PDA

View Full Version : Foaming and fiberglass work **new guy**

Speedr
05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey Guys,

I new to the forum.

Previously when I was 14 I had a Kyosho Jet Stream, and now that I'm 30, I've upgraded to a MC.

Currently, I'm running 42x55 prop and 4S lipos.

A couple weeks ago, I had a minor collision with a Traxxas spartan a couple weeks ago. The very point of the Spartan hull hit the side of my boat where the skulls/spiderwebs are. There is about a half dollar size of fiberglass "caved in" and the top deck of the boat took a little damage too(I'll post pics later).

I have basically no fiberglass expirence, so I'm coming here for help :).

I'm assuming that I need to cut out the damaged fiberglass with a dremel, and lay new.

I bought some fiberglass tape, fiberglass cloth, epoxy, etc not knowing exactly what I needed. I think I'll got to west marine and get some fiberglass and resin too.

Questions:

1) Since I already have a hole in the boat, I bought 2 part foam from Kintec. I was certain about foaming my hull, but now I'm reading some info on it making the boat heavy. Is this something I should be concerned about?

2) do I just completely fill the hull with foam? After looking at some MG threads, looks like they only put foam along the sponsons. I don't think its possible with the MC because there is no way for me to get into the hull other than the hole thats already there.

3) I've searched, but can anyone point me to some good threads about repairing damaged hulls? I'm wondering how I can do this when I cant get to the inside of the hull to repair it from the back. How can I properly lay the glass on the hull from the outside?

Thanks for answering my questions. I'd like to be a contributing member of the forum, but need some experience first :).

I'll take pics and post them later.

Thanks again, usually my sentence structure is a little better, but I'm off to a meeting.

Thanks,