PDA

View Full Version : Got new boat today, need advice

xlandguy
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Ordered new MC from Kintec. Turns out its the "out of spec" model. He says return it to Aquacraft. I'ts unusable now, and after I "modified" it trying to get Kintecs parts to fit, well, I'm probably totaly screwed now.
Update: Kintec is trying to help me get this sorted out. I went off the deep end, no pun intended.

siberianhusky
05-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Not sure what you mean or what you did because the hardware and electronics haven't changed at all between the first and second release. I don't actually think there are any changes what so ever actually.
What parts did you try and change?

Darin Jordan
05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Pictures would help. I doubt VERY seriously that this is something that can't be made to work VERY well. These boats aren't generally known to have many issues.

xlandguy
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I'll get some of the hatch defects. Here is some to hopefully explain what I mean. New to this now, so be easy one me, lol.
First of all this part which says it "fits perfect with not modification needed"
Didnt fit in the tube at all, and the stock one didnt fit the "upgrade cable" I bought from Kintec. I got the stock one to fit with the upgrade cable , I think. I also sharpened my rudder as per the manual. So I don't know if Aquacraft will take back my boat.
The hatch has some cross supports and they are comeing unnatached. I did not drop or anything. Also the hatch finish seems not too good at all. This I can live with. But now according to Kintec, I have a boat that parts "will never fit right on".
part of the email I got from Kintec, I cant see why he would mind, nothing bad here:

"Looks like you have a collectors item. There are a few boats of the Motley and UL-1 that have left the factory out of spec and yours is one. This is a brand new problem and Aquacraft did not know anything about it till I reported some feed back that I was starting to get. (Hmmm, then why continue to sell the lemons just wondering.)
We have to (sic) options and neither is going to make you happy.
As you you know I dont make the boat so any manafacturing issue with the boat needs to be pointed out to Aquacraft. The boat you have does not have the standard brass tube, bushing or flex cable. This means you will never be able to get any parts to fit, not Aquacraft stock replacements or any after maket parts."

raptor347
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM
There should be a phone number for Hobby Services in the manual. Give them a call before you panic. Grab a caliper and take some measurements so you have some info for them. They are usually pretty descent to work with.

xlandguy
05-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Thank you, unfortuneately I already reamed out the tube and sanded the "insert?" so that it would fit properly, I hope. It seems to be working smoothly. I will take some more pictures of how it is now.

xlandguy
05-08-2012, 11:53 PM
75970 75971 75972

floatn turd
05-09-2012, 01:45 AM
I would not even worry about the "parts" your going to end up replacing all that crap anyway. For bigger more HD hardware, when you start to upgrade. I had the same problem with that bushing from kintec, So don't even worry about that or the Teflon liner. If you get a bigger motor, your going to replace the whole drive shaft system anyway. Now the "messed up" hull is another story. MC's all have a "less then perfect 'fit and finish' when it comes to the hull. Post up some pics of what you think is bad. But my guess is that it is the same *!***!***!***!**ty blemishes we all have on out MC's.

But the main thing is: If you are a "customizer" on want more speed,then everything stock in that boat will go. If you like to keep all your crap bone stock then maybe you will have a problem if nothing works, out of the box.

Let me give you some ADVICE. Don't buy any more crap until you come up with a plan ( more lipo cells= different motor= diff. ESC= diff. drive system= different rudder and prop along with more cooling lines for your bigger set-up) If you do one, you will usually do it all.
and talk to people on here, or you WILL waste a lot of money buying the wrong *!***!***!***!**.

So don't get all worked up yet. I ran mine "stock" for 5mins then ripped everything out of it and now run 8s, but I also bought a lot of the wrong crap along the way. So thats why I say do your home work b4 you buy anything..

In the words of liam neeson: "Good-Luck"

xlandguy
05-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Thank you. Good advice I think.

floatn turd
05-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Run it "stock" on 4s. If that is good enough for you, then only replace stuff as it breaks. But if you run it and want more speed then start asking some questions, come up with a parts list and tell your wallet to get ready for a rape'n.

Steven Vaccaro
05-09-2012, 07:02 AM
xlandguy (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/member.php?9428-xlandguy)

xland take floating turds advise, run the boat with the stock parts. Your problems dont look all that bad. Maybe put the boat down for a few days and come back to it after your not as upset.

The upgraded parts are only slightly better than the stock anyways. The talk to Jan about replacing the modified stuff for new stuff. I'm sure he will help you out.

xlandguy
05-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks again for the help and advice. Kintec is being as helpful as they are able.

dana
05-09-2012, 08:05 AM
You need to get over the whole kintec thing. These boats don't come vacu sealed or anything, jan is a good guy, and did not send you a boat that doesn't work.
Your problems are tiny compared to what some have gone thru.
The first traxxas Spartans were advertised 6s boats, but the motors couldn't handle it. They blew them up but the boatloads.
The first proboat miss geicos had the wrong rotation flex cables and snapped immediately. Other members were making them by the handful and shipping them out. We're here to help, but your impatient attitude is turning people off. Relax man...
As for your upgraded bushing, it's a speedmaster cut down. I too have this one, in my ul1. Same problem, I had to sand it lightly to get it to fit. No big deal dood. Works mint

xlandguy
05-09-2012, 08:44 AM
xlandguy (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/member.php?9428-xlandguy)

xland take floating turds advise, run the boat with the stock parts. Your problems dont look all that bad. Maybe put the boat down for a few days and come back to it after your not as upset.

The upgraded parts are only slightly better than the stock anyways. The talk to Jan about replacing the modified stuff for new stuff. I'm sure he will help you out.

Ok, will try to test it out today. Can you please edit the title of my thread? to "Got new boat today, need advice". Thank you.

longballlumber
05-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Where are you located in Michigan... If you're close enough, I should be able to help you out.

Later,
Mike Ball

Diegoboy
05-09-2012, 12:53 PM
title changed :biggrin:

xlandguy
05-09-2012, 01:42 PM
So, first run. I was totaly thrilled with how it ran, awesome. Could be the most fun I've had standing up in a long while. Until,...............:doh: the radio started glitching badly, almost lost the boat :scared: The motor jacket leaked badly and the hatch compartment filled with water, I mean filled. Didnt know it untill I carried the boat back to my truck to see what was wrong. So, after an almost immediate response to an email, Grim himself is trying to help me through this. I think it will be ok. He sent me instructions and tips to redo the motor jacket, or rather re-install it. I figure this is punishment for losing my temper, lol.

xlandguy
05-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Where are you located in Michigan... If you're close enough, I should be able to help you out.

Later,
Mike Ball
Hey thanks, that is very generous of you. I am in the Lansing area, Holt actually. You?

siberianhusky
05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Just a tip, run for about a minute or less bring it in and check for leaks or anything loose, all good - then let it rip. I always make my first run of the day a brief test just incase something isn't right.
This is a great boat but I'll tell you from experience, bigger motors and higher speeds WILL equal a damaged hull, it's just not built to be bouncing across the water upside down at 60 mph. It will go that fast but a wind gust or wave and it's not pretty.
With a bit of tuning and the right prop it will really move with the stock setup, thats what mine is back to now.

longballlumber
05-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Hey thanks, that is very generous of you. I am in the Lansing area, Holt actually. You?

I am in the Metro Detroit area... Here is our club www.mmeu.com website is still from last year, but it should give you an idea...

You can also use a mouth full of water and blow it thur the cooling system while plugging up the exit. This will provide enough pressure to expose the leak.

Later,
Mike

Rumdog
05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Keithbradley here on OSE is in the Lansing area. Pm him. He may be able to run with you and help you tinker a bit.

xlandguy
05-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Thank you, I did manage to find and fix the leak. The o-ring was not seated and got a bit warped. Hot water and it got back in shape enough to install. No leaks now on the jacket. Boy, that was a pain though.

dana
05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
glad to hear you enjoyed your boat! its a good one…. we shoulda told you to check for leaks, but ya know. nice to see a better thread going here…
you've already resolved two quick issues yourself, now just make sure to let everything dry out well. open the rx case and leave it out over night.

xlandguy
05-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Run it "stock" on 4s. If that is good enough for you, then only replace stuff as it breaks. But if you run it and want more speed then start asking some questions, come up with a parts list and tell your wallet to get ready for a rape'n.
Another rape'n??? My poor wallet is already recovering from a multiple rape'n, I won't go into details, LOL

"A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."

If only I had heeded this yesterday! oh boy.

So I ran last night again, awesome. Very smooth and already I have confidence running this boat. I have a great place to run untill it gets hot, then I'm afraid the swimming beach on the other side would worry me too much. In case of run away. Lake/pond is only maybe 150 yards across but quite long.