PDA

View Full Version : Where To Buy Batteries?

Kent55
05-16-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm looking for 8.4V NiMh batteries.
Where can I get the BEST/lowest price batteries?
Thanks for your help.

The boat uses Dean connectors. Is this style battery okay to use?

http://www.rcboca.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/n/vnr1532.jpg

sanyijr
05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Hey Kent,

Just noticed your post... Little buried. But did you get it figured out? There are lots to consider here. What is your general setup? You NEED a high amp output pack? Looking at a 7-cell NIMH correct, not the 6-cell as shown.

As your amps draw capabilities go up, typically so does price....

Ever thought of LIPO conversion. I know Tower sells good NIMH packs but they are $50. You can get a 2 or 3 cell lipo in the 3000-4000mah range and a brushed esc (depending on what you are running) for $35-$50 total. So converting might be cheaper and better. If you have a compatible charger....?

You have the Impulse 26 by chance? Give me a littel more info and I'd be glad to point you to some sites....:thumbup1:

Kent55
05-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks for your reply. I did get batteries already.
I just got my first real boat - SuperVee 27R
Talking to Aquacraft the employee recommended 6-cell so that's what I got.
I do have a Lipo charger but didn't want to do the extra expense of the ESC at this time.
I ended getting Duratrax DTX series 7.2V 5000mAh for CHEAP!

Basstronics
05-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Wow ten steps back on technology.

Get the Lipos. Be happy.

sanyijr
05-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow ten steps back on technology.

Get the Lipos. Be happy.

That's not being very helpful....(I assume your displeasure is directed towards the hobby shop, right? So in that case, I would agree)

Kent, the 27R has a brushless motor and esc correct? (I don't have one, so confirm this) But assuming it is brushless, and the esc is lipo compatible, you could switch over pretty easy.
If you are happy with the NIMH, good. It can take tons of abuse and no real risks in overcharging etc. But when you are ready for more speed, that is one direction to consider....

What are the specs on theat boat as far as esc, motor, prop....?

Sean

xlandguy
05-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Actualy it is being a little helpful. He says to "get the lipo's" well, that is good advice. I see no reason at all to run NIMH. Not for water proofing, not for savings, not for runtimes, no reason. Unless you have a phobia, or have no way to charge them. Lipo's are the way to go and all yu have to do is monitor them with a cheap LVA if you don't have LVC on your ESC.
Some will take issue with the waterproofing, but unless you plan on submerging your truck Lipo's will be fine. I've soaked hardcase lipos, (in my boat) opened them up, dried them out very well and no ill affects that I can detect.

mtbenjamin77
05-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I think the reason he bought the NIMH's cause they were $15 ea. you can't beat that with any lipo anywhere. The supervee is brushless but the ESC is not lipo compatible, no LVC (Low Voltage Cut Off).

Kent,

I'm not sure if I told ya during our dealings on the SV27, but you can get batteries at HobbyPartz.com they do have high quality NIMH for realitively cheap. here's a link for GENS ACE 5000mah 8.4v's

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-5000-8-4v-nimh-flat-hump.html

Here's the specs on your ESC...

SPECS: Length: 3.15" (80mm)
Width: 1.5" (38mm)
Height: 0.3125" (17mm)
Weight: 3.8oz (109g)
Wire Gauge: 14 gauge
Max Output Power: 900 watts
Battery Connectors: Two Male Deans Ultra Plugs
Motor Connectors: Three 4mm gold-plated bullet connectors
Input Voltage: 12-14 NiMH, NiCd cells, 8-20V input w/o BEC
Output Current: 45A continous maximum, 60A surge maximum
On-resistance: 0.003 ohms
Thermal Cutoff: 230° F (110°C)
Operating Frequency: 8.5KHz
BEC: 5.2V/2A
Timing Angle: 10°

Since you already have the 7.4v's I'd just run what you have for now then when you are ready to upgrade I'd get an esc that is lipo compatible, In fact I just came across a 45 amp lipo compatible ESC that will work just fine with your setup, and get the lipo batts. The lipos you's want would be the 2S 30C SKY Lipos about $26 each you could get two batts and the lipo compatible ESC for $100 out the door. Then you just need a LIPO charger. and again Hobbypartz.com is a great place here's another link.........

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Basstronics
05-24-2012, 10:12 AM
And you can overcome the lacking LVC with common sense or a HK LV buzzer for a few dollars.

Who uses a LVC anyhow?

The performance gain of lipos is immense. Considering he probably got the cheapest nimh around. A good nimh is more than a cheap lipo. The cheap li ipo will stil be far superior.

Basstronics
05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
The esc is fully lipo capable otherwise.

mtbenjamin77
05-24-2012, 10:23 AM
well being new to lipos an LVC can save alot of batteries. I have a buddy who I built a 70mph brushless boat for, he was new to lipos and has blown up about $300 worth of lipos in his spartan boat. then he ran another boat he had with 7S, 3s 5000 & 4s 3000, destroyed the 4s in about 30 seconds of run time. So the boat I built for him I set the LVC to 3.7 and no more blown batts, as long as he doesn't mix match'em. Sometimes there's only so much you can do.

Kent,

Read this link. It'll help you get acquainted with the use of lipos.....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

And yes the lipos are far superior. they are lighter and produce much more power at a much faster rate.

mtbenjamin77
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
maybe try to work a deal on this setup. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?34363-proboat-Impulse-31-stock-Motor-and-Esc

The Speed control is capable of 5S and 60 amps. The SupervVee on 5S is quick. mine was clocked (radar) at 53mph with the same ESC and a similar 1800kv motor and a x645 prop. On 5S you would need to setup a paralell conector system for 2 - 5S 2650mah lipos

sanyijr
05-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Actualy it is being a little helpful. He says to "get the lipo's" well, that is good advice. I see no reason at all to run NIMH. Not for water proofing, not for savings, not for runtimes, no reason. Unless you have a phobia, or have no way to charge them. Lipo's are the way to go and all yu have to do is monitor them with a cheap LVA if you don't have LVC on your ESC.
Some will take issue with the waterproofing, but unless you plan on submerging your truck Lipo's will be fine. I've soaked hardcase lipos, (in my boat) opened them up, dried them out very well and no ill affects that I can detect.

- Sorry to disagree here. But Lipos DO have a downfall and if you are not familiar with them, it could be scary to deal with. If you don't have a compatible esc, charger and some other gear that comes in handy.... IF YOU DON"T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY NEW LIPO COMPATIBLE CHARGER, CONNECTORS, ESC OR ARE A MINOR, NEW TO RC, I would not recommend them.

I agree Lipos are far superior as far as performance, but you can't honestly say that if you had a 10 year old, new to rc with no compatible charger, you would recommend LIPO as a power system when he has a NIMH setup? I think that would be irresponsible.

If I seem a bit touchy on this... - Hey, If you are an adult, you can handle the consequences of screwing around and playing with lipos. We all know the danger or potential danger. And I believe most on this (lets say SOME at least) are prepared to handle even unexpected events that can happen from lipos and lipo crashes. BUT, with out knowing how old or what experience a person has with electronics or lipos and then tell them to drop everything and get lipos.... So hopefully now, instead of being patronizing, you have "some reasons" to think of in the future....

xlandguy
05-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't "screw around" with lipo's. What do you disagree with? I did say "unless you have no way to charge them".

Basstronics
05-24-2012, 09:30 PM
If I seem a bit touchy on this... - Hey, If you are an adult, you can handle the consequences of screwing around and playing with lipos. We all know the danger or potential danger. And I believe most on this (lets say SOME at least) are prepared to handle even unexpected events that can happen from lipos and lipo crashes. BUT, with out knowing how old or what experience a person has with electronics or lipos and then tell them to drop everything and get lipos.... So hopefully now, instead of being patronizing, you have "some reasons" to think of in the future....

Who here is 10 years old? Whats age got to do with any of this? Are you the age police?

This is a hobby with semi expensive items. Not toys from Wal Mart.

I know this guy is new to boats. Maybe he got scared away from lipos due to the ESC not having a simple feature built in most disable anyhow... Who knows.

Ive been down the Nimih path once upon a time. I bought the cheap $20 packs. I ran with some seasoned folks with quality hand picked nimihs and the difference in batteries alone was night and day. Thats just between cheap nimihs and good nimihs.

Now to compare a cheap nimih to a cheap lipo from Hobby King or Hobby partz. No comparison.

Charger? A new charger can be had for around $35 and it can still charge nimihs. Or he can get a "good" 400 watt charger for under $100 shipped. Its a BEAST and last him for a lonnnnnggggg time.

If anyone needs to think, its Kent. Im just trying to help the guy make a better decision. Simply because I know if he does buy these batteries he will wind up getting lipos still and when he gets his first lipo in that boat kick himself in the rear for wasting money on those nimihs.

Yes Im a psychic and know the future.

Kent55
05-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Thank you for all of the responses.
Here is the reasoning:
1. Just Bought boat.
2. Needed 2 batteries / wanted 4 : (to make the trip to the lake more worthwhile = more fun)
3. Considered the cost of 4 batteries
4. Considered the cost of making the boat Lipo safe (also I'm new to lipos & haven't seen the power difference)
5. Decided not to spend a ton of money on first boat right now.
6. I'm running Duratrax DTX 5000mAhs.
7. More potential for up grades later.
Sounds good to me.

mtbenjamin77
05-25-2012, 01:31 AM
Kent,

never mind the thread hijackers, you did the right thing for you. Now go have some fun. When you're ready to upgrade I'm sure you'll feel the excitement all over again. Just be sure to read the link I posted about the ins and outs of lipos or you can end up spending alot of money on the wrong things and destroying esc's batts motors and I've even seen boats catch on fire. you're right where you need to be. again go have fun and lemme know if you have any more questions.

travis

siberianhusky
05-25-2012, 08:17 AM
When you're ready to step up you'll really love the lipos.
I was a dedicated nitro burner until I saw a boat running a brushless motor and lipos, didn't take long for me to get my first FE.
Until then I just couldn't understand the interest in electric boats, no performance and piles and piles of batteries.
It's an expensive hobby so I understand working your way into it by using what you have available at first.
I wouldn't worry about the fear mongering with lipo batteries, they are in everything now, you probably have one in your pocket most of the day in your cell phone.
All you need is a bit of common sense, it's been a long time since I've seen any stories of lipos going up without some serious extenuating circumstances. It's not like some people would have you believe, you are not playing with a live grenade.

BHChieftain
05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
When you're ready to step up you'll really love the lipos.
I was a dedicated nitro burner until I saw a boat running a brushless motor and lipos, didn't take long for me to get my first FE.
Until then I just couldn't understand the interest in electric boats, no performance and piles and piles of batteries.
It's an expensive hobby so I understand working your way into it by using what you have available at first.
I wouldn't worry about the fear mongering with lipo batteries, they are in everything now, you probably have one in your pocket most of the day in your cell phone.
All you need is a bit of common sense, it's been a long time since I've seen any stories of lipos going up without some serious extenuating circumstances. It's not like some people would have you believe, you are not playing with a live grenade.

I think there are 3 big considerations to keep in mind when comparing lipo use in phones/computers vs. lipo use in RC.

The first is high rate charging. There are plenty of examples of lipo fires when packs are charged at 1C and higher. Yeah, it is not common but it can happen. The second is we are strapping these packs inside of boats flying around at 50mph, riding chop, crashing, whipsaw turns, etc-- this puts physical stress on the packs and damange can lead to internal shorts. Third, we are dealing with huge capacity and discharge rates, which generates a lot of heat, which also degrades the internal structure of the pack and can lead to internal shorts.

Personally, I will never charge my packs unattended... and I charge them in lipo bags in a fireplace, and keep them stored in a woodburning stove. Packs can be fine one day, then a problem the next.

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=194957

Here's a post from our own Sailr, with a brand new pack just sitting on a shelf burn up.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?24307-Near-Disaster-Turnigy-Batteries

Internal shorting sources
http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/energystorage/pdfs/45856.pdf
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20060013441_2006014411.pdf

Lipos are great for our hobby, but follow common sense safety procedures when charging and handling things that store a lot of energy, and don't get lulled into the trap of "I never had an issue the last 100 charges so I'll just go run to the store while my packs charge this time"

Chief