PDA

View Full Version : Castle recall info 2--------please read!

Steven Vaccaro
05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
SA 2012-01

Inspection & Corrective Action Notice
May 15, 2012

ICE2 160HV ICE 200 Hydra ICE 240 Mamba XL Hydra ICE 200HV

It has come to our attention that some of these ESCs which shipped since the August 2011 recall on the ICE HV, Mamba XL and Hydra Ice may experience failures due to the control board becoming unseated from the power board. This includes controllers that were repaired or replaced in response to the recall. This only applies to the controllers listed above. It does not apply to all ICE2HV controllers.

The controllers listed above were built using two different plastic shell assemblies over the course of their production. Castle originally used two end caps that snapped around the heat sink halves and are held in place with adhesive labels. We switched to a newer plastic shell that was held together by four screws. The type of plastic shell used dictates the means of retaining the controllers' control board in its socket on the power board.
As we made every effort to repair and return the exact controllers that we received in response to our August 2011 recall, units shipped back to customers may use either plastic assembly. The 4 screw clamshell case may leave enough space between the control board and the metal heat sink for the control board to become unseated from the power board. Castle has an easy to install means of ensuring the control board stays seated in the units built with the clamshell design; installation of a small piece of silicone-rubber foam to maintain a slight compression of the boards.

All new controllers made and shipped during the period of August, 2011, to May 10, 2012, with the clamshell plastic should be assumed to need a foam keeper installed before any attempt is made to power or use the controller in any way.

Click here to view complete instructions of the inspection procedure may be found on our website. (http://www.mmsend3.com/link.cfm?r=277616815&sid=18953583&m=1972353&u=CASTLE&j=10274209&s=http://www.castlecreations.com/support/service_advisory/sa1201-foam.html)

Castle will provide users with the special foam at no charge. Please use the email form on the web page listed above to send us your mailing address and we will get the foam out to you immediately.
Our records indicate that there are still quite a few controllers covered by the August 2011 recall (http://www.mmsend3.com/link.cfm?r=277616815&sid=18953584&m=1972353&u=CASTLE&j=10274209&s=http://www.castlecreations.com/support/service_advisory/sa1103-icehv-mambaxl-hydraicehv.html) that have not been returned to us for updating. Our conversations with customers at events around the country all seem to indicate that many of you were waiting until our service wait time was reduced in order to receive your repaired controller in the shortest possible time. Please be advised that our return time on these units is now generally a matter of a few days.
Please do not use controllers covered by the August 2011 advisory that have not been updated to ICE2, Hydra ICE2, or Mamba XL2 status. Send them in to Castle using the procedure outlined on the advisory page (http://www.mmsend3.com/link.cfm?r=277616815&sid=18953585&m=1972353&u=CASTLE&j=10274209&s=http://www.castlecreations.com/support/service_advisory/sa1103-icehv-mambaxl-hydraicehv.html) so that we can update them.
We apologize for any inconvenience any of these issues may cause you, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

We look forward to regaining your trust in our products and our company.

Regards,

Team Castle SA 2012-01

Inspection & Corrective Action Notice
May 15, 2012

ICE2 160HV ICE 200 Hydra ICE 240 Mamba XL Hydra ICE 200HV

It has come to our attention that some of these ESCs which shipped since the August 2011 recall on the ICE HV, Mamba XL and Hydra Ice may experience failures due to the control board becoming unseated from the power board. This includes controllers that were repaired or replaced in response to the recall. This only applies to the controllers listed above. It does not apply to all ICE2HV controllers.

The controllers listed above were built using two different plastic shell assemblies over the course of their production. Castle originally used two end caps that snapped around the heat sink halves and are held in place with adhesive labels. We switched to a newer plastic shell that was held together by four screws. The type of plastic shell used dictates the means of retaining the controllers' control board in its socket on the power board.
As we made every effort to repair and return the exact controllers that we received in response to our August 2011 recall, units shipped back to customers may use either plastic assembly. The 4 screw clamshell case may leave enough space between the control board and the metal heat sink for the control board to become unseated from the power board. Castle has an easy to install means of ensuring the control board stays seated in the units built with the clamshell design; installation of a small piece of silicone-rubber foam to maintain a slight compression of the boards.

All new controllers made and shipped during the period of August, 2011, to May 10, 2012, with the clamshell plastic should be assumed to need a foam keeper installed before any attempt is made to power or use the controller in any way.

Click here to view complete instructions of the inspection procedure may be found on our website. (http://www.mmsend3.com/link.cfm?r=277616815&sid=18953583&m=1972353&u=CASTLE&j=10274209&s=http://www.castlecreations.com/support/service_advisory/sa1201-foam.html)

Castle will provide users with the special foam at no charge. Please use the email form on the web page listed above to send us your mailing address and we will get the foam out to you immediately.
Our records indicate that there are still quite a few controllers covered by the August 2011 recall (http://www.mmsend3.com/link.cfm?r=277616815&sid=18953584&m=1972353&u=CASTLE&j=10274209&s=http://www.castlecreations.com/support/service_advisory/sa1103-icehv-mambaxl-hydraicehv.html) that have not been returned to us for updating. Our conversations with customers at events around the country all seem to indicate that many of you were waiting until our service wait time was reduced in order to receive your repaired controller in the shortest possible time. Please be advised that our return time on these units is now generally a matter of a few days.
Please do not use controllers covered by the August 2011 advisory that have not been updated to ICE2, Hydra ICE2, or Mamba XL2 status. Send them in to Castle using the procedure outlined on the advisory page (http://www.mmsend3.com/link.cfm?r=277616815&sid=18953585&m=1972353&u=CASTLE&j=10274209&s=http://www.castlecreations.com/support/service_advisory/sa1103-icehv-mambaxl-hydraicehv.html) so that we can update them.
We apologize for any inconvenience any of these issues may cause you, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

We look forward to regaining your trust in our products and our company.

Regards,

Team Castle

drwayne
05-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I appreciate their willingness to provide support following manufacturing deficiencies .
" and here's how to fix it "
Personally, Id not buy them again.

Steven Vaccaro
05-16-2012, 07:02 AM
This wasnt meant to be a bashing thread. Some companies would just let it go and let the customer eat it. I think its pretty stand up that they get the issue out in the public and dont try to hide the issue.

siberianhusky
05-16-2012, 08:17 AM
I think this is great of Castle as well.
How many accept that the t180 lvc doesn't work right a high % of the time? Have they done anything about that yet? Nope! Yet people still buy them knowing there is a good chance it won't work as advertised right out of the packaging.
I fully realize that it doesn't effect people who know how to deal with it, BUT why haven't they fixed the issue yet?
Way to stand behind your products Castle!

Fluid
05-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Castle has historically been open about product problems once they are identified. Far better than to ignore problems or have a patent denial response. If acknowledging problems is not important to a buyer, if attempts to improve a product are not important to a buyer, if supplying a solution to consumers is not important to a buyer, if buying four Swordfish to get one which continues to work is not important to a buyer, then they should not buy Castle products.

I guess I'm special. The only Castle controllers I've had problems with - 2 - had been abused in SAW events. The other eight or nine have been problem-free, going back to the Barracuda 120S. Of course I keep them dry, don't run them if they do get damp, always supply ample battery capacity and rating, Don't run them outside their amp capacity, never run them at max rated voltage, try to keep wiring as short as practical, and don't run them for extended periods of time (over 4 minutes). I have only used extra caps once - and that ESC burned up in a SAW run. In short, I follow the manufacturer's recommendations along with basic comon sense. No electronic instrument is problem proof - cell phones, computers, etc. For such low volume products with a tiny comsumer base we are lucky that Castle even bothers with marine controllers. If some of you have your way Castle Hydra controllers will eventually cease to exist - then we truly will be at the mercy of the Chinese ESCs without a practical quality alternative. That would be far worse than Hydras which have occasional problems. IMO anyway.

Darin Jordan
05-16-2012, 02:01 PM
I guess I'm special.

Jay... you ARE Special... but you aren't the only one who hasn't had ANY issues with Castle... I've burned up ONE, and that was because I was trying to run a B80 with a UL-1 motor in a P-Ltd Hydro...

Castle's are fantastic controllers, and are even better with a little prep work.

For me, this is a non-issue, because I don't use all that outter wrapping anyhow, and always go in and prep the controller board prior to use.

Cudos for Castle to stand up and take the reigns...

puttekula
05-16-2012, 02:08 PM
100% true. Anybody seen such statement from a Chinese manufacturer? And is there anybody out there thats got proper support
for such products? I shop from China, as the most of the people here. But I do it with "if it break I trash it" in mind. Thats the way
Chinese companys do in general.
The only thing they are afraid of is Lawyers and Provincial Government Authority people. And to get such thing to roll is very expensive.
So be proud of American Companies that take care of customers.

puttekula
05-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Have I ever said Turnigys or such are crap? Plz reread and calm down! Im talking about support. But if u ever might run into a problem with ur imported
Chinese Turnigy or such, ur welcome back here and give us a report! U see, been there done that...!
And yes, I perfectly well do know where Castles products come from. But with a responsibility as they stand for their products from their own factory. Try that with other Chinese
Cheese (a joke, but most often true) branded stuff!!

Serpents811
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Well glad that a least they are in united state and you could the stuff back in prompt time not like ETTI , I have a etti esc that failed FET WENT on it now I have to eat it

puttekula
05-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Yep, thats the way it is. And Im living in Sweden, figure it out how I have it with guaranties... But if I send it to Castle, I anyway will get it back....
Serpent 811, so ur a car racer? Me myself just bought me a 811Be, equipped with Tekin stuff.....:glare:

Brushless55
05-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Have I ever said Turnigys or such are crap? Plz reread and calm down! Im talking about support. But if u ever might run into a problem with ur imported
Chinese Turnigy or such, ur welcome back here and give us a report! U see, been there done that...! (many including myself have no issues with Turnigy products! no need for suport for some of us B55)
And yes, I perfectly well do know where Castles products come from. But with a responsibility as they stand for their products from their own factory. Try that with other Chinese
Cheese (a joke, but most often true) branded stuff!!

Oh boy....
Castle is dumping lots into marketing right now to bring back buyers who have gone elswhere
they are needing to keep the customers they have now and get new ones :thumbup1:
I do like that we usually can get the replacement from them (Castle) being they are only 6hrs from me, rather than having to go over seas
but soon we may see Trunigy and the rest much closer if not in the US for warranty claims like we are seeing.. :tiphat:
glad for the Castle update!

Serpents811
05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Yep, thats the way it is. And Im living in Sweden, figure it out how I have it with guaranties... But if I send it to Castle, I anyway will get it back....
Serpent 811, so ur a car racer? Me myself just bought me a 811Be, equipped with Tekin stuff.....:glare:
Yes I do , I'm sponsored by serpent and viper , I do have a 811eb loaded with viper esc and motor and is a sweet ride

puttekula
05-16-2012, 04:28 PM
HobbyKing is delivering from from US. And as I understand it, there is an storage point in US. Just a link
for delivery from HK to US. And higher price to include sh. and taxes. But how is it with support?

Whoever who is going to take the responsibility for the imported products must charge for the extra cost
involved with shipment, taxes and warranties. Do u guys really think there will be such a great difference in
cost for those products then?

puttekula
05-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes I do , I'm sponsored by serpent and viper , I do have a 811eb loaded with viper esc and motor and is a sweet ride

Cool , Ive been into car racing since 1986. ANd still amazed about how much the development have progressed during the years. And since 2009 addicted to
brushless only. Planes, helicopters, cars and now boats...
Do u know "porkchop"?

detox
05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
I like the real time data logging of my Hydra ICE 240.

LarrysDrifter
05-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I hate rc boats.

mappo
05-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I hate rc boats.

I am beginning to dislike this forum. too much bashing and not enough of constructive ideas and information for Fe Boaters..

Serpents811
05-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Cool , Ive been into car racing since 1986. ANd still amazed about how much the development have progressed during the years. And since 2009 addicted to
brushless only. Planes, helicopters, cars and now boats...
Do u know "porkchop"?
i sure know charles aka porkchop