PDA

View Full Version : Hydromite handling problems?

Andris Golts
05-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi all built a 16'' Forrester hydromite last year and spent all off last seaon and the last 4 weeks this season trying different setups on keeping this micro hydro right side up the issue is both the port and starboard sponsons start lift like sponson walk then the hull flips on flat water .I gps the speed at 36 mph the hull is powered with a Feigo 380 S 10s 3947 kv motor with Thunder power 2s 2100 mah 25 c lipo tucked in the bow with 2oz of lead behind the battery to maintain proper c.o.g as this hydro was originally designed for a Graupner speed 480 motor with 8-1300 mah 1/2 sub c cells. I have checked turn fin alignment to make sure it's 100 % parralell with the sponsons i have tried 3 different length and width's of turn fins i have a adjustable turn fin bracket to try different cant angle's. The props used are x427 and x430 with flat bottom strut angled down 4 degrees i even put the hull back on the building jig to check for twists hull still 100% straight . Any ideas to what else may be causing problems to keep hull right side up? Regards Andris Golts.

4X4FABGUY
05-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Hi Andres, A friend of mine and I built a pair of them to race a couple years ago and one was very stable and the other had handling issues just like you mentioned. We had different set ups, 3000kv motor and 30 amp spd cons both mystery brand. batteries were 1350mah rhino 11.1 lipos. Another difference was I shrank the plans to 14 inches. The boats were very fast but one would not stay on the water. We tried all the same stuff you did, strut depths, lots of props, turn fins, major cg changes from one extreme to the other, and adding weight. It was very frustrating since one worked very well. Upon very close inspection we found the problem boat had an almost unnoticeable twist in the hull. It was a very small amout but made all the differerence. I bet thats it. When set up right the boats are very fun and quite stable for boats that fast and small. I enjoyed mine a great deal but I gave it to a good friend. Maybe its time to build another one. Heres a pic of mine next to my BBY micro scat cat. Good luck with your boat Andris.
Mike M http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/4x4fabguy/100_1425.jpg

Andris Golts
05-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Mike thanks for your reply problem solved a friend had similar issues with his nitro sport .40 took him 3 yrs of experimenting he told me to move the turn fin in closer to the inside of the sponson's running edge or hull center section made a big difference the hull rides flater and stays pinned in the turns i also inspected my hull for twists by putting back on the building jig and was a 100 % true. Regards Andris Golts.