PDA

View Full Version : scuffing

kssi
05-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi guys, new the boat world and keep seeing people say the scuff the botom. just wondering what this really does, and the reasoning behind it. let me know.. thanks kenny

Mich. Maniac
05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
The trick is you do that and it somewhat airates the spot while running. I really dont see it needed on these boats even in race setup. It MAY actually allow some better tuning for the ride however. Sometimes the slick hull will stick to the water and if you over adjust you might be fighting what you know should be true.

ETOWNE
05-07-2008, 02:50 PM
That's for prepping for paint. It gets rid of that ugly blue that comes w/ it.lol...:doh:

SweetAccord
05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
The ideas is to help eliminate friction between the hull and the water that comes into contact with the hull to help create tiny air bubbles to reduce the friction of the water helping to make the boat(s) go faster.

SweetAccord
05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
That's for prepping for paint. It gets rid of that ugly blue that comes w/ it.lol...:doh:

Um that was sooo funny that you should post that in the Jokes and Funny Links!

ETOWNE
05-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Um that was sooo funny that you should post that in the Jokes and Funny Links!

What are buddies for right ? I take more ridcule from my friends some times than what customers can give me. Actually, KSSI is a graphics guy, I bet he comes up with some smooth stuff for it.

kburrows
10-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I wanted to ask the same thing but found this first, so whats the process behind scuffing a hull, is it a special chemical or surface coating to whip on the hull, what and how is the application on a hull. thx

Rex R
10-12-2008, 11:22 AM
well you take a bit of 320-400grit sandpaper...and lightly sand the bottom of the hull using a fore and aft motion untill the gloss is gone...;)

kburrows
10-12-2008, 12:12 PM
wait, wouldnt that make the boat drag more to the water??? Well i guess it could make it smoother but doesnt sound like it will make the hull glide because you will have an un finished or rough suface. Is there any coating you put on it after?

thx

Ctonez
10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
a waxed or glossed surface creates "stiction" by creating a seal on the surface that allows the water to bead.
Scuffing breaks that seal so the water creates a sheen/layer on the ride surface which has less friction because it is then riding "water-against-water".

ibyte
10-13-2008, 09:13 PM
wait, wouldnt that make the boat drag more to the water??? Well i guess it could make it smoother but doesnt sound like it will make the hull glide because you will have an un finished or rough suface. Is there any coating you put on it after?

thx
scuffing is a user choice but it has been proven by other members to add speed to your runs and i did mine i cant really tell. The SV spends most of its time with the hull out of the water anyway at WOT:laugh: its also so the hull dosnt blind you during a barrel roll or flip:laugh:

rockwerks
10-13-2008, 09:25 PM
scuffing is used during the America Cup races, different textures for different water. They have even tried simulated shark skin that felt like sandpaper. it increased the hull speed by over 4% and then was banned by the competition committee

ibyte
10-13-2008, 09:29 PM
scuffing is used during the America Cup races, different textures for different water. They have even tried simulated shark skin that felt like sandpaper. it increased the hull speed by over 4% and then was banned by the competition committee

wow rockwerk thats cool info!! simulated shark skin wow great info thanks!!:thumbup1:

rockwerks
10-13-2008, 09:55 PM
wow rockwerk thats cool info!! simulated shark skin wow great info thanks!!:thumbup1:

banned after the win that is...it is actually NASA technoligy that was released to the public sector....http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/factsheets/Riblets.html

ibyte
10-13-2008, 09:58 PM
banned after the win that is...it is actually NASA technoligy that was released to the public sector....http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/factsheets/Riblets.html

thanks for the link rockwerk:thumbup1:

MAYDAY
10-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Another option would be rain x or a wax.
Rex r you are the most trust worthy on any topic what do you say?

Rex R
10-14-2008, 03:03 AM
I've heard that; wax works, it doesn't work... however I've been told that scuffing works!. I haven't intentionally scuffed a hull to try it though(unintentionally yes... then had to get out the 'glass and epoxy ;))
edit
you only need scuff the last third of the sv hull(the ride surface)

Ctonez
10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Another option would be rain x or a wax.
Rex r you are the most trust worthy on any topic what do you say?

those will be slower.
my speeds with scuffing were 3-7mph different compared to same setup with gloss overcoat, rainx, or carnuba.

Scuff for speed, shine/wax for looking pretty and making passes for the cameras:wink:.

AlanN
10-14-2008, 07:51 PM
The scuffing actually helps retain some moisture to the hull. Wet sand with approx 600 grit. You don't have to grind all the gel coat off.

kburrows
10-22-2008, 07:13 PM
those will be slower.
my speeds with scuffing were 3-7mph different compared to same setup with gloss overcoat, rainx, or carnuba.

Scuff for speed, shine/wax for looking pretty and making passes for the cameras:wink:.
which grit paper did you use on your hull? thx

Electro
11-28-2008, 10:37 AM
My neihbor is an rc boat fanatic he has over 13 boats and all of them are all scuffed on the bottom, i said what the heck let me try it, i got some sand paper not sure what number but i took out all the shine and made it a little ruff, i do notice the boat faster like 2 or 3 mph. There is an east test for that, i have notice before i sanded it when i would go full speed and let go og the trottle the boat would glide for 4 or 5 feet and stop, when i scuffed it the boat would glide through the water maybe about 15 feet or so, you can really see the diffrence.