OSE its post #5 :

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...r+esc+no+power

stiks
07-18-2012, 10:53 AM
To close this out.... It turned out to be a bad ESC. I shipped the unit back to HK with an RMA number i obtained. After they checked it out they diagnosed it as being defective. Instead of giving me the money back i received a credit for the amount of the esc. I then used that credit to purchase another Aquastar 240amp ESC....what can i tell you..its a great price for a "swordfish" by another name...sic.Aquastar..anyway... I received the new esc about 3 weeks later and after putting new bullets on it the new unit powers up with no issue and i can see a green light on it as well.

Now all i have to do is get the programming right and im there....

Issue resolved.

785boats
07-18-2012, 02:45 PM
I find this to be a great programmer for the Swordfish 240A. Should work on the Turnigy too. Too many people in our club had problems with the USB programer.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hef-program-card&cat=136

oscarel
07-18-2012, 10:15 PM
USB program software now auto senses the comm port, makes connecting much easier.

Make-a-Wake
07-18-2012, 10:55 PM
I find this to be a great programmer for the Swordfish 240A. Should work on the Turnigy too. Too many people in our club had problems with the USB programer.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hef-program-card&cat=136

Yep, I dont ever use all this PC/Card high tech crap to program my stuff, for turingy I go by the beeps with my TX and can change setting right there in the filed due to memorizing them with the ESC's all being the same parameters.

Here's my "High tech" programmer with its lovely molex connector for a 6 cell nimh when programming it. I also have a tiny screwdriver to flip the switches.