PDA

View Full Version : miss geico running 53mph

joker rc
05-14-2012, 06:49 AM
miss geico 29" cat 53mph . ride pads still untouched .love it just nice on 5s

mcbJqYNQ17s

martin
05-14-2012, 09:04 AM
You dont say what model Leopard it was, is it the 3674 - 2200kv or something else. Blue printing the pads should have further improvments as well, some of the Geico hulls ive seen did have hollows in the pads. Thanks

joker rc
05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
sorry its 4074 ,and yes the rid pads are pretty bad on this hull .i think i paint the hole boat then i will fix them ,

dana
05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
If I may chime in, you got a nice boat there, but on 5s you should be much faster. That's, 40000 rpm, ALOT! In comparison, my mean machine running 4074 2200kv hit 50 on 4s2p with m445. I think to start, you should try a new prop. Also try raising the prop up more. Just my two cents. Looks cool tho

martin
05-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Yes with the 4074 motor you should see around 60+ mph, are you still using the stock inline rudder as i notice theirs wah wah sound when the boats running which really does affect the speeds & you can also see this affect as well. The offset rudder mod on the Geico works really well.

Darin Jordan
05-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Guys... Just so you know... you don't have to repaint the whole boat just to blue-print the ride-pads... I've done it on about 5 of these boats now, with two more in the wings, and just repainted the ride-pad portion. I'll have to shoot some pics of my newest Geico work, but here is the first one I did... Took about 2-evenings worth of tinkering...

martin
05-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Your also carrying a lot of weight in those batteries with 9000mah in a Geico which will affect speeds. But of course you get the benifits of much longer run times.

ron1950
05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
darin how much difference does the blue print job actually do? if i do mine what should i look for when finished....it runs pretty good still and doesent seem to have any bad habbits....kinda hard to find the balance point every spring (seems to move around each year lol)

Darin Jordan
05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
darin how much difference does the blue print job actually do? if i do mine what should i look for when finished....it runs pretty good still and doesent seem to have any bad habbits....kinda hard to find the balance point every spring (seems to move around each year lol)

You know, Ron... I've never actually done any testing before/after kind of thing.

Here is what I know (This is fundamental to all boats):

1) "Hooks", which are concavities in the ride surface, cause suction, and therefore slow the boat down, cause it to run "wet", may cause it to handle erratically.

2) Rounded edges cause drag, as the water does not separate cleanly from the surface, instead following the curve around, causing drag. (Meniscus effect??).

Miss G/Mystic specific:

3) The ride surface as a whole was designed to be a plane, that is flat for a specific distance, and then arcs upwards toward the sponson tips. For some reason (pulled from the molds too soon, or ???), the ride surfaces seem to arc a bit, mostly on the left sponson. The surfaces should sit flat on a table and not rock for balanced handling.

I've done several of these now, and they are each a little different. Some require very little work, some a lot more, and all are dependent on how anal retentive you want to be about it. I'm pretty picky.

Does it make a huge difference?? Probably not for the average person. Does it make a difference when pushing things to the ragged edge and trying to compete without the benefit of being able to just upgrade motors to go faster... Most certainly.

masonis1
05-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Whats it mean to ride wet?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

joker rc
05-14-2012, 04:57 PM
i am guessing the speed is low 50s . i didnt gps it might be faster i dont know . lets see proof GPS proof might get close to 60mph with a 45mm prop but no way will this thing do 60mph on 4s with a 42mm prop your kidding your selfs

yes its got off set rudder , yes it has massive hooks in the ride pads yes it rocks on a glass table , yes the hull needs fixing

i be testing more props 42x55 x443 x642 < were i am at ,,,, x645 m545 x445 .

Darin Jordan
05-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Whats it mean to ride wet?

Sponsons glued down to the water....

masonis1
05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Thank you.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

martin
05-14-2012, 05:10 PM
60 mph is 5s with 4074 motor not on 4s.

dana
05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Out of curiosity, how long are run times? Does it get really hot? How old is this setup ie; how many runs on this setup? Thanks

joker rc
05-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Out of curiosity, how long are run times? Does it get really hot? How old is this setup ie; how many runs on this setup? Thanks

run times on 5s 9000mah 10 -12 min at most ,yes got hot after that video ,didnt temp it but it felt hot , both motor and esc , not cooking hot just hot ,,,its a few months old had 12 sets of 2s run through it ,this is the second or third time i have run on 5s fist time was 42x55 grim racer prop ,you could tell just by listing to it the prop was to small motor was screaming . this video is first time out with x642 and instantly i noticed it was faster and pushed through the war"war" to level out as it reaches top speed ,
not looking for more speed its fast enough for me,, but i have three 45mm props to try ,after i add better cooling , seems to only trickle the water out at speed ,faster it goes less water flows ,strange .thinking i might add duel water pick up in the ride pad ,when i level them out , its the next step , and full custom repaint i have a second stock miss geico as well i built up from a hull and all the bits i replaced on this , so i like to change the color on this one , inside the hull is reinforced with carbon/kevlar cloth and custom carbon fiber motor mounts on 40mm motor mount ,custom servo mount ,reinforced hatch and all the hull seams have been reinforced in carbon/kevlar . only 1 layer ,carbon fiber battery trays mounted lower in the Sponsons allows them big 5s lipos to squeeze in nice and low , has kintec floating bush and stainless duel grub screw motor cup link drive. stock flex and liner , not one drop of water enters this boat remains dry after every run , build thread in miss geico
under (miss geico is a winner }

joker rc
05-15-2012, 01:32 AM
quot : The ride surface as a whole was designed to be a plane, that is flat for a specific distance, and then arcs upwards toward the sponson tips. For some reason (pulled from the molds too soon, or ???), the ride surfaces seem to arc a bit, mostly on the left sponson. The surfaces should sit flat on a table and not rock for balanced handling.

I can see the arc in the left center rid pad just looking at it with out a straight edge , as i said in video description she is not going to run smoother then that mid throttle till the hull is fix ..

thanks for your input Darin,

ON A SIDE note ! check this fella youtube channel for raw FE boat footage in Australia titles held few weeks back ,12cell hydros flying .,be heading down to this lake this sunday ,http://youtu.be/ocjYGdqDn7Q