PDA

View Full Version : NEW Pro Boat Power Systems by Dynamite!

Darin Jordan
06-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Pro Boat will no longer be branding power systems for their boats.

Today, Pro Boat announced that it's new line of boats will be powered by Dynamite motors and ESCs.

I thought I'd give a quick rundown.

Motors:

Both the 1500KV and 1800KV motors by Dynamite are technically speaking the same as the original Pro Boat 1500 and 1800KV motors. The specs are the same. However, they now come with their part numbers and branding etched into the parts, and with 4mm contacts. We may have to work with NAMBA to see what it's going to take to get them listed as official P-Limited motors. I have already discussed this with David Newland and had let him know (about a year ago... ;) ) that this was coming. They aren't available to the general public yet, so we don't need to worry about it for this years Nats, as I'm the only person who has any of them, and I won't be running them.

ESCs:

After some detailed discussions with Pro Boat, I convinced them that upgrading the wire size and contact size on their ESCs and motors would go a long ways toward improving out-of-the-box reliability. It's my opinion that a number of the ESC issues from the past were caused by the 3.5mm contacts coming de-soldered and shorting out the electronics. It's been very rare for an ESC that I've updated to 5.5mm contacts to fail without some serious abuse.

Dynamite is now supplying the ESCs. They are essentially the same as previous ESCs, except that they now will have 12-awg wire and 4mm contacts, a lipo/NiMH external switch, and will be supplied with EC3 battery leads instead of Deans.

The 45A ESC will only be offered in 2S/3S powered boats and will have a single battery lead.

The 60A ESC comes in the Miss Geico with the 1500KV motor and has the Y-Harness battery leads for two 2S packs

The new 80A ESC will come in higher performance offerings, and is officially supporting 6S power systems now. It's about 1/2" longer than the standard 60A ESC, and it's performance thus far has been excellent. I'll be running one in my Miss Geico for the Nats this year in P-Ltd Cat, P-Ltd Offshore, and perhaps another class...

I'll let you know as more develops. :spy: :tiphat:

http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/PRB4150_a4.jpg

airman66285
06-07-2012, 04:45 PM
All excellent developments - especially for newcomers to our hobby. The improvements will greatly improve reliability and increase the out-of-box "fun factor" until the owner decides to opt for performance upgrades later down the road.