PDA

View Full Version : SAW Genesis

izcain
05-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Ok guys I know this has been done many times before but I thought I would document it and try to get opinions from everyone as I go along with the build.

Here is the new Genesis I picked up for a SAW build (thanks Matt)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m283/izcain/IMG_0735.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m283/izcain/IMG_0736.jpg

Now for starters he had already reinforced the hull and filled the sponsen tips with resin which turned out pretty nice. I am going to get the ESC and battery trays mounted in and move onto picking a motor. (removing the old trays and putting something in there I can strap the batteries onto.

I am thinking about maybe a 1527 Neu motor of undetermined kv. Which motor would you guys recommend for an all out speed setup on lots of voltage. This is going to be SAW only but am wanting to try to go as fast as possible on a single motor.

I saw on here quite a while ago that someone ran a 1500 kv 4082 and managed to crack the 100 mark on like 9s or so. I was wondering if the Neu motor would be a better avenue or if the Leopard would get the job done.

I would like to get everyones input as I start putting this thing together and I will be posting GPS readings once everything is going.

Prop-a-Gator
05-06-2012, 07:50 AM
:popcorn2::popcorn2:
I'll be following for sure. I just hope there's less drama than the thread you're referring to... :lol: Actually, any thread mentioning a SAW build and 100mph is a recipe for controversy. :hornets_nest: There have been quite a few. I'll be rootin for you!:rockon2:

srislash
05-06-2012, 08:13 AM
:popcorn2::popcorn2:
I'll be following for sure. I just hope there's less drama than the thread you're referring to... :lol: Actually, any thread mentioning a SAW build and 100mph is a recipe for controversy. :hornets_nest: There have been quite a few. I'll be rootin for you!:rockon2:Perhaps one should state at the beginning that he is willing to lose a motor or ESC,or for that matter,the whole boat. Some sort of disclaimer,you know:w00t:
I'm going to be trying 7s on my Shocker at some point with 1800kv's in it.

searay skipper
05-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Can I ask a dumb question?

What does SAW stand for?????????? :confused2:

SirBudman32
05-06-2012, 08:23 AM
straight a way

searay skipper
05-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Prop-a-Gator
05-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Perhaps one should state at the beginning that he is willing to lose a motor or ESC,or for that matter,the whole boat. Some sort of disclaimer,you know:w00t:
I'm going to be trying 7s on my Shocker at some point with 1800kv's in it.

slash, check out my new signature :biggrin:

IZCain, I'm not qualified to give you advise. Here's a thread you may have found with some nice input from a few gurus:
What would it take to build a 100MPH Cat (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?21492-What-would-it-take-to-build-a-100MPH-Cat)

And another:
Project Genesis II - the 10s SAW Build (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?26099-Project-Genesis-II-the-10s-SAW-Build)

You get the picture. Good luck.

srislash
05-06-2012, 10:15 AM
That is hilarious Prop-a-Gator:roflol: And that is the TRUTH

izcain
05-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I love the diaclaimer prop-a-gator!

I have no expectations only hopes! lol

I do not want in any way shape or form the controversy that came from the earlier threads about speed. I am open to everyones suggestions and everyone has good ideas worth paying attention to. Thanks for the links I will be sure to review them.

I ordered the servo last night 645 high torque. I am just deciding if I should do the strap in zip tie method or if I should remove that mount and put something more substantial in there like my Fightercat Boat.

izcain
05-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on which motor and esc I should be looking at

I am thinking about getting a Swordfish HV 240 maybe a fightercat esc hv esc instead?

Looking at running a straight .187 flex also. Placing an order this week for many items to get the build well underway.

martno1fan
05-07-2012, 02:58 AM
How about this esc some seem to think its a swordfish in another wrapper but dont quote me on that :smile:,decent price though.
Mart
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=12442

izcain
05-07-2012, 03:16 AM
After researching I am looking also at the Fightercat 300A 16S esc. Not sure on the price yet though since I see nothing up on the website yet.

Espresso
05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
The website is down due to a move so you can't buy anything at the moment. The 16S/300A I believe is a $300 ESC. Size wise it's a bit longer than a Swordfish 240. You might have to really think about layout and how you're going to balance the boat with 9S. I think I've read in SAW competitions, you get 2 passes and your speed is an average of the two so I'm not sure if they run 1P or 2P.

Resin can be hard as a rock but it's also brittle. If you really want to reinforce your hull, you might consider adding some carbon fiber or carbon kevlar with a thin layer of resin. I'm sure the boat builders on this forum can give you better advice on how to prepare your boat to survive a blow over >50mph.