PDA

View Full Version : How to charge dead lipos.....sorry if this has been talked about already

mrproc1
06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey Ya'll
I have two TRAXXAS 3cell 5000 lipos, they are both 'dead'. I have the EZ PEAK PLUS 6amp charger. I've read I can charge them for a short amount of time in NiMh mode just for a couple minutes to put a couple volts back in them, then fully charge them in lipo mode?? Has anyone done this, if so...PLEASE HELP!?

TheShaughnessy
06-13-2012, 09:13 PM
if you are going to try it do it outside and have some buckets of dirt or something near by. Don't try to put out a lipo fire with water.

Remmie81
06-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Yes you can charge them for 5-10 min on Nimh mode.
After that, charge them normally. If it didnt "wake them up" then you have to replace them.

NativePaul
06-14-2012, 06:22 AM
How are they dead? if they are over discharged but not puffed they may be able to be revieved by charging them up, may chargers these days sense cell count from the initial voltage and if it sees a 4s pack for example at under 12v it wont charge it as it thinks that you are trying to charge a 3s pack on the 4s setting (which may well result in a fire), what you can do is tell it your flat 4s pack is a 3s pack and it will charge it with the safe constant current constant voltage regime up to 12.6v at which point you will be able to tell the charger that it is the 4s pack that it is and it should continue to charge it as normal from then on, although the first balance will probably be a long one. as suggested earlier, if you are at all unsure f a pack (as you would be if it is dead) you should charge it outside in a fire safe environment and monitor the charge and pack well monitored.

NativePaul
06-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Oops.

JIM MARCUM
06-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Hey Ya'll
I have two TRAXXAS 3cell 5000 lipos, they are both 'dead'. I have the EZ PEAK PLUS 6amp charger. I've read I can charge them for a short amount of time in NiMh mode just for a couple minutes to put a couple volts back in them, then fully charge them in lipo mode?? Has anyone done this, if so...PLEASE HELP!?

Don't do it!!! Buy a new LIPO and properly dispose of the dead ones. It's just not worth it. :flashfire:

JIM:spy:

CHIEFY_44
06-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Yes you can bring cells back toife but its very dangerous process, never leave it in attended, yes do it in a safe area, and when you do do it make sure you have a blinky attached to the balencing lead, this will spread the charge process to all the cells making sure that all the cells get charged to the same voltage, when you do this yes you use the nimh setting but you set the charge rate at a very very low rate right now I forget the setting but its like .2 amps. When the blinky starts to flash its neons for the right amount of cells in the pack you then stop charging the pack, change the setting on charger to Lipo attach the balancing board to the pack and charge at 1c rate but again never leave it unattended just incase.

CHIEFY_44
06-30-2012, 01:45 PM
The setting to use the blinky to bring low volt reading cells back is 1/10 the cell milliamps eg 2000 mah u use .2 amps. Hope this helps

carlcisneros
07-01-2012, 09:17 PM
mrproc1;
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!
go ahead and get new packs and be SAFELY done with it.
Otherwise you could quite possibly end up with a ..........................:flashfire:

I have seen it happen trying to revive a dead battery.

Doug Smock
07-01-2012, 09:27 PM
mrproc1;
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!
go ahead and get new packs and be SAFELY done with it.
Otherwise you could quite possibly end up with a ..........................:flashfire:

I have seen it happen trying to revive a dead battery.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/280896110175?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar