PDA

View Full Version : Found one at my LHS- Shaft coupler will not loosen grip on flex!

skyword
06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Stopped into my LHS and they had just took delivery of one. Just happened to be the color I wanted too! (Red)
Everything looks great on this boat but I ran into a prob. when I tried to uncouple shaft to grease and check alignment! It will not let go of shaft! Wonder if it was over-tightened when manued?
Any Ideas/tricks to get it loose? Have never had this happen before!
Thanks,
JJ

dana
06-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Try heating it up. Soldering iron works well

skyword
06-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks dana, tried it but still will not let loose! That thing is jammed up good!
Thought about taking the prob and drive dog off and pulling it out the motor end but dont think the solid part will make it thru the bend in the stuffing tube!
Any other Ideas short off cutting it after running it a couple of times?

JJ

JimClark
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
How bout a light tap with a hammer after spraying with lube

dana
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Is it the coupler that won't loosen or is the shaft just stuck in the loose coupler?

dana
06-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I would just crank it until something either loosens or breaks. At this point, what difference would it make... It wasn't born there. Has to come off at some point.

skyword
06-05-2012, 10:55 PM
The coupler loosened fine. I've loosened it all the way off the threads. The flex shaft just will not pull out. I tried tapping it in both directions but still will not come free. May spray it with break free and let it set overnight.
Don't know that I will run it untill I can Grease the shaft as it doesn't apear to have any from the factory!

JJ

tlandauer
06-06-2012, 12:28 AM
I am going to say something and many may not agree: it has worked for me. After the "break-free" and if you still can't get it out, the only way I got mine out was pulling while twisting the prop CLOCKWISE! ( opposite rotation of the motor!) Place your other hand on the top part of the collet--the hex that is fastened to the motor shaft and try not to let it turn. Do not just pull: the force from pulling the shaft can't be good for the motor bearing and motor mount. It has to be this direction or other wise you wuould unwind the flex cable. Sometimes the end of the cable is not brazed well or something is not round and it tends to get very stuck inside the "teeth" of the collet. ( it is a collet, right?)
You may want to up grade the flex cable later when OSE makes it, AQ stock flexcable/shaft are known to have issues. Also after twisting it this way, I would no longer trust the bond between the cable and the stub shaft. You might have trouble putting it back also. I also replace my collet with the ones sold by OSE, I like them better.

Grimracer
06-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Tland

First thanks for choosing AquaCraft and sorry about the issue.

Lets try this

With the collet loose (like you have it) put on the 13mm wrench on the shaft side of the coupler.
With the prop in place (wrap a towel around it) turn the prop clockwise and pull out at the same time. Hold the 13mm wrench at the same time. Use as much force as needed.

Question: When you loosen the coupler does the shaft spin with the smaller part of the coupler?

Grim

skyword
06-06-2012, 04:23 PM
YES, holding the shaft side of the coupler and turning the prop clockwise set it free. Took quite a bit of torque to get it started and then probably was 3 or 4 turns before it would pull out!
The collet (part that crimps down?) fell out in 3 pieces. The shaft does have a burr or the wire strand sticking up very close to the end.

tlandauer- thanks for the assist!
Grim- thanks for the help! Though this problem was a little discouraging I do feel this boat is going to be great fun and I still remain happy with this purchase.

bdp1174
06-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Wondering if you could look in the inside of your hull at the screws that hold in the rudder,trim tabs and turn fins to see if there are bolts on them.This is what mine looks like and in the exploded views I see bolts.

longballlumber
06-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Nevermind...

Grimracer
06-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I had a suspicion something might have broke. Just was not making any since..

Did you contact Product Support to get a new part?

Man.. sorry about that.

The older SV couplers could be broken as well but when they did the smaller part would break free from the larger. Again you could not get the shaft out.

Grim

skyword
06-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Had a Octura coupler in my box. Installed that and all is good. Ran two sets of batts in it today!!
NICE, VERY NICE!
Handles great!
Good speed! Guessing mid 30's to 40ish. (Faster than my mostly stock greenish/yellow RTR Cat. You know the one!)
This is my first mono hull so was a little scary at first with it rolling a bit.
Seems to rock or chine walk at times. Where is a good CG for this baby! I didn't measure but ran one set of batts 1 in from front of tray and the 2nd 1 inch from back of tray. Farther back seemed better!

Grim- thanks for your concern on the coupler! Those things happen! Great job on this design! I'm loven it!

JJ

Grimracer
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks man

redwings.. fish.. good!

grim

stadiumyamaha
06-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Mine was also very hard to get out. The flex is not tinned and is unwinding from the factory.

skyword
06-09-2012, 10:30 PM
78570785717857278573Ran again today! Slightly choppy. Handled great! Fun-Fun!
Had a near miss with a Dog! A guy was throwing a decoy out for his dog to retrieve and I didn't see him untill I passed between the dog and the decoy! Probably missed the dog by 4 or 5 ft. I felt bad but the guy threw the thing into the middle of the pond and he had to have seen me as I had been running for a min or 2.
Signage at the pond says dogs must be on a 6 ft leash!

tlandauer
06-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Glad you are having a great time. Is that aProboat PT-109? Wish I grabed one while it was availeble. That guy really should paid attention to the rules and be more respectful of what other people are doing.

skyword
06-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Had to throw in a pic of my brothers PT 109, (previous reply) Its a Dumas kit. the old 48' one. It's nice.

I have a question! I have seven runs on my Revolt and its been great fun. Running it stock with two 7.4 volt 30c Gens Ace 5300 mah batts.
Question is do I need to oil the bearings on the motor or not? I have been trying to find a answer on the web but can't seem to find a straight one. Some say yes, some say no because you will wash out the grease that is in them! On my other RTR by a diff. manufacturer the motor bearings look sealed. On the Revolt they do not! Any help and insight on the oiling/maintenance of this motor will be aprieciated!
The manual does say to clean and oil!
Thanks,
JJ

tlandauer
06-18-2012, 12:38 AM
That Dumas kit is really nice! Love it!
Here is what I think: periodic oiling of the bearings is good, I do it every now and then. Use good quality oil, I emptied an oiler with a long metal needle ( blunt tip of course). Filled it with Mobil-1 Syn. oil. ( 10w-30, what I use for my car). I put a drop or two on the rear bearing ( not the one at the collet end) and tilt the boat so the rear of the motor is facing the sky, turn the shaft by hand until the oil has disppeared. Do the same on the other end, here is where the needle comes in handy, you can pin point it around the collet and still drop the oil on the bearing, tilt the boat so the bow is pointing the floor.Turn the shaft. I do this when I pull the flex out, it is just easier that way. On these AQ 6-pole motors it is hard to crank by hand, put I never run the motor on batteries because the high RPM will just fling the oil off.

rotax583
07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
just received my new revolt ran it for two runs saturday wow I love it took out sunday runs awesome figured I should probably grease the shaft went to pull out after loosening the collet it was stuck good also tried turning it clockwise like said in your thread still wont go so I decided to take the prop off and pull out other side a little to actually be able to see inside the coller ,after i removed the motor I pulled the prop off the set screw wasnt in the macine slot it was actually inside the brass bushing the dog wore into the bushing wrecked that not good looked inside the collet I pulled the cable up to the bend the cable is unwound inside the coller still wont come out now I will have to cut off will aquacraft go good for all of this I am pretty bummed out I have two ul1s and never had any problems I never had to call them before so I was wondering do they stand behind their products? I love the boat but I spent a good chunk of change on this and dont want to spend that much more.