PDA

View Full Version : Dupli-color metal specks paint, two thumbs down

roadrashracing
05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
I started with a white hull, and bought this green paint. I read the can a few times and there was nothing about backing this paint with another color. There was a black window on the hatch and I feathered it to blend it in to the white. First coat I did really lite. After about three coats I noticed that the white was still kind of showing and the black window that was kind of sanded off was still showing. I used a clear dupli color primer that helps paint stick better. After six coats the white still kind of fads and the black window is bright as day leaving a finish I am not really happy with. I don't know much about paint, but if this stuff does need a backing color it should be on the can. 77740

Chris Harris
06-01-2012, 07:28 AM
When dealing with an unfamiliar paint try doing a test piece first.
Saves a lot of headache because you know what you getting into before you commit to putting it on your project.
I use this method to test paint compatibility as well.

Chris

properchopper
06-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I've been using that paint for years. It's great for hiding flaws in crash-damage repairs. You're correct in finding that the finish is dependant on undercoat reflectivity. This goes for any paint job. For a darker look I shoot it over dark grey or black primer ( or for a brighter look shoot over white primer)

I then coat with enamel clear to keep from lifting during tape removal.

The degree of "metalflakey" grainy-ness depends on how many coats you apply. For a real "flakey" look shoot a minimum of dry coats at a distance and no clearcoat ( it will dull somewhat over time, 'tho)

roadrashracing
06-03-2012, 10:26 PM
it chips off really easy!

dana
06-05-2012, 07:58 AM
All paint looks different over different colors. Red over white for ex. Looks different then when you spray over black. Lesson learned for you.
Don't trash the paint.... The paint does what it's designed to do, and does the same thing every time. It's human error when it doesn't work.