PDA

View Full Version : Traxxas Spartan: Traxxas Support is the worst....

rwillden
05-11-2012, 01:59 PM
I have been involved in RC for over 10 years, and currently own about 15 different RC vehicles. The Spartan and Blast were our first boats however. The Blast was purchased for my youngest son, and I bought the Spartan for my older son and I to tinker with and run together. It is/was unfortunately, one of the first edition Spartan's with the VXL Marine ESC and 1800kV Motor that everyone had problems with. We've had a bunch of issues with this boat since buying it new, including broken flex shafts, melted carriage for the motor, and a handful of other issues, but we've tried to keep it running the best we could. A few weeks ago however, we were out running it, and noticed that it was acting sporadically. We brought it in, and the motor and speed control were super hot. The ESC case had melted, and we knew there was a problem. I called Traxxas the next day and they suggested I send it in, and mentioned that they thought it would probably be replaced with the newer version. So, I sent it in. That was nearly 4 weeks ago. I called after a week and asked what was taking so long. They said "Well, we are definitely going to replace it, but we don't have any in stock, so you'll have to wait for us to get adequate supply to send it out. That was May 1st. I called again today and asked for an ETA for a replacement setup. The guy I spoke with was a total jerk, and said "what do you expect us to do about it?" I said that I expect that when I spend $420 on an RC Boat that if there is a problem, that the manufacturer will do what is right to solve the issue. I don't feel like I should have to wait weeks on end for parts. He said there was nothing he could do, and that it was Castle's fault for not having the parts. He also said that they never should have suggested that I send the speed control and motor to Traxxas, and that it should have gone directly to Castle for repair/replacement. So, after getting in a bit of an argument about what customer service should be, etc, he said he would send an email to Castle and "tell them to hurry up..."

So, I figured I would call Castle and ask them if they were really the hold up. Turns out, they are the reason for the hold-up, but not for the reasons Traxxas gave me. He said that they have over 75 motor and speed control combo's that are defective from the Spartan that they just received from Traxxas on April 30th, and that Traxxas' agreement with Castle required that Castle had enough stock to satisfy the entire number of replacements sent in before they could send those replacements back to Traxxas. They said of the 75+ sent in, 57 would be warrantied. So in other words, even though they have the stock to send out some, they don't have enough to fill the entire order to send out replacements, and that it may be two to three weeks more before I might see my motor and speed control... If that's the case, that will be over 6 weeks that I will have had to wait for a replacement motor and speed control for this P.O.S.... The guy from Castle did say that if I had sent in my motor and speed control directly to Castle, that I would have had replacements by now...

I will never buy another Traxxas product as long as I live. This is not what I expect from a $420 RC Boat...

Brushless55
05-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Ryan, first off..
Welcome to OSE! :tiphat:

second, sorry for the issue you are going through.. if it helps you are not the only one we have seen with issues just like you mentioned
in my opinion, I would ask for a 100% refund and spend your cash on something else?
like maybe a Aquacraft MC.. I have one on the way :rockon2:

properchopper
05-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Ryan, Welcome and hang in there ! Truly sorry for your troubles. While in NO WAY are they justified, they are not an uncommon experience when getting started in r/c boating, particularly when initially choosing an entry-level product. What hurts me most from your experience is your effort to develop a rewarding father and son activity which backfired. If you persevere, you'll find a cornacopia of good advice here on OSE and maybe those of us who've been in the same situation you have can be of service in the future and suggest ways of avoiding the pitfalls and minefields that've lured many of us in the past. Stay with it, and know that we're here for you.

Tony
SoCal Fast Electrics

rwillden
05-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks Guys! I gravitate towards forums when I get started with a hobby, but wonder how much time and money I'd save if I spent time on those forums BEFORE I get started in said hobbies... Haha! I really like the Spartan from a performance stand point, but if we can't keep it in the water instead of the workbench, it's kind of a moot point. I'm hoping I can get it back from them sooner rather than later, and may just sell it and buy another craft. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the welcome, and I'll keep this updated if/when they finally send it back.

Thanks