PDA

View Full Version : Throttle trim/Swordfish ESC

clarkm
05-08-2012, 06:18 AM
I have a Swordfish 120 esc that requires you to hold TX throttle trigger full-on then turn on TX then turn on RX, after a number of beeps release the trigger and I should have full throttle. (I hate this I never think I have full throttle). My question is about throttle trim...were should it be when I turn on RX.....how do you really use throttle trim in general?

siberianhusky
05-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Just checked, Spektrum radio, SF 120 esc - throttle trim at 0 or neutral.
Only my original SV27 esc requires weird trim settings, all my others including a UL-1 are all at 0. The sv arms backwards without the odd settings.

clarkm
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Just checked, Spektrum radio, SF 120 esc - throttle trim at 0 or neutral.
Only my original SV27 esc requires weird trim settings, all my others including a UL-1 are all at 0. The sv arms backwards without the odd settings.

Thanks for reply! Throttle trim 0 or neutral, does that mean arrow straight up or all the way left?

Bone
05-17-2012, 03:39 AM
As a total newbie to electric boating (but not radio control aeromodelling) I need to ask some seemingly basic questions to the settings required on my Spektrum DX2S radio & the Swordfish 200 Amp ESC.

My DX2S radio has the trigger throttle with the forward part of the throttle trigger arc being the "brake" section (I'm assuming only used by the Tx for cars / trucks etc).

I tried last evening to calibrate my Swordfish ESC with the DX2S & was able to stop the boat motor turning when the trigger was pushed fully forward but upon release to the spring loaded position, the motor leaps into life running at a fair tilt. The Spektrum manual appears to be written predominately for car users who would find the brake function handy, nothing written there about its use or otherwise in boating. So my questions are:

1/. is the "brake" facility on the Tx used for boating?

2/. If not, how do I turn that feature off?

3/. Is it done via adjusting the Travel & Trim settings on the Tx (ie: electronically turned off by the software) ? If so, what are the values I need to input into the Tx ?

Sadly last evening, I blew up my Swordfish 200 Amp ESC during bench testing - made a crackling sizzling sound & emitted the traditional blue smoke. Perhaps the "brake" settings somehow caused grief inside the ESC, causing $110 worth of damage (price of a replacement) - I simply dont know. The BEC function would still power the receiver but that'a all the ESC now does. I tried another ESC (an aircraft one) & the motor works fine, so I have confirmed the Swordfish is now dead for practical purposes.

Need to get this issue sorted before my replacement Swordfish ESC arrives - dont want to fry it as well :doh:

As I say, am a total newbie with electric boats & a trigger style Tx - all responses will be most appreciated - thanks.

siberianhusky
05-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Sorry missed the second question, I use a computer radio so no trim knobs, just set a 0.
Bone-
The brake is turned on or off by programming the esc not the radio either using the card, usb linker or by TX programming (which I've never done).
I set the cell count as well, I don't rely on the auto-detect.