PDA

View Full Version : Cooling a HV Novak

Wakesurfer
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I did a search, but didn't come up with anything that seemed to fit. I want to a put a Novak HV 6.5 in my Blackjack. I have a 120a Castle ESC ordered and the motor sitting here. What would be my best option for cooling the Novak HV? I think I'm going to need a coupler for 1/8th shaft to drive flex shaft. I'll be putting a TLR Skater II kit, but it looks like its the same diameter flex shaft. Any suggestions for coupler and cooling? Thanks

RCprince
05-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I don't think it's gonna work..The Novak HV 6.5 is sensored and the CC 120 is a sensorless ESC...The Novak 6.5 has 5 ( I believe) additionnal wire that tell the esc where the rotor is. read this link http://www.rcboataholic.com/motors/motor_brushless.htm

Wakesurfer
05-07-2008, 11:41 PM
I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is that a sensorless ESC can run either type of motor. A sensored ESC cannot run a sensorless motor. The sensorless ESC will read the magnetic fields of either type of motor, you just give up things like motor temp sensors. This combo has been recomended by a boat racer at MaxAmps Nitrokillers, only I think he used an ETI 100A ESC. Bill Oxidean, he recomended the Etti water jacket that he uses. Guess I'll use that unless somone has a better suggestion.

RCprince
05-07-2008, 11:45 PM
You maybe correct I'm sure some of the experts will way in on this...But it seems logical since the sensorless esc have all the components built in..

Wakesurfer
05-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Along with cooling the motor, anybody have any prop suggestions for a BJ26 with a Skater II, Novak HV 6.5 on 3S Lipo? I have a pair of 3S 8k MA packs coming, planning to run them parallel. 11.1V at 16,000mah should give me decent speed and runtime. My HYDRA 120A was slightly delayed. Monsters took over the Castle, but now they have all been set free.

jeffm912
05-14-2008, 02:06 PM
The esc/ motor combo is fine. A sensorless esc will run both motor types. HV 6.5 is a 3400kv motor. So a 3s will put it at 37740 rpm's. That is a lot of turns on that motor. I would suggest something in the range of a 536 prop maybe up to a 637 at the most. That motor might not handle the amp load on it though.

On a ribbed can you might get away with 2 of the aquacraft silicone coolers, they will stretch enough to fit, the only problem would be with the grooves in the can it could leak unless you have some silicone to put around the coolers. Just my opinion. Your best bet would be to sell that motor and get a nemesis 8-9xl for that boat. You'd be much happier and the motor will last. I have always had problems with Novak brushless motors. I will never use them again in any application.

Jeff

Wakesurfer
05-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the prop suggestions. If they survive, I'll have a pair of F. 7XL motors to try as well. They are temporaries until the Nue motors come in for the 3905 Maxx race trucks my son and I are running. Maybe I missed something, but I thought the Novak HV 6.5 was meant to haul a 10lb+ monster truck around on 4S. I'm still new to the RC boat thing, but I'm learning. Boats seem to spend a lot more time at WOT, but I don't see that being a brick wall for a decent motor. Guess I should look into an ET data logger to help keep me from letting the smoke out though.