PDA

View Full Version : *** Atlanta Model Boaters Grand Prix - July 14th & 15th 2012 ***

Doug Smock
06-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Hey Fellas,

We are now taking entries for the 3rd stop of the year on the Grand Prix circuit!

Come join in the fun as we are offering something for everyone (gas, nitro, & electric classes are being offered).

For more information and to enter the event please visit http://www.RCRacingEvents.com.

Thanks,
Doug :tiphat:

Chilli
06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Hey Doug, Do you guys follow the appearance rules tightly for offshore in D13? We're pretty easy going in D12. If it's a mono or cat, it can run.

I see you entered in Open Mono. I think I'm going for Gas Mono and Offshore to avoid your intimidation tactics on the drivers stand.:laugh:

Doug Smock
06-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey Doug, Do you guys follow the appearance rules tightly for offshore in D13? We're pretty easy going in D12. If it's a mono or cat, it can run.

I see you entered in Open Mono. I think I'm going for Gas Mono and Offshore to avoid your intimidation tactics on the drivers stand.:laugh:

LOL Mike.
No we are pretty relaxed for the GP races.
Looking forward to seeing you and John again!
Doug

Doug Smock
06-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Chris, Mason, Mr. Moonlighter, Ron, I hope your boats are faster than your entries!! LOL
Man, even Ole Reed has already entered.:laugh:
Giterdone!!
D.

HydroMike
06-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Mike u kidding that D13 gang is the most easiest and relaxed place to be racing. U do have to watch that doug guy he's trouble lol

Chilli
06-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I don't know Mike. Last year Reed was pitting for me in Open Mono and was ready to break out a tire iron on a few of those gas guys. And that Smock guy was riding the FE guys like Smarty Jones in the Preakness. :laugh: Seriously, we had such a great time, we decided to make the 10 hour trip again this year. Why dont you come down and join us??

I hear Ron and Dick are afraid to run against my $79 TS-3!!! :laugh:..............:hide:

carlcisneros
06-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey Mike;
want to take my Twin FE Insane and run it in Open Mono?
You are welcome to use it and take the chargers with you and such.
I am sure you could give Doug a good run for his money with it. :banana:

ron1950
06-28-2012, 12:49 AM
hey chilli where do u stay for this race?

Chilli
06-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Hey Ron, I stayed in Union City last year. Cant remember which hotel off the bat. There are a clump of them right off the highway. Only 10 minutes from the race site.

Thanks for the offer Carl but I'll already have too many batteries to charge....and you know what happened last time I was in a rush...:flashfire: Plus I'm going to run the Vector in Open Mono.

I've got a little pond time with the N Mono I bought from Dick. She seems to be dialed in pretty well. I'm running a detounged and bar cut (actually V) 442. She may be running a little too warm (just the motor). Did you say that was the correct prop for the 6L Doug???

Doug Smock
06-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Hey fellas,
Bring P Power Skiffs if ya got em. We're going to run em exhibition style. It looks like we'll have at least four if Ron makes the trip.

I wish you could make it Carl!
Doug
PS So Dick and Ron are afraid of your TS 3 huh Mike:hornets_nest:??

ron1950
06-28-2012, 10:39 PM
iam not scared unless he finds a 13 year girl to run it.....then its time to run away....

Doug Smock
06-28-2012, 10:48 PM
I've got a little pond time with the N Mono I bought from Dick. She seems to be dialed in pretty well. I'm running a detounged and bar cut (actually V) 442. She may be running a little too warm (just the motor). Did you say that was the correct prop for the 6L Doug???
Yep, We're running de tongued 442s that are back cut approx 1.5mm. Typical motor temp after a heat is 130'.

Chilli
06-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Okay Doug thanks. We were on vacation and I didnt have my gun with me. John just told me it felt hot when he pulled the tape. 130 can feel pretty hot to the touch. Will take some readings next time we hit the pond.

Ron, I was actually talking about Ron Shaw from my district who is attending the race. But the same goes with you. Bring on your high dollar hull....:rockon2:

ron1950
06-28-2012, 11:22 PM
woops...... lol high dollar hull that has a bad habit of making 3 out of 4 turns.....every now and then it just says ok time to roll over and play dead.....oh great ron shaw is coming too? just another tunnel to finish behind!!!!

maybe ron will give me a few tunnel lessons

Doug Smock
07-03-2012, 06:30 PM
41 racers and 133 boats with three days left to enter.
The FE classes are looking good!
Thanks fellas,
Doug

Chilli
07-03-2012, 08:40 PM
The boats are ready. I've got the whole family coming down. The wife wants to check out the Atlanta Aquarium. Gonna need a U-Haul. :buttrock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZdeg_fL-I

Doug Smock
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
The boats are ready. I've got the whole family coming down. The wife wants to check out the Atlanta Aquarium. Gonna need a U-Haul. :buttrock:

Too cool Mike!
Mrs. Smock will be on the stand. You'll have to get the Mrs. to come by and say hello
I'm trying to figure out how I can possibly repay you for the generosity you showed me over on Jims.
I'm sure I'll think of something.:welcome::flashfire: LOL

Getting quite a bit of rain this evening. We'll have a brand new surface to race on.:beerchug:

D.

Chris Harris
07-04-2012, 09:55 AM
She's gonna love the Georgia Aquarium (the one in Atlanta) That place is AWESOME! Those Whale sharks are unreal.
I took my son there a few years ago after a race, had a lot of fun.

See you guys soon,
Chris

Chilli
07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
You better behave Doug or I'll have Dick Loeb lead the D12 war dance. :bounce:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cle20lQg0Qs

It will be nice to finally meet you Chris. Looking forward to a fun, safe weekend of racing. With all the crap thats been posted on the boards lately, a good weekend of racing with friends is all it takes to justify the time and expense we put into this hobby.

Over 150 boats registered and it looks like all classes have the minimum entries to run!! :beerchug:

detox
07-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Does IMPBA still allow a one racing event pass. I remember you could pay to race in one event without having a full year membership.

Chilli
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
I believe thats only for current NAMBA or APBA members.

http://www.impba.net/attachments/085_Single%20Event%20App..pdf

detox
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
She's gonna love the Georgia Aquarium (the one in Atlanta) That place is AWESOME! Those Whale sharks are unreal.
I took my son there a few years ago after a race, had a lot of fun.

See you guys soon,

Chris

I hate driving in Atlanta. The Aquarium is almost as hard to find as Naturally Fresh pond is. I get lost everytime I go to that pond.

Doug Smock
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
You better behave Doug or I'll have Dick Loeb lead the D12 war dance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cle20lQg0Qs

It will be nice to finally meet you Chris. Looking forward to a fun, safe weekend of racing. With all the crap thats been posted on the boards lately, a good weekend of racing with friends is all it takes to justify the time and expense we put into this hobby.

That's funny Mike, looks like Dick when he takes 2nd place behind his lovely bride.:laugh:
Oh the crap on the board lately is nothing. I plan on doing a bit of preaching at the drivers meeting. No worries though, I realize that there will be women and children present.:wink:
Do you want to pit where you did last time. I need to know where to set up the "Fire Station" LOL:just-kidding:

This is shaping up to be the biggest GP of the year, I'm stoked!!
Doug

PS There's gonna be lots of this when you guys see my boats run.:tt2::laugh::wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=95SYdjRVCR0&NR=1

Doug Smock
07-04-2012, 10:46 AM
I hate driving in Atlanta. The Aquarium is almost as hard to find as Naturally Fresh pond is. I get lost everytime I go to that pond.

That's because you don't come by enough Keith!:tongue::wink:
Come see us!

Doug Smock
07-06-2012, 09:24 AM
*LAST DAY TO GET THOSE ENTRIES IN!!!*

With *51 *racers and *168* boats, the race is shaping up to be one of the largest Grand Prixs *EVER*!:buttrock:

Thanks fellas!
Doug

detox
07-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I am not a IMPBA member. Can I put my entry in, then sign up for IMPBA 1 year membership Saturday morning at the pond?

ron1950
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Nautiboyz;433400]I believe thats only for current NAMBA or APBA members.

not sure its the same thing but they charged me 10 bucks estra to race and i am current namba member....are we talking about the same thing? not sure

Doug Smock
07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I am not a IMPBA member. Can I put my entry in, then sign up for IMPBA 1 year membership Saturday morning at the pond?

Yes sir, you sure can!
What classes are you going to run?
We need to get you signed up as a AMB member as well. We're going to need some help in the retrieve boat.:laugh::wink:
Doug:beerchug:

Doug Smock
07-06-2012, 11:51 AM
not sure its the same thing but they charged me 10 bucks estra to race and i am current namba member....are we talking about the same thing? not sure

I'm not sure how that works with RcRacingevents having never run the program myself, but we'll figure it out at check in.:wink:
D.

Doug Smock
07-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Chilli,
When will you and John be rolling down Naturally Fresh Blvd.?

D.

detox
07-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I just entered. I have my swim trunks ready :Praying:

Doug Smock
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I just entered. I have my swim trunks ready :Praying:

Too cool Keith!!
We'll get you hooked up with a good pitman!:thumbup1:
Your life is getting ready to change.:w00t:
D.

Chilli
07-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Doug, We wil be leaving Friday AM. Will hopefully get there around 6pm to unload. I'm renting a Uhaul trailed to make things a little easier.

Looks like the wicked heat is going to break by early next week. We're going to be over 100 again tomorrow in the mid-Atlantic. Long term forecast for Atlanta is 89'ish on Friday. I'll take that!!

RC Racing Events is showing 55 racers and 176 boats. Congrats!!! :thumbup1: Should be a hoot!!!

BTW- I just now saw your post from the 4th reserving me a spot near the fire station. Mr Smockerator, I request your post be removed and this thread shut down.....:tongue:
(For those of you that don't know, I was helping host our district race last month. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off running four heats back to back, cooking lunch for the troops and giving the CD breaks..... Now throw in a slopy charging area and I ended up plugging the positive bullet of a 4s pack into the negative side of the same pack!! The IMPBA should make a rule prohibiting this!!! Any how the 5.5 bullet vaporized in my hand. The end result looked allot worst than it actually was. My hands were covered in black soot. I only suffered first degree burns on two of my fingers. There was nothing left of the male bullet. I hate looking like a dumass but if people learn from my mistake, it's all good!!)

ron1950
07-06-2012, 09:04 PM
hey doug if i go south on i285 to hwy14 and go west to berlinton and go south to naturally fresh where do u turn to the lake? the picture of the lake shows a white dirt road past the lake.....other then that i cant see anything there......it is the lake on the north side of the road right? not the south lake....btw i need a place to pit within 100 ft of chilli's generator lol

Chilli
07-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Ron, Do a google map of this address 1070 Naturally Fresh Boulevard, Atlanta, GA

The pond is south of the blvd on the eastern shore. Zoom in on the satellite view and you can see the race course. You'll might miss the entrance to the pond the first time but you'll realize it immediately and it's an easy U turn.

ron1950
07-06-2012, 10:17 PM
ok its the south lake? ya found it on southeast side of soutern lake

Doug Smock
07-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Ok Mike.
I'm going to save you a spot right where you were last time. You know, if ya don't mind being close to that Dick Loeb guy. I put up with him cause Carol is such a cool lady :laugh::wink:
How big is your genset?

Ron, when you come down Naturally Fresh Blvd. the pond is at the bottom of the hill on the left (south), can't miss it.
Do you have a canopy?? How big??
I always try to get all of the FE guys in the same area. You may be an exception though. I have plenty of drop cords.:laugh::tongue: J/K

Keith is ready to rock also.

Remember, the Atlanta Grand Prix is run buy the ladies of D13. Wendy "You are over Morton" is your primary CD. Julie Gilley is the secondary CD. Birdy Mulvany, and Sondra Smock are your score keepers. That's eight eyes on ya fellas, you need to know two words, yes ma'am:biggrin:

REALLY looking forward to it!
Thanks for supporting D13 and the AMB!
D.
No I don't really type that slow, I got distracted.

Chilli
07-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks Doug. Next to Carol would be great. Dick is not so bad but he is always looking to borrow mass quantities of epoxy. :doh: The gen a 4400 watt unit (about 2 feet cubed) so I'll have plenty of juice to share. I'm only running a fan and power supply for the chargers.

Doug Smock
07-06-2012, 11:00 PM
LOL Poor Dick. He's gonna try to hand us our tails you know that right? ha ha
We'll have plenty O power, sweet!!
Thanks,
D.

ron1950
07-06-2012, 11:15 PM
mine is kinda small just 10x10 i think manybe 8 x 8 not sure

Doug Smock
07-06-2012, 11:35 PM
mine is kinda small just 10x10 i think manybe 8 x 8 not sure

Got ya!
D.

Doug Smock
07-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Ok,we got the place all cleaned up today!:thumbup: The pond is a bit low but we are supposed to get some rain the first of the week.:Praying:

This race turned out to be the largest Grand Prix ever. 180 boats entered! That's something considering the GP Series has been going for 12 years now!
Too cool!!
Thanks fellas, see ya soon!
Doug

Chilli
07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm stoked!! All the boats are ready to go. Just got to get the tool box and spares organized. Should be a blast!!

ron1950
07-08-2012, 10:39 PM
did all that yesterday greased up everything tightened a few screws and colets etc

properchopper
07-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Ok Mike.
I'm going to save you a spot right where you were last time. You know, if ya don't mind being close to that Dick Loeb guy. I put up with him cause Carol is such a cool lady :laugh::wink:
How big is your genset?

Ron, when you come down Naturally Fresh Blvd. the pond is at the bottom of the hill on the left (south), can't miss it.
Do you have a canopy?? How big??
I always try to get all of the FE guys in the same area. You may be an exception though. I have plenty of drop cords.:laugh::tongue: J/K

Keith is ready to rock also.

Remember, the Atlanta Grand Prix is run buy the ladies of D13. Wendy "You are over Morton" is your primary CD. Julie Gilley is the secondary CD. Birdy Mulvany, and Sondra Smock are your score keepers. That's eight eyes on ya fellas, you need to know two words, yes ma'am:biggrin:

REALLY looking forward to it!
Thanks for supporting D13 and the AMB!
D.
No I don't really type that slow, I got distracted.

Wait just a second; isn't Naturally Fresh Blvd. the road to that Nudist Colony ? I wanna see pictures of this race .

Good luck, have fun, and keep your "props" :wink: wet !!

ron1950
07-09-2012, 04:44 PM
hey doug...plugged into my gps the lake address....gps went nuts...said it was 335 miles and pointed me in the wrong direction.....then it poped and said it was 380 miles and pointed to I20 hmmmm also said that the destination was at least a mile past the two lakes lol.....hope this isnt a oman !!!!!

Doug Smock
07-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Maybe this will help.
http://www.atlantamodelboaters.com/directions.html

D.

ron1950
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
really nice looking lake..what is the white stuff on the lake pic?

Doug Smock
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that is ripples from the wind and reflections off of the water. That is pretty common around here.:laugh:

Please note. The red and yellow lines that mark the oval and offshore courses aren't really there.:tongue::wink: But someone will be there to show you the way around.:hornets_nest::biggrin:

Doug

ron1950
07-09-2012, 07:02 PM
are u sure? i am pretty sure i saw a red and yellow line in the lake.......hell i dont need anyone to tell me where the course is...i need something to keep my tunnel up rite

Doug Smock
07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
are u sure? i am pretty sure i saw a red and yellow line in the lake.......hell i dont need anyone to tell me where the course is...i need something to keep my tunnel up rite

The throttle normally works pretty good for that. It and the round knob thingy. lol

D.

Doug Smock
07-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I hope you guys had fun I know I did. I'm feeling my age though.LOL
Ron it was nice to meet you. Keith it was good to have you back at the pond again! Hope to see you at the next one!

I'll try this evening to round up the scores and get them posted.

Thanks for supporting the Grand Prix fellas!
D.

ron1950
07-17-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm feeling my age though

doug wait till u get in your 60's and over weight like me....then u feel your age...your still young and all that...next time put fe skiffs as a class we had 4 boats there and never got to run them except on open water morning !!!!