PDA

View Full Version : SV strut bushing

Mich. Maniac
05-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I grease and or oil my prop shafts and flex cable after every run or day of running but am noticing a good amount of slop in the strut. Has anyone noticed the bushing going bad or is this something you should change once in a while? I would say holding boat and prop nut it moves about almost 1/16". Should I change bushing?

ice329
05-03-2008, 08:43 PM
You need to change them every once in a while. I had ordered some better ones from OSE, the first bunch were excellent, however the last few I got did not fit right. There better and the price is better, however not sure why the last batch didnt fit right. G/L

There on this page http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=76

Mich. Maniac
05-03-2008, 09:28 PM
this one is for the sv strut. Do you think it would be safer to go this route rather than the one you show link for? You would think they would be the same. thanks for the help!

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-aqub7884

ice329
05-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Ask Steve which is the right one from the link I posted. There nicer as long as you get the right ones. Like I posted I got one bunch excellent one bunch seemed to big. I am not sure which ones are right but it is one of them. Ask Steve first.

JimClark
05-03-2008, 10:09 PM
could you swap it out for a bearing from boca bearings?

Mich. Maniac
05-03-2008, 11:25 PM
could you swap it out for a bearing from boca bearings?

Not sure but if so that would be the way to go. I have some with teflon bushings and they seem better but, honestly not near as smooth as the stinger struts Steven sells. I was thinking of up-grading to one of those but then Im into new holes and such as well.

SweetAccord
05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Bearings, in comparison to a bushing, will cause more resistance spin drag in water anyways, unless they care completely sealed/waterproof then and only then do they have an advantage.

JimClark
05-05-2008, 02:00 PM
they are installed inside either the stuffing tube or the strut hows that going to add drag

SweetAccord
05-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Water still may enter the strut, not that it would be submerged, just that water may reach the bearing and decay it, hence why I mentioned "unless they are completely sealed/waterproof". As for the bearing to be in the stuffing, well that would be interesting setup to see how that would be setup on a SV27. Any pics please? I'm intrigued.

JimClark
05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
never seen any problem in any hydro I have ever run and I would sure prefer less friction in my system to worrying about a little bit if water

Mich. Maniac
05-05-2008, 09:35 PM
all great points guys but keep in mind I was strictly speaking of the sv strut brass bushing. I doubt I will upgrade the sv to a bearing strut but I was just wondering how quickly even with greasing after every run do they wear out. The bearing setup has always been the way I thought they should be setup. I would just like to see a good hardened stainless bearing. Of course it would not be a cheap setup if that were the case.

SweetAccord
05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Correct Mich. Manic since this is a SV forum? That is the only boat I have and reference here anyways.

My initial frame of thought was from an article that I read somewhere in RC Boat Magazine where it was stated that a bearing would not spin as freely compared to a bushing if submerged, can rust and or cause drag if not taken care of (hence again why I mentioned sealed/waterproof)?

I'm not sure what type of drive system was being referenced or such in the article?

Even so, like I mentioned, I would like to see a bearing setup with the SV hardware and what all the labor would be and what are all the part numbers to pull that off, it would be interesting. I wonder if anyone has done that.

SweetAccord
05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Ok, Mr. Jim Clark, here is my bearing answer to clarify to you why I said what I said. I made my statement about the bearing according what I read and what was stated from the Hot Tips and Techniques from the Experts of Radio Control Boat, How To's magazine from the publishers Radio Control Boat Modeler.

There is an article by John Gill named "Fast Electrics on a Budget" page 23. Gill was stating some tips in general. Quote "Next check your bearing. Does everything turn freely? I've found that Oilite bushing work very well under water. Although ball bearings are best above water, they seem to "load up" under water, i.e. it takes more power to turn them."

That is where my statement is from. Now, what kind of drive system was being referred to is not stated, so I was referring what was stated already in general. I guess if you really would like to know exactly what he was stating and how it's being utilized, I'm sure you can contact him if he's still around?

Peace~

Mich. Maniac
05-18-2008, 08:18 PM
UM anyways once I install a new bushing in strut how much slop should there be? I havent paid it much attention on other sv's ive had. so what Im asking is hold the boat in one hand and prop shaft nut in other and move it up and down. Should there be any at all? thanks

bonewar
05-18-2008, 09:11 PM
hi mike my advise to you is that there should be very little play in the sharft,replace the brass brushing as soon as you notice movement,i have 5 sv27 an all of them have had trouble with the brushings,so ive change 3 of them for the mtc stinger($127)i no this is a little expensive for the strut but trust me you will have no more trouble. i think the original brushess are only design for low speeds , all of my sv's run lipos , so all of the boats are well over there designed speed, hence the problem. the above stingers come from mhzusa rc boats, go have a look you wont be disappointed.:rockon2:

Mich. Maniac
05-18-2008, 11:04 PM
awesome, that EXACTLY wanted I wanted to hear. I have just ordered a bushing from Steven here and actually scored a Stinger strut from swap shop new at a little discount so I will try the new bushing for this season and upgrade struts this winter. with the new stinger and hydra and running lipos I can only think of one more upgrade beyond the feigao motor..... Perhaps a black can is in my future!

bonewar
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
:rockon2: you won't be dissapointed in a black can (lower temps, smoother accelartion,better bearings ,oval all better motor)

Mich. Maniac
05-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Just an update, I received my new strut bushing "aquacraft" and its crap. Came with huge burrs inside and out, not a huge deal but, it is prolly worse than the one I had. Its not the prop shaft cause I tried 2 other brand new prop shafts and they are perhaps worse than the sv drive. Thats just silly, Im not looking for a tight fit but this is wobbling prolly more than 1/16". I will wait to get the speedmaster strut and will have to plug 2 holes and drill one. Last I remember of the speedmaster struts they fit nice with just enough clearance for some grease.

ice329
05-24-2008, 10:19 PM
If you want you can make it work nice. Order a new brass tube 1/4, order the teflon liner for .150, order the right speedmaster strut bushing. replace it all and make it all alliened with a gental bend. It will be smooth. total cost of about 10 bucks Also make sure the prop is balanced

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-ks-brass-tb
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=70
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-spds-014-bsf

hex-dj
05-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Which bearings are good for replacing the strut bushing on my SV 27 BL? Anyone knows or perhaps steven please let me know if you carry them in the store...?