PDA

View Full Version : Venom/Atomik New 58 Inch Electric Catamaran

silvermansteve
05-02-2012, 08:00 PM
that's all, venom, now atomik, just released an electrified version of what looks like its 58 inch gas boat. you can see it in bigsquid rc.

Rumdog
05-02-2012, 08:05 PM
lol at Venom...
Chaep 120 amp esc and a little outrunner

Brushless55
05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
it's got an 1100kv outrunner?
hull this size should use 10s I would think...

Hope someone from Venom does not come over here and try to sell this to everyone like its the greatest...

ozzie-crawl
05-02-2012, 08:40 PM
lol at Venom...
Chaep 120 amp esc and a little outrunner

Motor is listed at $144 and looks like a hobbyking $30 outrunner.
Not a bad idea large rtr cat but i am sure when they start selling if there not way over priced, they will probably sell a fair amount as there is not much (if any) thing else electric in that size.
Just get ready on OSE for a flood of "help blew up my 58' venom boat today" lol

And does anyone want to place bets who will be the first OSE member to build one as a twin :banana:

JIM MARCUM
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
:lol:Working on my twin as we speak. JIM

ozzie-crawl
05-02-2012, 09:18 PM
LOL i put 100 bucks on Jim being the first.

dana
05-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Maybe the gfreak guys bought venom and changed the name?

ozzie-crawl
05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Maybe the gfreak guys bought venom and changed the name?

They may have done but i dont see any 100mph stage 3 water cooling line or 250mph lipo water cooling plates :roflol:

dana
05-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Lmao! True that

ozzie-crawl
05-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Have to get me self some of these :buttrock:

Rumdog
05-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I've got a few of those decals.
I don't get why anyone would buy any Venom boat, or boat products.

ozzie-crawl
05-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Venom in Australia is awsome. They sell team durango and parts same price as Amain in the states.
Normaly here we pay close to close to double for a car and 3-5 times the price for parts.
But as for there own branded gear i would not touch. Onc3 bitten twice shy as they say.

Brushless55
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Motor is listed at $144 and looks like a hobbyking $30 outrunner.
Not a bad idea large rtr cat but i am sure when they start selling if there not way over priced, they will probably sell a fair amount as there is not much (if any) thing else electric in that size.
Just get ready on OSE for a flood of "help blew up my 58' venom boat today" lol

where did you find the parts lists?

ozzie-crawl
05-03-2012, 12:34 AM
where did you find the parts lists?

I found the motor listed this morning from venom. but now for the life of me i cant find it. the bigsquid links wont work and all i can get is venom Aus

tlandauer
05-03-2012, 12:39 AM
www.atomik-rc.com

ozzie-crawl
05-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Yep thats the motor http://www.atomik-rc.com/Store_3/Outrunner/V700-Marine-Outrunner-1100Kv.html

Thanks

iamandrew
05-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Heyyy Venom will sell heaps of these boats for all the guys who dont know what they are doing and want to get everything at once.
I still feel sorry for anyone who buys it, because any replacement parts will be "out of stock" or even "coming soon" as soon as you break it hahahahaha
id be interested to see how well it turns because the gas one rolls a lot

lomdel
05-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Which motor and ESC upgrade would you guys consider for this cat on 8S or even 10S?

iamandrew
05-04-2012, 06:07 PM
well the hull is pretty light for a boat that size because its made out of epoxied tissue paper and crap wood rails

JIM MARCUM
05-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Because we like to go fast in a straight line & never turn, RUMMY. JIM:moon:

JIM MARCUM
05-04-2012, 08:00 PM
FYI: Atomik A.R.C 58" RTR Electric Boat

"This 58” RTR Electric boat is the first large-scale factory electric that out performs it’s gas counterparts. Not to mention, no smelly gas or tedious engine tuning.

The Atomik design team pulled out all the stops with a whopping 2000 watts of brushless electric power out of the stock 1100Kv outrunner mounted in a water-cooled CNC aluminum motor mount. All that power is controlled with a robust 120A water-cooled ESC for a 40+ mph out of the box top speed.

The hand-laid fiberglass hull features full color Atomik racing color scheme protected by a durable gel coat, pre-installed laser cut radio box and battery tray system, which will accompany a single 6S (22.2V) LiPO battery, but is also expandable for up to a 12S configuration. The A.R.C also comes standard with CNC Aluminum running hardware and the fully adjustable Flexdrive system for precise trim tuning."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. NO WAY this is VENOM. My converted Venom gasser is tough as a mule. Turns almost as well too. JIM:spy:

Brushless55
05-04-2012, 09:14 PM
funny how they talk of 2000watts on 6s
that's 90amps and on 5000mah that they recommend..?? :confused1:

tlandauer
05-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Guys, I stumbled upon this site: www.sdshobby.net there are some large scale monos and cats, don't think they are the same, but the package is questionable. Check them out. Since I am a newbie, I don't want to give any uneducated opinion.

forescott
05-05-2012, 10:10 AM
well the hull is pretty light for a boat that size because its made out of epoxied tissue paper and crap wood rails

Lmao! Does seem pretty light for a hull that size. Gotta be thin.

forescott
05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Which motor and ESC upgrade would you guys consider for this cat on 8S or even 10S?

I was thinkin leopard 5692 around 1000kv on 8s with a 240a speedy.

forescott
05-08-2012, 05:00 PM
For those who might wanna see...........

kODAhPK3AnA&feature

lenny
05-08-2012, 06:34 PM

The T600 1400kv on 6s with the right prop would get it going 50s I think,
Or better off with a 5692 730kv 8s or 10s with lots of power and big prop high speeds or smaller prop and lots of run time.

Brushless55
05-08-2012, 06:42 PM
The T600 1400kv with the right prop would get it going 50s I think,
Or better off with a 5692 730kv 8s or 10s with lots of power and big prop high speeds or smaller prop and lots of run time.

On 8s that motor will see 41k!
I think they have a new T700 motor from HK that cold be the one in this boat??
I still want to find the motor Atomik is using in this cat but the original version that we can get from HK for 50 or 60 bucks :biggrin:

lenny
05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
:tiphat:
T600 1400kv on 6s.

Brushless55
05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
:tiphat:
T600 1400kv on 6s.

lot of rpms for a small motor cold smoke it...
I think it's better off with the stocker on 6s :smile:
heck maybe 8s on the stocker could work just fine.. :rockon2:

forescott
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Id swap out that t-120 to a 180 at minimum. Keep the prop small. Stock is 50mm I read in the manual. And keep a close eye on the heat. Might even be worth it to open up the hatch a little to get some air circulating in there, and seal up the speed control in the radio box. Or coat it real good with corrosion X.

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Notice you haven't curbed anyone's enthusiasm for our boats?
Folks buy Venom and will continue to. If you stepped back and looked at the threads you're doing this on, its not making you, or FE look good to newbies
Give it a rest man..

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2012, 09:30 AM
FYI: Atomik A.R.C 58" RTR Electric Boat

"This 58” RTR Electric boat is the first large-scale factory electric that out performs it’s gas counterparts. Not to mention, no smelly gas or tedious engine tuning.

The Atomik design team pulled out all the stops with a whopping 2000 watts of brushless electric power out of the stock 1100Kv outrunner mounted in a water-cooled CNC aluminum motor mount. All that power is controlled with a robust 120A water-cooled ESC for a 40+ mph out of the box top speed.

The hand-laid fiberglass hull features full color Atomik racing color scheme protected by a durable gel coat, pre-installed laser cut radio box and battery tray system, which will accompany a single 6S (22.2V) LiPO battery, but is also expandable for up to a 12S configuration. The A.R.C also comes standard with CNC Aluminum running hardware and the fully adjustable Flexdrive system for precise trim tuning."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. NO WAY this is VENOM. My converted Venom gasser is tough as a mule. Turns almost as well too. JIM:spy:

Jim, you're a positive boater. I see you. I like your positive attitude. The eyes are on you for sponsorship recommendation NO PROMISES but I like the way you roll..

Make-a-Wake
05-10-2012, 09:33 AM

:iagree:

This quote below does crack me up a bit:

"The Atomik design team pulled out all the stops with a whopping 2000 watts of brushless electric power out of the stock 1100Kv outrunner mounted in a water-cooled CNC aluminum motor mount. All that power is controlled with a robust 120A water-cooled ESC for a 40+ mph out of the box top speed."

It is a good lookin' hull...............with some TLC, fiber inlay reiforcement, and a 5692 it would be a nice boat........probably a 55 mph jobby.

This boat is most likely targeted for those that want big but dont need huge speed(the well-to-do white collar guy gettin' out on the weekend), we on this Forum tend to always go for the big speed...........racing.................SAW........ etc.

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2012, 09:38 AM

This quote below does crack me up a bit:

"The Atomik design team pulled out all the stops with a whopping 2000 watts of brushless electric power out of the stock 1100Kv outrunner mounted in a water-cooled CNC aluminum motor mount. All that power is controlled with a robust 120A water-cooled ESC for a 40+ mph out of the box top speed."

It is a good lookin' hull...............with some TLC, fiber inlay reiforcement, and a 5692 it would be a nice boat........probably a 55 mph jobby.

This boat is most likely targeted for those that want big but dont need huge speed(the well-to-do white collar guy gettin' out on the weekend), we on this Forum tend to always go for the big speed...........racing.................SAW........ etc.

The boat could definitely use some more HP for the experienced boater, but as you said its targeted after the weekend warrior.
I've never bough an rc model and expected to run the stock stuff in it for too long personally. When I get involved with the power systems it will be a different story and its in the works..
As the most travelled FE racer in the country, I have rarely seen ANY production RTR boats used in SAW OR Racing unless its a designated club class for that particular boat. SAWS almost never.

Your constructive opinion without bashing is appreciated thank you.
Affective way of providing feed back.

Rumdog
05-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Dont send me crybaby PM's asking me to stop posting if you want to TRY to antagonize me.
Did you taddle yet?

On topic...
What gets me is that Venom chooses the use THE cheapest possible components to make the boat move. I cant wait to see how much M.S.R.P is on this thing.
Buying it to upgrade is ridiculous. The cost involved would be double than if you were to buy a quality hull and build yourself. Every bit of gear in and on this boat would have to go to hold up to the necessary power to move it well.
What is Atomik's warranty policy for FE boats?

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Dont send me crybaby PM's asking me to stop posting if you want to TRY to antagonize me.
Did you taddle yet?

On topic...
What gets me is that Venom chooses the use THE cheapest possible components to make the boat move. I cant wait to see how much M.S.R.P is on this thing.
Buying it to upgrade is ridiculous. The cost involved would be double than if you were to buy a quality hull and build yourself. Every bit of gear in and on this boat would have to go to hold up to the necessary power to move it well.

Dear Rumdog?

Indeed in all humillity I asked you to stop following my every post with nagativity in a PM as any self respecting person would do.
I realize you need to make a name for yourself "typing to hear the keys click", but not off my winning name. I have no more response to your bitterness.

I do feel sorry for anyone with such pent up anger. I hope things get better for ya'.
No I didn't "tattle" on you, you're doing an EXCELLENT job yourself of projecting an image : )

I love my image. Its the one you see in my avitar.

Brushless55
05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Did you taddle yet?

On topic...

Rumdog, its sad others choose to act like a child when trying to sell this venom boat, when your only posting comments..

Dear Rumdog?

Indeed I asked you to stop following my every post with nagativity in a PM as any self respecting person would do.
I realize you need to make a name for yourself "typing to hear the keys click", but not off my winning name. I have no more response to your bitterness.

I do feel sorry for anyone with such pent up anger. I hope things get better for ya'.
No I didn't "tattle" on you, you're doing an EXCELLENT job yourself of projecting an image : )

Wow dude, get over yourself!
this is like traxxas/venom forums here...
slap anyone who has a comment that's not 100% pro traxxas/venom!
get a grip, as you once again drift from the OP to trash a member.. :thumbdown:

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Rumdog, its sad others choose to act like a child when trying to sell this venom boat, when your only posting comments..

Wow dude, get over yourself!
this is like traxxas/venom forums here...
slap anyone who has a comment that's not 100% pro traxxas/venom!
get a grip, as you once again drift from the OP to trash a member.. :thumbdown:

Actually no, Make a wake criticized tasteful and constructively and I commended him.
Not trashing any members, no need to sir.

Rumdog
05-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Ooooookaaay.
I guess I'm not allowed to share my opinion. Only the guy from venom. Soo... Got any real info, or just a pic. Care to answer my warranty question? Seems be such a self proclaimed hot shot and working to rep venom you should be involved in the r&d behind this boat, no? So tell me... Why the cheapest smallest possible electronics?

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Ooooookaaay.
I guess I'm not allowed to share my opinion. Only the guy from venom. Soo... Got any real info, or just a pic. Care to answer my warranty question? Seems be such a self proclaimed hot shot and working to rep venom you should be involved in the r&d behind this boat, no? So tell me... Why the cheapest smallest possible electronics?

Boat has been in the works since before I was involved with that end.
What warranty questions do you have?

Brushless55
05-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Notice you haven't curbed anyone's enthusiasm for our boats?
Folks buy Venom and will continue to. If you stepped back and looked at the threads you're doing this on, its not making you, or FE look good to newbies
Give it a rest man..

many have stopped buying venom because of there rudeness and some of there crap products that they relable and sell at 100%+ markup

Dear Rumdog?
Indeed I asked you to stop following my every post with nagativity in a PM as any self respecting person would do.

Actually no, Make a wake criticized tasteful and constructively and I commended him.
Not trashing any members, no need to sir.

Carl? ( he is a smart guy and does great builds )
wow, you side step the obvious, and pat yourself on the back at the same time??
just like venom did in the past... and the reason for the name change...
you have lost out on many occasions to build value in this product, and choose to take things personal and talk smack about members of OSE for making there God given right to post a comment, good or bad...
you came into this thread with a first post commenting about what another member said, and not building value in the actuall product itself... :blink:

now sell this boat or stop telling others what they can and cannot say about it! :cool2:
everyone has a right to comment :thumbup1:

Brushless55
05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Ooooookaaay.

I think Ben at Fighter Cat sells the same motor and esc for much less than what these guys sell for..???
infact, I might buy one of the motors he sells (540kv version) and try that sucker on 15-16s in my Rio51z :banana:

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2012, 02:40 PM
many have stopped buying venom because of there rudeness and some of there crap products that they relable and sell at 100%+ markup

Carl? ( he is a smart guy and does great builds )
wow, you side step the obvious, and pat yourself on the back at the same time??
just like venom did in the past... and the reason for the name change...
you have lost out on many occasions to build value in this product, and choose to take things personal and talk smack about members of OSE for making there God given right to post a comment, good or bad...
you came into this thread with a first post commenting about what another member said, and not building value in the actuall product itself... :blink:

now sell this boat or stop telling others what they can and cannot say about it! :cool2:
everyone has a right to comment :thumbup1:

I appreciate your opinion, but refuse to directly respond to the things you are saying.
Again, I don't want to tarnish my winning reputation or years of hard work on this forum weather baited or not.

Fortunately there is a majority who appreciates my contribution.
Any constructive inquiries will be gladly answered by me.

iamandrew
05-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Venon make crappy products, they are usually out of stock of critical replacement parts, and they are built to a price, in which will usually be Too cheap

having said that, what they have done, is actually got a lot of people into the hobby.
People buy their boats, realize that boating is fun, and it gives them somthing to consider when they build their next boat.
I know a lot of people who originally bought a venom boat for their first boat, and now are doing the "build your own"

Rumdog
05-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Somebody has an ego...
Congratulations on the radio controlled photo shoot playa...lol

What does the warranty say about a smoked esc? Smoked motor? Failed driveline?
What type connector is on the esc?

BILL OXIDEAN
05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Venon make crappy products, they are usually out of stock of critical replacement parts, and they are built to a price, in which will usually be Too cheap

having said that, what they have done, is actually got a lot of people into the hobby.
People buy their boats, realize that boating is fun, and it gives them somthing to consider when they build their next boat.
I know a lot of people who originally bought a venom boat for their first boat, and now are doing the "build your own"

I race at a national level and have zero problem attaining podium finishes with Venom products.
In my experience, its been "intermediate" boaters who complain over minor/petty things in Venom boats.
Experienced boaters know not to expect SAWS durability in a production boat and glass in, or beef up what needs be..

Rumdog
05-10-2012, 06:02 PM
So... what Venom boats are you racing? Venom supplied motors, esc's, hardware, hulls?
We all know you race.
Us intermediate boaters are dying to know..

Brushless55
05-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I appreciate your opinion, but refuse to directly respond to the things you are saying. :blink:
Again, I don't want to tarnish my winning reputation or years of hard work on this forum weather baited or not. you Bill are the one running your mouth about a members comments, and not building value of this venom boat

Fortunately there is a majority who appreciates my contribution. ( only shows massive arrogance ) :ThumbsDown01:
Any constructive inquiries will be gladly answered by me.

WOW!
what a load of crap..
your head is so full :censored: that you cant even admit to your bull $hit! :frusty:
you have once again turned me far away from venom!
all on a thread you did not start, but had to butt in :thumbdown:

Brushless55
05-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I race at a national level and have zero problem attaining podium finishes with Venom products.
In my experience, its been "intermediate" boaters who complain over minor/petty things in Venom boats.
Experienced boaters know not to expect SAWS durability in a production boat and glass in, or beef up what needs be..

Uhhh what? :blink:

So... what Venom boats are you racing? Venom supplied motors, esc's, hardware, hulls?
We all know you race.
Us intermediate boaters are dying to know..

Make-a-Wake
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Whoa!! Bunch of posts since i left...............:confused2:

Anyways, I just try to post as honestly and factually as I see things, thats all really..............

As an example, looking at the ESC, I would be VERY surprised if it wasnt a T120a..................if thats the case, then it is a bit pricey................I still think the boat looks good and could use some more power, but i looks like it could be ran fairly hard in stock form if not overpropped as the big outrunner looks pretty beefy and should have alot of grunt at 1100kv...............

I'm not recommending it nor am I not recommending it..................just callin' it as I see it...............cuz I like boats:Peace_Sign:

ozzie-crawl
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
They should have dropped one of those motors in each sponson. Added cost for a manufacturer for a extra motor/esc/strut/prop would be 30-40 bucks but make it a much better boat imo.

Brushless55
05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Whoa!! Bunch of posts since i left...............:confused2:

Anyways, I just try to post as honestly and factually as I see things, thats all really..............

As an example, looking at the ESC, I would be VERY surprised if it wasnt a T120a..................if thats the case, then it is a bit pricey................I still think the boat looks good and could use some more power, but i looks like it could be ran fairly hard in stock form if not overpropped as the big outrunner looks pretty beefy and should have alot of grunt at 1100kv...............

I'm not recommending it nor am I not recommending it..................just callin' it as I see it...............cuz I like boats:Peace_Sign:

I think this is the same motor but with a little different wind?
http://fightercatracing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=125&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
this one on 8s could be a better runner
http://fightercatracing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=124&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
and this one could kick some tush on 16s ( my 4s race packs in series )
http://fightercatracing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=300&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
and I think Bens price is only about 60bucks :rockon2:

They should have dropped one of those motors in each sponson. Added cost for a manufacturer for a extra motor/esc/strut/prop would be 30-40 bucks but make it a much better boat imo.

twins would be fun, and I agree on the added cost for them would be minimal..

ozzie-crawl
05-10-2012, 09:49 PM
If venom wants to send me one i will test it for them :-)

Doby
05-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Just watched the video........it seems to ride well on the rear pads and no waaa waaa seen on some cats. Actually cornered decently on the calm water....

Its pretty,,,, if it does around 35mph or so, looks like it could be a fun boat for someone wanting to get into "big" FE....as long as the reliability is there....time will tell. If Venom wants to send one to Canada, I'll put it through its paces and report back!!!

Darin Jordan
05-10-2012, 10:25 PM
I think some of you need to relax, and maybe back off of Bill... These are RTR boats... none of them are perfect, and many of you have NO IDEA just how much give and take goes into actually getting one of these to market. You don't want to know, trust me!

Take these boats for what they are, evaluate what you want, and go on from there. Bashing the messenger isn't going to get us anywhere. We need MORE boaters and MORE people racing together, not polarization.

Rumdog
05-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Nobody was doggin Bill till he felt the need to PM me and tell me that I have no right to post my opinion on Venom boats, and that if I kept being such a big jerk that he'd taddle on me. He's gonna push the product, so he can at least answer questions, right?

Instead...... it's ego time.:cool2:

mappo
05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Dear Rumdog?

Indeed in all humillity I asked you to stop following my every post with nagativity in a PM as any self respecting person would do.

Ok Girls! could we all grow up and keep our silly egos in check?.
i always thought this forum was about FE and not about personal attacks. if you all will like to take it any further i can provide the Gloves and venue to continue.
What a shame. i have learn very little from this posting..

Brushless55
05-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Nobody was doggin Bill till he felt the need to PM me and tell me that I have no right to post my opinion on Venom boats, and that if I kept being such a big jerk that he'd taddle on me. He's gonna push the product, so he can at least answer questions, right?

Instead...... it's ego time. :cool2:

ego gets these guys everytime :blink:
not sure if anyone has seen who actually started this thread, cuz it sure was not the so called venom messenger... :glare:

BILL OXIDEAN
05-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Just watched the video........it seems to ride well on the rear pads and no waaa waaa seen on some cats. Actually cornered decently on the calm water....

Its pretty,,,, if it does around 35mph or so, looks like it could be a fun boat for someone wanting to get into "big" FE....as long as the reliability is there....time will tell. If Venom wants to send one to Canada, I'll put it through its paces and report back!!!

Tastefully put. Great overlook from someone who appreciates boats.

BILL OXIDEAN
05-11-2012, 08:27 AM
I think some of you need to relax, and maybe back off of Bill... These are RTR boats... none of them are perfect, and many of you have NO IDEA just how much give and take goes into actually getting one of these to market. You don't want to know, trust me!

Take these boats for what they are, evaluate what you want, and go on from there. Bashing the messenger isn't going to get us anywhere. We need MORE boaters and MORE people racing together, not polarization.

Well put Darin. Look forward to beers and champagne with you guys at the nationals awards banquet.

Brushless55
05-11-2012, 08:44 AM

thanks for your opinion.. :thumbup1:
I hope this one is a little different in the build and quality side of things (specially the gell coat) and I hope the motor lives up to the task of this big hull..
I would like to drive one and see just how well or not it performs outside a video.. :tiphat:

ps. my Gas KOS had tons of cracks all over in the gell coat.. :confused1:

BILL OXIDEAN
05-11-2012, 08:58 AM
thanks for your opinion.. :thumbup1:
I hope this one is a little different in the build and quality side of things (specially the gell coat) and I hope the motor lives up to the task of this big hull..
I would like to drive one and see just how well or not it performs outside a video.. :tiphat:

ps. my Gas KOS had tons of cracks all over in the gell coat.. :confused1:

You guys won Brushless 55 you've turned the world away from Venom :sarcasm1: :laugh:
By the way, you're only in Colorado. Are you attending the FE nats? You appear to have deep passion for our sport.

I can show you there how our products work :rockon2:

Rumdog
05-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks for adding more useful info, Bill.
B-55 Is posting his experience with the same hull as the boat this thread is about. I've seen a few of these with paint issues after running also. I'd stiffen the hell out of the hull with CF if you plan going any faster than stock.

Venom has been doing a fine job of turning people away from their boats all by theirselves. I mean.... Atomik

Brushless55
05-11-2012, 10:21 AM
You guys won Brushless 55 you've turned the world away from Venom :sarcasm1: :laugh:
By the way, you're only in Colorado. Are you attending the FE nats? You appear to have deep passion for our sport.

I can show you there how our products work :rockon2:

I may go, but I'de rather be a high altitude tester for this 58" :spy:
( I know people with cash, and lots of it )

Thanks for adding more useful info, Bill.
B-55 Is posting his experience with the same hull as the boat this thread is about. I've seen a few of these with paint issues after running also. I'd stiffen the hell out of the hull with CF if you plan going any faster than stock.

Venom has been doing a fine job of turning people away from their boats all by theirselves. I mean.... Atomik

yes, the Gas KOS had massive gell coat cracks in it.. I sold it to a guy who has a boat repair shop up in Wyoming, who said he was going to redo the gell coat and paint it the way he wanted it to look.. (made some money in the deal)
sweet looking hull from 10ft+ away, but 5ft and closer.. ouch
I hope this one has better gell coat on it, and matched paint from hull to hatch

love to have a free one to put a 540kv in it and try 16s to see what could happen!
I could sell a ton, if it turned out good.. :tiphat:
I brought a UL-1 to Lake Tracy a few years ago to a test and tune at NAMBA20, and since then, they have hosted the Nats and now have several FE classes.. :sneaky2:

forescott
05-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Maybe the brushless version of this cat will not stress crack so much due to the absence of a tooth rattling gas motor.

forescott
05-17-2012, 12:06 AM
New vidio from atomik rc.....

PFnXSeIkv2U

BILL OXIDEAN
05-17-2012, 12:11 AM
New vidio from atomik rc.....

PFnXSeIkv2U

Dosen't look freakin' bad! LoL!
I should have one at the nats..

Darin Jordan
05-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Doesn't look too bad to me. Would be interesting to see one in person.

Darin Jordan
05-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Dosen't look freakin' bad! LoL!
I should have one at the nats..

Bill... remember too... that's a legal "Hydro" as well as Offshore... ;)

BILL OXIDEAN
05-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Bill... remember too... that's a legal "Hydro" as well as Offshore... ;)

Now here's a guy not "taunting" but "tempting" me:banana:
You know me, if I have the boat, I'll go 'head and run it. Hey, thanx for the class recommendation lol!
From the Vid it looks like with some Oxidean magic it'd dang near hang in there as a hydro..

ozzie-crawl
05-17-2012, 03:21 AM
That looked half reasonable. least they did not do one of those videos were the person is trying to do figure 8s and trying to do sharp left hand turns in a small pond and you never see the hull up on plane :lol:

Paul Susbauer
05-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Hey Guys,
Paul from Venom/Atomik here. Since we're three pages into the pissing contest, I won't acknowledge any of it, but will give you the facts.

This boat has been in the works for well over three years testing a bunch of different configurations.

This is meant to be a first big RC electric boat for the average weekend warrior hobbyist. The goal is to make it run on a cheapo 25C 6S 5000mah Lipo, at a speed comparable to our stock Gas boat. We know that higher voltage is always a good thing, but the average consumer has a programmable charger that goes up to 6S only. (Example, the Venom Pro-Charger, the various HK chargers, etc)

The goal was to get the most out of these components while not stressing them. At most its pulling about 100amps continuous, through the 120 amp esc. The motor itself typically comes off the water at 130 F or less after heat soak. Motor not stressed, ESC not stressed, and even the cheap 25C packs aren't stressed.

We have put a high quality CNC Aluminum prop on there, and have listened to the high end boating community and configured the whole battery tray and motor mount system to be able to upgrade to much greater power, should you choose to do so.

There was a comment someone said that there is very little porpoising or chine walking in the smooth water. We run this in heavier surf conditions too. Example, the other day we were out running with the wind blowing about 25mph, which was putting white caps on the local lake. Still handled it like a charm.

This is an RTR product. Keep that in perspective.

Paul Susbauer
Product Manager
Atomik-RC

Brushless55
05-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey Guys,
Paul from Venom/Atomik here. Since we're three pages into the pissing contest, I won't acknowledge any of it, but will give you the facts.

This boat has been in the works for well over three years testing a bunch of different configurations.

This is meant to be a first big RC electric boat for the average weekend warrior hobbyist. The goal is to make it run on a cheapo 25C 6S 5000mah Lipo, at a speed comparable to our stock Gas boat. We know that higher voltage is always a good thing, but the average consumer has a programmable charger that goes up to 6S only. (Example, the Venom Pro-Charger, the various HK chargers, etc)

The goal was to get the most out of these components while not stressing them. At most its pulling about 100amps continuous, through the 120 amp esc. The motor itself typically comes off the water at 130 F or less after heat soak. Motor not stressed, ESC not stressed, and even the cheap 25C packs aren't stressed.

We have put a high quality CNC Aluminum prop on there, and have listened to the high end boating community and configured the whole battery tray and motor mount system to be able to upgrade to much greater power, should you choose to do so.

There was a comment someone said that there is very little porpoising or chine walking in the smooth water. We run this in heavier surf conditions too. Example, the other day we were out running with the wind blowing about 25mph, which was putting white caps on the local lake. Still handled it like a charm.

This is an RTR product. Keep that in perspective.

Paul Susbauer
Product Manager
Atomik-RC

Paul, great to know!
I have 6 6s packs for my TRex-600 that could be used for this rtr
I assume you are talking of running two 6s 5000mah packs in parallel for 10,000mah?
thanks

Paul Susbauer
05-18-2012, 10:18 AM
BL55,
Nope, just a single 25C 6S 5000 is what we run, and we're also running 50C 6S packs. There are dual battery trays built into each sponson that you could easily parallel a couple packs up for long run time too. Those trays were put in there for that exact reason, or for upgrading to higher power setups.

To note, in heavy wind conditions, with how light it is with just a single 6S pack, she will pick up easily, so be careful heading into the wind. Dual 6S packs, moved forward slightly greatly helped that.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the boat comes standard with EC5 connectors which is what we have been using in all our testing over the last couple years with great success.

Paul Susbauer
Atomik-RC

Make-a-Wake
05-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Looks great in the vid..........................That hull is screaming for a 5692 1090kv on 8s2p!!! :buttrock:

Darin Jordan
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Now here's a guy not "taunting" but "tempting" me:banana:
You know me, if I have the boat, I'll go 'head and run it. Hey, thanx for the class recommendation lol!
From the Vid it looks like with some Oxidean magic it'd dang near hang in there as a hydro..

Billy... you KNOW you have to do it! Come on... you KNOW you WANT TOOOOO!! ;) I might even volunteer to be your spotter!!

Brushless55
05-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Hey Guys,

Paul Susbauer
Product Manager
Atomik-RC

Paul, great to know!
I have 6 6s packs for my TRex-600 that could be used for this rtr
I assume you are talking of running two 6s 5000mah packs in parallel for 10,000mah?
thanks

BL55,
Nope, just a single 25C 6S 5000 is what we run, and we're also running 50C 6S packs. There are dual battery trays built into each sponson that you could easily parallel a couple packs up for long run time too. Those trays were put in there for that exact reason, or for upgrading to higher power setups.

Paul Susbauer
Atomik-RC

the site claims 2000watts, and that pretty cool!
2000watts / 6s = about 90amps
most said to pull is 100amps continuous = about 2200watts, sweet!
runtimes @ 90amp cont. = 2.67min
@ 100amp cont. = 2.4min

no one on these forums I now of runs 25c 5000mah packs pulling 90-100amps cont :confused1:
that would = some hot lipos and under powered and or stressed electronics :huh:

someone on this forum or another talked about long or good runtimes with this cat... :sad:
just sharing my thoughts :tiphat:

mappo
05-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Hi Paul, are you affiliated with G freak? just wondering! spoke to one of your reps 2 weeks ago and was asking about your P1 56 inch hull, and was given a price for empty hull for $900. was wondering if these hulls come from MHZ in Germany?

Brushless55
05-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi Paul, are you affiliated with G freak? just wondering! spoke to one of your reps 2 weeks ago and was asking about your P1 56 inch hull, and was given a price for empty hull for $900. was wondering if these hulls come from MHZ in Germany?

No, they do not..

snapp32e
05-22-2012, 03:39 AM
Well guys, as a current Segad Brushless C1 owner all I can say is your $1000 dollars if far better off spent on a different boat if the same level of quality and care that is put into the Segad is also put into the Atomik. I'm one very unsatisfied Venom owner. Thank God I wet and bought a Spartan a week after the Segad, at least I get to have some fun on the water with that. Although, the Segad does look very nice sitting on the shelf. Excellent display model I have to say.

Paul Susbauer
05-22-2012, 02:35 PM

No we are not affiliated with them.

Brushless55
05-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Well guys, as a current Segad Brushless C1 owner all I can say is your $1000 dollars if far better off spent on a different boat if the same level of quality and care that is put into the Segad is also put into the Atomik. I'm one very unsatisfied Venom owner. Thank God I wet and bought a Spartan a week after the Segad, at least I get to have some fun on the water with that. Although, the Segad does look very nice sitting on the shelf. Excellent display model I have to say.

sorry to hear that bro!

Chris Nicastro
05-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Hey guys,
Its been a while since my last post and having read this thread so far I'm reminded of why I have not posted in so long.

Thanks Bill for fighting the good fight for us and continuing to win and set records. What these guys don't know is that behind the scenes I have helped Bill with some battery advice and products off the shelf that have resulted in breaking records. What we dont do is brag a whole bunch about this stuff and we quietly go about our business and try to provide customers with good products and customer service well after the sale. What is our warranty on OSE boats and electronics? The Boats (all of them) are covered for 90 days from the point of purchase, defects, incomplete parts, damage from shipping, etc. The Electronics are covered for 30 days from point of purchase, defects, etc. If you buy a product and there is a problem with it just contact us right away and do not modify it or try to fix it yourself before you contact us, thats all we ask so we can help you and get you back out to enjoy your hobby.

As far as the Atomik/Venom name change etc goes its very simple. We have restructured the company's product portfolio and focused Venom on electronics and batteries while moving all platforms over to Atomik. Its no different than a car company like Acura/Honda or Lexus/Toyota. We recognize that Venom is a better battery and electronics brand and is better known for those products around the world. We want to bring forward more aggressive and interesting products and opportunities for our customers and that is better done with Atomik. We also have a new brand for toys and simple RC called Steerix soon to launch. As we expand our brand portfolio the products will get better and better as we continue to evolve. That just means cooler stuff to play with than before!

As for the Atomik A.R.C C1 catamaran this has been in the works for a very long time and its my personal project. If you have any questions go ahead and ask me. The motor is perfectly matched for this application and barely breaks a sweat while providing more than 3000 peak watts of power. The motor mount was designed specifically for you guys in mind...not kidding. The mount is a 3 part CNC machined water cooled unit that surrounds the bolt pattern with water so the mounting face has maximum cooling. You should be able to use your favorite in-runner motor with a 25mm bolt pattern. I designed the outrunner motor with extra cooling as well. In testing we saw loads of around 90 to 110 amps while giving the boat good speed comparable to the stock gas boat and faster. That was the design objective nothing more. We wanted to use most of the same proven components from the gas boat so we had maximum compatibility and fewer skews for dealers to handle.
The interior is entirely new made from laser cut plywood and sealed. The battery tray is for a 6S pack in the center but as Paul explained the sponsons have been given their own independent battery trays so you can do anything you like. In any case the battery packs are as low as needed for even better handling with the freedom to adjust the CG fore and aft. The boat is very light a we have pointed out so with nearly twice the power of the gas version and much less weight the net result is faster top speed and better handling even in rough conditions.

This boat was designed for the guys who want a larger turn key solution and in some cases may not be able to run gas boats in their lake. To build this boat with higher quality performance parts is totally doable but the cost is even more prohibitive. I have seen modified version of our hull with Scorpion motor and CC ESC's and the price is basically double. We have managed to keep the cost low and hit a sweet spot for performance for the average customer whether that customer is new to the hobby or has some experience. The boat is simple and does what its supposed to do and nothing more. We have also provided a platform for more experience boaters to take it to the next level if they choose. Its taken us some time for the components, quality and capability to all line up so we could produce this new boat and finally its here and we are the first to do it commercially.

@ Brushless 55
Yes by your math if you held the throttle wide open until the pack quits you would have a couple minutes of runtime. I dont refute that but in practice when you drive an RTR like this and back off in turns and drive it around we get 5-7 minutes or more. If you add more capacity you will get longer runs over 10 minutes. The 6S pack, ESC and motor temps all come off well under our safety limits or we would have not released this product.

@snap32e
I'd be happy to hear about your product problem and help in any way I can. Please PM me and let me catch up with what happened so perhaps we can get you going again.

I'll be real candid here for a moment. The #1 reason we have had so many complaints in the recent past that have blown up on any of the popular forums is due to customers who did not follow our directions. They did not simply check if set screws are tightened with thread lock or they tried to fix/modify something then complained later when we wouldn't replace it. We have been extremely fair to most if not all of our boat customers (I'm singling them out) to the point of losing money just to help them and we have caught nothing but grief for it. So I say this with all sincerity just read and follow the directions and contact us when a problem comes up and be honest about whats going on with the product. He have all kinds of stories for days about people claiming "this is how it came".... no, it didn't come with pre-blown up electronics and modified parts from another boat Sir, I'm sorry we cant help.

We are very pleased to bring you the new Atomik Cat, enjoy.

Chris

forescott
05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Ive been pretty happy with both my c-1 and p-1. Tower has the arc in limited stock as of today, and hopefully I should see mine after the holiday.

forescott
05-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Just got mine yesterday

Doby
05-26-2012, 03:10 PM
And not in the water yet.........???

Whats the hold-up?

forescott
05-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Outta town for the weekend, and it wouldnt fit in the car!

EricSchlaifer
05-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi all. I'm a new Venom dealer and got a couple of the ARC's in last Friday. Ran the snot out of them all weekend! Out of the box they work fairly well. I think it will be a hit with the weekend warrior crowd. COG is a bit high with the stock battery location, I'm going to run two batteries and move them to the sponsons. I'll let everyone know how it works out. I'm also working on changing the motor out for something in the 500KV range and plan on running 12S. This big boat definitely needs more power than the stock electronics can provide. Overall I'm very pleased with the package Venom has put together and hope this boat is a sign of what is to come.

Chris Nicastro
05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Sounds great Eric keep us posted on your progress.
For the speed/performance out of the box the stock 6S arrangement is good enough to wet your appetite for sure. The ARC hull definitely has more speed potential but this is left up to more experienced boaters because this gets dangerous with the amount of power we are talking about. Your doing exactly what this boat was intended for so that's good to see.

Brushless55
05-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Paul Susbauer
Product Manager
Atomik-RC

the site claims 2000watts, and that pretty cool!
2000watts / 6s = about 90amps
most said to pull is 100amps continuous = about 2200watts, sweet!
runtimes @ 90amp cont. = 2.67min
@ 100amp cont. = 2.4min

no one on these forums I now of runs 25c 5000mah packs pulling 90-100amps cont
that would = some hot lipos and under powered and or stressed electronics

someone on this forum or another talked about long or good runtimes with this cat... :sad:
just sharing my thoughts :tiphat:

Hey guys,
Its been a while since my last post and having read this thread so far I'm reminded of why I have not posted in so long.

@ Brushless 55
Yes by your math if you held the throttle wide open until the pack quits you would have a couple minutes of runtime. I dont refute that but in practice when you drive an RTR like this and back off in turns and drive it around we get 5-7 minutes or more. If you add more capacity you will get longer runs over 10 minutes. The 6S pack, ESC and motor temps all come off well under our safety limits or we would have not released this product.

Chris

Just going by what Paul said about 100amps cont.
can't this hull take WOT turns? :unsure:
not sure how someone can more that double the runtimes by slowing a bit in the turns and yet WOT on the straights?
but 5-7min rutimes on 5000mah packs = 34 to 48 amps cont. or about 755 to 1065 watts :confused2:
just trying to figure out the 2000watts that's being advertised by venom, because that's still only about 2.7min of runtime

Just got mine yesterday

post some pics for us!

Hi all. I'm a new Venom dealer and got a couple of the ARC's in last Friday. Ran the snot out of them all weekend! Out of the box they work fairly well. I think it will be a hit with the weekend warrior crowd. COG is a bit high with the stock battery location, I'm going to run two batteries and move them to the sponsons. I'll let everyone know how it works out. I'm also working on changing the motor out for something in the 500KV range and plan on running 12S. This big boat definitely needs more power than the stock electronics can provide. Overall I'm very pleased with the package Venom has put together and hope this boat is a sign of what is to come.

hey welcome to OSE bro! :biggrin:
snap some pics of your Cat for us, and please keep us posted of the 12s rig :rockon2:

Chris Nicastro
05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Again if you are racing it WOT for the entire pack and not letting off then the load will be X and the run time will be Y. As we have driven it and other have as well we are experiencing longer run times than your math predicts. The load varies by throttle input and water conditions so unless your running on a perfect lake and WOT you will see the shortest run times. We test in all weather from calm to 15-20mph winds and 4-6in choppy water, best to worst case, to see how things go. The boat can handle all of that and the run times vary as such.
Also this is a scale style hull (narrower) not a hobby race hull (wider) so you should drive this hull with that in mind, that is why you back off entering a corner and power out of the corner. You can set the hull up to drift through a corner on power if you understand boat set up.

Brushless55
05-29-2012, 09:31 PM

wonder what the real Watts of this system are :confused1:

Again if you are racing it WOT for the entire pack and not letting off then the load will be X and the run time will be Y. As we have driven it and other have as well we are experiencing longer run times than your math predicts. The load varies by throttle input and water conditions so unless your running on a perfect lake and WOT you will see the shortest run times. We test in all weather from calm to 15-20mph winds and 4-6in choppy water, best to worst case, to see how things go. The boat can handle all of that and the run times vary as such.
Also this is a scale style hull (narrower) not a hobby race hull (wider) so you should drive this hull with that in mind, that is why you back off entering a corner and power out of the corner. You can set the hull up to drift through a corner on power if you understand boat set up.

what is X?
we are being told 5000mah 25c packs are more than enough for this boat at WOT
and we were told that is 100amps cont.. if so 25c won't cut it :noidea:

lots of racers including myself understand the water conditions effects how a boat runs and the loads on the esc/motor/batteries

from your postings this boat can't take WOT turns so now in this thread we are reading two different out comes of this RTR
plus runtimes are more than doubled for letting off in the turns??

only posting some thoughts that I have and possibly others as well :tiphat:

I want a big cat :sneaky2:

EricSchlaifer
05-29-2012, 10:36 PM
I modded the coupler today to fit the 6mm shaft. I'm going to run a Scorpion 500kv outrunner in it. I'm having trouble locating a suitable HV ESC stateside. If anyone has some recomendations I would love to hear them!

Here it is the day I unboxed it

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc98/ericschlaifer/2012-05-25154603.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc98/ericschlaifer/2012-05-27210726.jpg

I just ran today with a bit more positive thrust, finally got the boat to ride on the rear pad. I will try to get someone to take some video of it the next time I'm out so everyone can see it running.

Brushless55
05-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Eric, thank you for posting those pictures..
have you tried fightercat racing?
he has lots of HV escs to choose from..
any idea what your CG is at?
thanks

forescott
05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
When you say positive thrust, do you mean the angle of the strut?

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 12:21 AM
Eric, thank you for posting those pictures..
have you tried fightercat racing?
he has lots of HV escs to choose from..
any idea what your CG is at?
thanks

No problem!

With the battery in the stock location its roughly 19 inches. I think it would probably be better around 16-17". I expect that running a 12S configuration will improve it (since the batteries will be in the sponsons).

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
When you say positive thrust, do you mean the angle of the strut?

Haha, yes. I didn't realize how awkwardly I worded that until I just reread it.

Brushless55
05-30-2012, 12:27 AM
No problem!

With the battery in the stock location its roughly 19 inches. I think it would probably be better around 16-17". I expect that running a 12S configuration will improve it (since the batteries will be in the sponsons).

I think this hull is 55" so that puts you at about 35% right now..
and 16.5" puts ya at 30%, and that would possibly work better like you are thinking :tiphat:

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 12:48 AM
I think this hull is 55" so that puts you at about 35% right now..
and 16.5" puts ya at 30%, and that would possibly work better like you are thinking :tiphat:
Yea, its 55". I have already pulled the motor out of it to start the conversion for 12S. My friend has one as well and will be running 6S until he sees mine completed. I plan on running two 6s packs in parallel in the next few days so I can play with the CG and strut angle on his ARC. I realize most people who purchase this boat probably will stick with the stock electronics for awhile and I want to be able to recommend a good handling starting point.

Just took a peak over at fightercat and that 16S 300amp ESC looks to be just the ticket!

Brushless55
05-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Yea, its 55". I have already pulled the motor out of it to start the conversion for 12S. My friend has one as well and will be running 6S until he sees mine completed. I plan on running two 6s packs in parallel in the next few days so I can play with the CG and strut angle on his ARC. I realize most people who purchase this boat probably will stick with the stock electronics for awhile and I want to be able to recommend a good handling starting point.

Just took a peak over at fightercat and that 16S 300amp ESC looks to be just the ticket!

I would try this motor as I think it's near the same as stock but a different wind at 720kv and great for 10s runs
and only 55bucks
http://fightercatracing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=321&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 01:19 AM
I have to check the mount spacing in the morning, but that looks very nice. I also noticed there is a 520kv version as well. That's a way cheaper option than the 500KV Scorpion that I'm thinking of using. Thanks for the great suggestions!

I couldn't wait, just checked it will fall right in!

Rumdog
05-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Get a fightercat hv esc

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Get a fightercat hv esc

Yea looked at those last night, they look perfect. The price is damn good too! Now I'm just torn over using one of the fightercat outrunners or the scorpion I was originally planning on using.

Brushless55
05-30-2012, 11:17 AM
I have to check the mount spacing in the morning, but that looks very nice. I also noticed there is a 520kv version as well. That's a way cheaper option than the 500KV Scorpion that I'm thinking of using. Thanks for the great suggestions!

I couldn't wait, just checked it will fall right in!

Right on Eric
And I think the 1180kv version he sells is what comes in this boat (aka 1200kv)
And again only 55bucks

Chris Nicastro
05-30-2012, 11:30 AM
wonder what the real Watts of this system are :confused1:

what is X?
we are being told 5000mah 25c packs are more than enough for this boat at WOT
and we were told that is 100amps cont.. if so 25c won't cut it :noidea:

lots of racers including myself understand the water conditions effects how a boat runs and the loads on the esc/motor/batteries

from your postings this boat can't take WOT turns so now in this thread we are reading two different out comes of this RTR
plus runtimes are more than doubled for letting off in the turns??

only posting some thoughts that I have and possibly others as well :tiphat:

I want a big cat :sneaky2:

Well I'm not sure what to tell you, you'll just have to try it.

One of our employees bought an ARC and took it home over the long weekend and reported a 14.55min run time just playing around with it in choppy and windy conditions and being cautious. He ran a new 6S 25C 5000mah pack. He is a typical newcomer to big electrics so this is an example of the type of use and run times we should see. As a customer gets confident and faster with the boat things will change.

If you look at a data log graph when this boat is driven the peak amps hit at the pull of the trigger and taper off, its not a continuous high load. When you let off to turn the boat will coast so it reads nearly zero load and then the cycle starts again. So the added run time is from the fact that the load is not perfectly continuous coupled with the driving style you end up with more time than the straight math predicts.

In testing the 50C packs for sure are way better than the 25C packs but the point is the boat works fine with the least expensive packs too.

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Right on Eric
And I think the 1180kv version he sells is what comes in this boat (aka 1200kv)
And again only 55bucks

The boat comes with an 1100KV. I'm not sure who's making these motors for Venom, but it looks like an overgrown version of their other outrunners. The guys at Venom have told me that they are working on some factory upgrades for the motor/ESC for this boat. I'm hoping to have a good package to recomend to my customers soon. I would really like to get this boat past 50mph, but still keep a decent runtime. Right now my run times have been all over the place! Depending on the water conditions, strut angle, and driver I have seen runtimes between 5-12 minutes! Admittedly, I have a lot more real boat experience than RC boat experience. But, I was still pretty surprised to see so much variation. My friend ran his yesterday with what I felt was way too much strut angle. He had a 6 foot tall roost and would cavitate pretty badly getting on plane...had to really roll into the throttle. We did see the fastest top speed though, but the shortest run time - 5 min. It's why I'm so anxious to try to improve the CG. I also need to find my GPS. The boat did walk past his stock MG, so i'm pretty confident it is capable of 40+ out of the box.

Are boats like similar to most other electrics where its preferable to achiever rpms with higher volts/lower kv's, or vice versa? What is that seaking 120amp esc good for kv wise in everyone's opinion?

Chris Nicastro
05-30-2012, 11:40 AM
The ARC hull is the same as the gas boats we offer so the CG position is the same if you have any experience with the gas version.
If you set the CG up by the total length at a certain % then it will end up nose heavy. If you set the CG up with the wet hull length then the CG will be more accurate. I balance the hull at about 30mm ahead of the rear step and the hull runs pretty dry. The prop depth is aligned with the lowest edge of the sponsons, maximum. The angle is usually 0deg. and the boat runs OK like this. This hull has a good tunnel height and gets lighter with speed so depending on the days conditions you should set the drive angle and CG as needed.

Chris Nicastro
05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
The boat comes with an 1100KV. I'm not sure who's making these motors for Venom, but it looks like an overgrown version of their other outrunners. The guys at Venom have told me that they are working on some factory upgrades for the motor/ESC for this boat. I'm hoping to have a good package to recomend to my customers soon. I would really like to get this boat past 50mph, but still keep a decent runtime. Right now my run times have been all over the place! Depending on the water conditions, strut angle, and driver I have seen runtimes between 5-12 minutes! Admittedly, I have a lot more real boat experience than RC boat experience. But, I was still pretty surprised to see so much variation. My friend ran his yesterday with what I felt was way too much strut angle. He had a 6 foot tall roost and would cavitate pretty badly getting on plane...had to really roll into the throttle. We did see the fastest top speed though, but the shortest run time - 5 min. It's why I'm so anxious to try to improve the CG. I also need to find my GPS. The boat did walk past his stock MG, so i'm pretty confident it is capable of 40+ out of the box.

Are boats like similar to most other electrics where its preferable to achiever rpms with higher volts/lower kv's, or vice versa? What is that seaking 120amp esc good for kv wise in everyone's opinion?

The KV value is not the best way to go about this, you need to measure the load. The prop choice with any motor and ESC combo will make or break the set up. So even if the guys chime in with a KV suggestion it has to come with a prop and peak Amps info to be relevant. The ESC is rated to 120A cont. and up to 6S. That peak power value is 120A X 25.2V = 3024Watts That is the combos max potential output. That amount of watts puts us at nearly twice the HP of the typical stock Zenoah 26cc engine.
With 1100KV and the 54mm prop this combo on 6S is well matched to the 120A ESC with a margin of safety. With off the shelf components and some testing you will find a better more powerful combo for sure and go faster than the stock boat. If you test with different props you might find a little better top speed on the stock set up but you run the risk of blowing the ESC.

No matter what you do please test with a data logger to help you zero in on a set up while seeing exactly whats going on each run. Better yet if you have telemetry.

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
The ARC hull is the same as the gas boats we offer so the CG position is the same if you have any experience with the gas version.
If you set the CG up by the total length at a certain % then it will end up nose heavy. If you set the CG up with the wet hull length then the CG will be more accurate. I balance the hull at about 30mm ahead of the rear step and the hull runs pretty dry. The prop depth is aligned with the lowest edge of the sponsons, maximum. The angle is usually 0deg. and the boat runs OK like this. This hull has a good tunnel height and gets lighter with speed so depending on the days conditions you should set the drive angle and CG as needed.

Thanks Chris. I was running 0%, with the depth as you described (I have not strayed from those settings on my boat yet). It ran a tad wet for me with the battery in the stock position. I just checked CG and we are referencing the same point. I haven't confirmed it yet, but I suspect my friend had too little prop depth. And you are correct, at that point the hull is very stable. My boat got runtimes between 8-10 minutes. I had little to no cavitation, even when just stabbing the throttle. The boat planed easily too.

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 12:10 PM
The KV value is not the best way to go about this, you need to measure the load. The prop choice with any motor and ESC combo will make or break the set up. So even if the guys chime in with a KV suggestion it has to come with a prop and peak Amps info to be relevant. The ESC is rated to 120A cont. and up to 6S. That peak power value is 120A X 25.2V = 3024Watts That is the combos max potential output. That amount of watts puts us at nearly twice the HP of the typical stock Zenoah 26cc engine.
With 1100KV and the 54mm prop this combo on 6S is well matched to the 120A ESC with a margin of safety. With off the shelf components and some testing you will find a better more powerful combo for sure and go faster than the stock boat. If you test with different props you might find a little better top speed on the stock set up but you run the risk of blowing the ESC.

No matter what you do please test with a data logger to help you zero in on a set up while seeing exactly whats going on each run. Better yet if you have telemetry.

Thanks again Chris :) I do have a receiver with telemetry that I was planning on running with when I test the new 12S combo that I am working on, still trying to decide on ESC. But, that is still very much in the research stage. A data logger is a must! I'm not a fan of blowing up gear to determine that I have pushed it too far ;) I plan on running the boat stock while I acquire the right gear to set up 12S. The only mod i'm planning on immediatly is dual packs in the sponsons.

Chris Nicastro
05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
For your 12S test try to target 30,000RPM at peak values and go from there.
30000/50.4V = 595KV. With 20% losses you will see roughly 24000RPM at the prop. If you want more RPM then do the math to achieve 30000RPM after 20% losses. The trouble is with more RPM the prop size drops and the amps begin to pile on so I usually target 30000RPM after losses and adjust accordingly.
The ARC is set up at 27720 peak RPM and roughly 22000 to 23000 rpm at the prop. I have tested smaller props and more RPM and the boat suffers getting out of the hole and on step. Once on step the speed is great and we have gone over 50mph.

We will have a plug and play option set for 12S soon.

Brushless55
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Well I'm not sure what to tell you, you'll just have to try it.

One of our employees bought an ARC and took it home over the long weekend and reported a 14.55min run time just playing around with it in choppy and windy conditions and being cautious. He ran a new 6S 25C 5000mah pack. He is a typical newcomer to big electrics so this is an example of the type of use and run times we should see. As a customer gets confident and faster with the boat things will change.

If you look at a data log graph when this boat is driven the peak amps hit at the pull of the trigger and taper off, its not a continuous high load. When you let off to turn the boat will coast so it reads nearly zero load and then the cycle starts again. So the added run time is from the fact that the load is not perfectly continuous coupled with the driving style you end up with more time than the straight math predicts.

In testing the 50C packs for sure are way better than the 25C packs but the point is the boat works fine with the least expensive packs too.

your preaching to the choir on the full throttle off the throttle stuff
100amp cont will toast a 25c pack
and the math still does not compute with the 100amp cont WOT vs 14.55min runtimes
you cant be off the throttle that much with a system said to deliver 2000watts and still get almost 15min rutimes while sport runing ??
14.55min x 6s = only 16.5amps = 366watts!

my race boats see 2.75min and maybe a little more racing and close to 4.5min max for sport running, and that's with lots of slowing in the corners and splashing my friends on the shores

The boat comes with an 1100KV. I'm not sure who's making these motors for Venom, but it looks like an overgrown version of their other outrunners. The guys at Venom have told me that they are working on some factory upgrades for the motor/ESC for this boat. I'm hoping to have a good package to recomend to my customers soon. I would really like to get this boat past 50mph, but still keep a decent runtime. I also need to find my GPS. The boat did walk past his stock MG, so i'm pretty confident it is capable of 40+ out of the box.

the specs say 1200kv same as the FC version for much much less than venoms price
and stick with fightercat on the electronic upgrades.. the venom stuff will be over priced vs his
save your money on this bro

every racer I know and all on these forums take mesurements from the back of the hull.. not from the rudder or stut

uh we are many steps ahead here..
going lower KV with more volts = more efficiency = cooler running electronics and longer rutimes
KV value is very important for putting together a great running setup

and one cannot compare a gas motor to a esc for power.. the motor only draws what it needs to run and no more

Thanks Chris. I was running 0%, with the depth as you described (I have not strayed from those settings on my boat yet). It ran a tad wet for me with the battery in the stock position. I just checked CG and we are referencing the same point. I haven't confirmed it yet, but I suspect my friend had too little prop depth. And you are correct, at that point the hull is very stable. My boat got runtimes between 8-10 minutes. I had little to no cavitation, even when just stabbing the throttle. The boat planed easily too.

your at about 24 to 30 amps = 533 to 667 watts

For your 12S test try to target 30,000RPM at peak values and go from there.
30000/50.4V = 595KV. With 20% losses you will see roughly 24000RPM at the prop. If you want more RPM then do the math to achieve 30000RPM after 20% losses. The trouble is with more RPM the prop size drops and the amps begin to pile on so I usually target 30000RPM after losses and adjust accordingly.
The ARC is set up at 27720 peak RPM and roughly 22000 to 23000 rpm at the prop. I have tested smaller props and more RPM and the boat suffers getting out of the hole and on step. Once on step the speed is great and we have gone over 50mph.

We will have a plug and play option set for 12S soon.

30k taget on 12s may not be the best for a big cat like this..
many run much lower rpms on a rig this size and get great results
uh where is the load (peak amps) and prop sizes?

:tiphat: have a great day

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Brushless,
I'm probably going to head out with my buddy and his ARC today. I will time a run at WOT the whole time and let you know the run time (after I fix the prop adjustments of course).

Chris Nicastro
05-30-2012, 02:51 PM
I think your mistaking or misquoting the peak value for constant value (actually average load value).The boats power system at nominal values is over 2000W etc. What you actually use to get around isn't always 2000W. The system is capable of 3000W using peak values technically but rather than use that value we understated it using nominal power.

Running a 25C 5000mah pack at 100A continuous is under its specified limit of 125A. Is it recommended you run a battery pack under that condition...not if you don't know what your doing, period. Is that what we are saying here? No we are not. We do load test our battery packs here in house with scientific equipment and in practical test models to meet our minimum requirements. We are very well versed in LiPO usage, testing and applications.

As for hull CG you can measure it from anywhere you want as long as you are consistent about it. It screws other people up if you use a nonstandard method but that's about it. One guys 35% can be another guys 30% as long as they know that....who cares? I measure from the transom of the wet hull. If there is an excessive overhang then you can bring other math into it and calculate moments of inertia to determine CG, do we have to split atoms here? No.

When it comes to set up and electronics choices there are many ways you can go about that. I start with the target RPM to determine the motor to try. From experience or other data I know what ESC to try. Until I put it in the water with a data logger I always go for the smallest prop to establish a base line A/W/V reading. Then I adjust things from there.
Can you show me how to predict amp loads in water without knowing any info before hand?

And... umm... yes you can compare a gas engines power to a brushless system because there are mathematical relations to draw comparisons from.

As I stated a KV value alone is not info to go on because its part of a system...need more info. like a baseline test or practical data from an identical set up, etc. He asked for just a KV recommendation only.

Also these cats are for straight line open water style racing boats not high speed tight turns. Watch full scale or even the Europeans race with their RC 60 to 92in cats and they always slow down in the turns and power back out. The guys that race cats in ovals would not like this hull for that application. Run this ARC hull as a class and its a different story.

Rather than pick this boat apart with your many questions and arguments lets just agree this is probably not the boat for you and move on. You race boats, thats fine, this is not a race boat like you run.

rawsonreyes
05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
hi guys i read the forum what i think is why not give your expertise on a proper setup mr 55 so guys who has the boat will get it running better, thanks to you and the venom guys may seek your help on their next project.i have been in boating for over 20yrs and still learning so for the love of the sport lets all work together for the general improvement of model boating,we can share knowledge,that's what we would all want i guess, and get better run times and more speed for less price.think it's a nice project from venom/atomic and hope they keep trying.it will always have unsatisfied people but sometimes it helps improve things when looked at all possibilities.:hornets_nest:

Brushless55
05-30-2012, 03:53 PM
1)I think your mistaking or misquoting the peak value for constant value (actually average load value).The boats power system at nominal values is over 2000W etc. What you actually use to get around isn't always 2000W. The system is capable of 3000W using peak values technically but rather than use that value we understated it using nominal power.

2)Running a 25C 5000mah pack at 100A continuous is under its specified limit of 125A. Is it recommended you run a battery pack under that condition...not if you don't know what your doing, period. Is that what we are saying here? No we are not. We do load test our battery packs here in house with scientific equipment and in practical test models to meet our minimum requirements. We are very well versed in LiPO usage, testing and applications.

3)As for hull CG you can measure it from anywhere you want as long as you are consistent about it. It screws other people up if you use a nonstandard method but that's about it. One guys 35% can be another guys 30% as long as they know that....who cares? I measure from the transom of the wet hull. If there is an excessive overhang then you can bring other math into it and calculate moments of inertia to determine CG, do we have to split atoms here? No.

4)When it comes to set up and electronics choices there are many ways you can go about that. I start with the target RPM to determine the motor to try. From experience or other data I know what ESC to try. Until I put it in the water with a data logger I always go for the smallest prop to establish a base line A/W/V reading. Then I adjust things from there.
Can you show me how to predict amp loads in water without knowing any info before hand?

5)And... umm... yes you can compare a gas engines power to a brushless system because there are mathematical relations to draw comparisons from.

6)As I stated a KV value alone is not info to go on because its part of a system...need more info. like a baseline test or practical data from an identical set up, etc. He asked for just a KV recommendation only.

7)Also these cats are for straight line open water style racing boats not high speed tight turns. Watch full scale or even the Europeans race with their RC 60 to 92in cats and they always slow down in the turns and power back out. The guys that race cats in ovals would not like this hull for that application. Run this ARC hull as a class and its a different story.

8)Rather than pick this boat apart with your many questions and arguments lets just agree this is probably not the boat for you and move on. You race boats, thats fine, this is not a race boat like you run.

1) not my mistake, but from a Venom reps quote of 100amps cont. here on OSE..
2000watts / 6s = 90amps and that part is cool
reality sounds more like 50-60amps cont = 1100 to 1300watts with runtimes to follow of about 5min and that is a decent time, actually great time for a hull this size

2) pulling a constant 100amps through a 5000mah 25c pack is very hard on it and could spell problems with constant use.. most packs are over rated and cant deliver true C rated power
jsut saying..

3) Who cares? well we all do on CG placement.. most if not all use the transom as the starting point when measuring for cg IMO

4) not me but you were the one from the earlier post saying we needed loads first before we could give any advice.. just following what you said
no way to really come up with that figure unless we put it in the water and I agree on that..

5) uhhmmmm, not by what you posted earlier.. you cannot compare an esc rating to a gas motor...
my P-Spec racer uses a esc rated to over 4000watts, does that mean I have almost 5 1/2hp? no not at all.. you need the motor that pulls the amps / 746 watts = 1hp
that is not determined by the esc but the motor.. and you need like you said an esc that can take the amps adn I agree

6) how can you get practical data with out trying something first.. kinda goes back to #4 ( a big quoted contradiction sort a )

7) I agree these are more suited for straigh line runs vs actual racing.. I know because I owned a GAS KOS (if it's anything like that hull).. check my albums
I agree, having 5 or more on a course and it would be a blast!!

8) I have every right to ask all questions I want.. this is after all a free open forum!
just reading very carefully of what is being posted by venom and others about this new boat, and things don't line up

again have a great day.. I would love to be a high altitude tester for this boat! :rockon2:
the waters are fast up here ya know! :laugh:

rawsonreyes
05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
hi mr 55 just buy one test it if it don't work to your liking sell it. asking all the questions is your right but giving pro answers is even greater,simply put make recommendations for improvement on the boat.it don't matter who's wrong or right but getting the end results corrected.:bash:

rawsonreyes
05-30-2012, 05:12 PM
what's the cost of the boat and where can it be found.that would be good info to start with.:help:

Brushless55
05-30-2012, 05:23 PM
what's the cost of the boat and where can it be found.that would be good info to start with.:help:

That info (link) is on the first page of this thread I think.. ;)

wes777
05-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a 58 segad with a gas motor i would like to change to electric. i'm not a racer but would be looking at about 45mph and a longer run time, with the ability to slow it down if my grandkids want to try it, and oh yea they want to try everything. not trying to change this thread, but it looked like close to the same boat.

I just joined the forum this week and have been reading it for 3 weeks.

Thanks for any help

Brushless55
05-30-2012, 05:45 PM
I have a 58 segad with a gas motor i would like to change to electric. i'm not a racer but would be looking at about 45mph and a longer run time, with the ability to slow it down if my grandkids want to try it, and oh yea they want to try everything. not trying to change this thread, but it looked like close to the same boat.

Thanks for any help

Let me be one of the first to welcome you to OSE!
Check around as there are a couple threads on converting your Gas Cat to brushless on OSE
Also Steven sells a ton of great stuff for making this happen..

Rumdog
05-30-2012, 06:37 PM
$1000.00???????
WTF?!
I feel for ANYONE who buys this boat.
Thats the most ridiculous markup I've seen yet in this hobby.
Can't say I'm surprised.

Then youll wanna upgrade....
I could buy 3 of the new AQ Revolt for that price and give 2 to buddies to come run with me for the price of this, and be much happier with the performance and use of the $$

forescott
05-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Keeping up with this thread is exhausting and starting to stress me out.....

Rumdog
05-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Did you buy one, Forescott?
If so, can I ask why?
$1000? It just isn't there. Not even close.

LarrysDrifter
05-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Screw the dumb boat, Ill take Scotts old Chevy truck.

Brushless55
05-30-2012, 08:30 PM

Thanks for any help

Let me be one of the first to welcome you to OSE!
Check around as there are a couple threads on converting your Gas Cat to brushless on OSE
Also Steven sells a ton of great stuff for making this happen..

Didn't see the longer runtimes in your posting..
you wont see that converting over to brushless.. sorry

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 09:29 PM

Thanks for any help

Welcome it is the same hull, with the exhaust hole plugged up of course. The inside layout is different as well. I'm not sure how old your grandkids are, but I don't think this boat will be a good fit for young children. It will behave just like your gas segad does and will probably be a handfull for the kids. Plus the cost of the conversion would probably be more than a kid friendly RTR of a smaller scale. Something like the miss geico. Anyone can drive that boat with ease.

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Keeping up with this thread is exhausting and starting to stress me out.....
I feel your pain! Have you run yours yet?

forescott
05-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Did you buy one, Forescott?
If so, can I ask why?
$1000? It just isn't there. Not even close.

Yeah, its pretty pricey. We all know we can buy the same electronics from hobbyking for a fraction of the price. I guess I'm just a sucker for scale-looking cats. :unsure:

forescott
05-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Screw the dumb boat, Ill take Scotts old Chevy truck.

Thanks Larry. The truck has been my distraction from FE for the last 8 months.

forescott
05-30-2012, 10:06 PM
I feel your pain! Have you run yours yet?

Nope, mines still in the box. I'm right in the middle of moving, so I've been too busy to play lately. Still contemplating the upgrades, and hoping you guys figure it out first!

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Nope, mines still in the box. I'm right in the middle of moving, so I've been too busy to play lately. Still contemplating the upgrades, and hoping you guys figure it out first!

I'm still debating voltage/kv/props. TBH I may keep running it stock and play with CG some more before I make my final decision. The only mod I've done was on day one, I dropped a spektrum receiver in it. Moving is a pain, I hope I dont have to do again for some time. Hope you get a minute to try it out soon. Its my first large scale boat and its got me hooked.

forescott
05-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Can you tell me the propshaft size? I,d like to pick up a nice sharpened and balanced prop before i run it.

EricSchlaifer
05-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Can you tell me the propshaft size? I,d like to pick up a nice sharpened and balanced prop before i run it.

5mm

Brushless55
05-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Welcome it is the same hull, with the exhaust hole plugged up of course. The inside layout is different as well. I'm not sure how old your grandkids are, but I don't think this boat will be a good fit for young children. It will behave just like your gas segad does and will probably be a handfull for the kids. Plus the cost of the conversion would probably be more than a kid friendly RTR of a smaller scale. Something like the miss geico. Anyone can drive that boat with ease.

LOL, only if you buy the parts from venom! :laugh:
you can get a similar motor and esc from fightercatracing for much much less
about 55bucks for the motor and a 6s 140amp esc for 50bucks, and that's a better esc than the stock one

and the layout? who cares many do conversions all the time, and this one has tons of room :tiphat:

wes777
05-31-2012, 12:51 AM
That doesn't really matter, on the long run times. i just see some of you saying 3 or 4 min and i will be good with 10-15. i live on the water, so i can run my boat any time i want, sorry for you guys that have to drive to a lake, but it is a PITA when it stops and you have to go and get it. Just looking for some fun, and no the grand kids cannot use the gas motor, already tried that. to fast for them. they are 4 years old. if you don't understand this you are probably younger than me. Oh and if you think I don't know about racing I still race motorcross in the 50+ class and have been racing for 30 yrs, but I"m sorry i really don't think i want to race boats. hope you guys have a great time doing it. I have really enjoyed the pics and vids yall have put up on here. some of these boats are really unbelievable, and i know you work really hard at producing these type of racing machines. hope you can understand what i'm looking for now. thanks for the replys.

Chris Nicastro
06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Wes777 there are a lot of better kid friendly boats out there that are not so performance oriented and expensive. You can shop around for little cats and deep-v's that take a single small battery pack and the hulls are plastic. If you want something that you will enjoy alone and then dial it back so you can drive it with your grand kids then most of the boats in the hobby will work for you if the radio system has a throttle end point adjustment (EPA). Simply reduce the amount of throttle the transmitter commands to the ESC to use and you have a governor for your kids. It just depends and there is a lot to choose from.

wes777
06-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the advice

Rumdog
06-20-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd think this would be almost if not the most kid friendly FE boat on the market. Single 6s battery, slow, and big, so it's easy to see and most likely won't be flipping much due to its size and speed.

Chris Nicastro
06-20-2012, 02:23 PM
It could be I guess but it depends on your judgement and keep in mind we are talking about very young kids.

wes777
06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Rumdog, that is kind of what i was thinking, but right now, i'm going to try the gas motor again, and if i cannot get it to run the way i want it to i will be looking at a single motor with 6s maybe a pair to extend the run time, just run a small enough prop to where i doesn't over heat, then the kids can play with it , i will get something else.

Chris Nicastro
06-20-2012, 02:46 PM
If you want to run the gas boat (Segad was it?) you can add our compact clutch to it so it will idle. That may make it easier to handle with the kids instead of the direct drive. You can also limit the throttle easily to slow it down for them as you like.

DK535
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Has anyone made a run vids yet? Im dying to see some footage!!!

Chris Nicastro
06-20-2012, 05:21 PM
http://youtu.be/kODAhPK3AnA

DK535
06-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks Chris but I've scene this. Was hoping that some of you guys on this thread who have this boat made some actual run vids.

bigcam406
06-22-2012, 10:08 AM
was just on Tower Hobbies website and it says its discontinued.that was quick.......:ohmy:

electric
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
was just on Tower Hobbies website and it says its discontinued.that was quick.......:ohmy: You're right, that is strange. Surely someone got the wrong status update set?

forescott
06-22-2012, 01:28 PM
It says discontinued because there's a problem with the Outrunner motor. Some of them had some bad epoxy somewhere in the motor And they are scrambling to replace them. I got a call from venom 2 days ago about this. They are sending out new motors. Or offering to ship the boat both ways and replace them for free. Yikes!

Brushless55
06-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks Chris but I've scene this. Was hoping that some of you guys on this thread who have this boat made some actual run vids.

That wold be nice to see actual vids and not some promo

was just on Tower Hobbies website and it says its discontinued.that was quick.......:ohmy:

LOL.. the issues begin

bigcam406
06-22-2012, 07:48 PM
thats what i thought as well.nice looking boat though....

lenny
06-22-2012, 08:19 PM
What happen to the planning and development, :noidea:
And now the motors are taking a *!***!***!***!** already.:glare:

The Atomik design team pulled out all the stops with a whopping 2000 watts of brushless electric power out of the stock 1100Kv outrunner mounted in a water-cooled CNC aluminum motor mount. All that power is controlled with a robust 120A water-cooled ESC for a 40+ mph out of the box top speed."

Brushless55
06-22-2012, 08:50 PM
What happen to the planning and development, :noidea:
And now the motors are taking a *!***!***!***!** already.:glare:

The Atomik design team pulled out all the stops with a whopping 2000 watts of brushless electric power out of the stock 1100Kv outrunner mounted in a water-cooled CNC aluminum motor mount. All that power is controlled with a robust 120A water-cooled ESC for a 40+ mph out of the box top speed."

Good question bro!
with all the bragging done by those who make comments like they have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours delevoping this brushless boat that is better than anyone else, and anyone who has a different opinion are made to think they are dumb and know nothing about FE boats :doh:
kinda reminds me of why I don't by venom any more :bash:

LarrysDrifter
06-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Different name, same garbage.

bigcam406
06-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Different name, same garbage.

yup:lol:

roadrashracing
06-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Now its right, needed a garbage name

bigcam406
06-23-2012, 01:19 AM
:rockon2:

Brushless55
06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Looks like its even gone from there own site? :confused1:

roadrashracing
06-24-2012, 01:50 PM
its still there sorry, http://www.atomik-rc.com/Atomik-ARC-58in-RTR-Electric-Boat.html

Richard Haskill
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
I have this boat on order and can't wait to get it.

One question for everyone on this thread.

If you have so much hate and dislike for Venom/Atomik then why are you on this section of the forum?

I run Venom/Atomik in all of my RC's from Losi sliders to my All Venom/Atomik scale rock crawlers and love the stuff they have. The old Venom stuff is gone. The new stuff is of 100% better quality.

Every new RC product no matter the maker has bugs. Look at the Axial EXO Terra buggy if you don't believe me.

Rumdog
06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Good god. Another Venom guy talking up their product. This boat is a toilet.

Rumdog
06-24-2012, 05:29 PM
3 total posts, all hyping Venom crap. Funny.

Richard Haskill
06-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Do you have any of the newer Venom products?

Rumdog
06-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Like this turd, which is already pulled from retailers because of the faulty cheap as possible outrunner? No.

Richard Haskill
06-24-2012, 06:46 PM
I truely am sorry you feel this way. I don't have this one but will have very soon.
I do have sevral venom boats and they all run great. Gas and electric.

I'm not just saying this because I have ties with Venom/Atomik. My week old EKOS cat has a ton of packs through it and only issue was a solder joint on the starboard side. Resoldered it and not nother issue. I run my boats just about everyday weather allowing.

Brushless55
06-24-2012, 06:53 PM
its still there sorry, http://www.atomik-rc.com/Atomik-ARC-58in-RTR-Electric-Boat.html

The link on RCU I clicked on did not have the boat anymore.... :huh:

:lol:

DK535
06-24-2012, 09:13 PM

I agree with Rum Dog it's a toilet! Now it's clogged with crap too!!!

rpedro
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
I am considering buying one of these as my entry into rc electric boats, I REALLY like the large size, and I am liking what I am seeing and reading, EXCEPT for all the trashing of the boat here... I am not sure what I should do... I am not looking for some pro boat, and this one seems to be good for what I am looking for... Chris from Atomik, I would like to talk to you about this boat and what I need to know in making a purchase if I decide...

Brushless55
06-28-2012, 03:44 PM
I am considering buying one of these as my entry into rc electric boats, I REALLY like the large size, and I am liking what I am seeing and reading, EXCEPT for all the trashing of the boat here... I am not sure what I should do... I am not looking for some pro boat, and this one seems to be good for what I am looking for... Chris from Atomik, I would like to talk to you about this boat and what I need to know in making a purchase if I decide...

It's obvious you are not reading the whole thread...
and not putting 2 + 2 together... :confused1:
want and great starter?
this is it and in so many ways!
http://towerhobbies.com/products/aquacraft/aqub24.html

dana
06-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Seriously... Get this boat and some maxamps lipos lol

rpedro
06-28-2012, 08:02 PM
I read the WHOLE thread... I like the boat ok... but just trying to figure out if dropping $1k on this thing is really going to do it for me... I am reading all I can, but I am seeing a TON of hatred on this boat here and what I dont understand is NONE of you guys actually own the thing... I want ACTUAL owners feedback... not some bitter members against VENOM or ATOMIK... I have seen the VENOM models in the past, and the quality just isn't there, especially with the hull integrity, paint etc etc... I need to be sure the ATOMIKS aren't just remade VENOMS...

Rumdog
06-28-2012, 08:10 PM
All you need to know is that it isn't worth near what they want for it. And it is severely underpowered, plus the motors are failing. What's to like?

rpedro
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
has anyone here that ACTUALLY bought the boat got anything to say about it??? quality, running info etc??? actual running videos would be helpful too...

Rumdog
06-28-2012, 08:19 PM
If you don't want advice...
Good luck, new guy.

rpedro
06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
not at all I will appreciate any and ALL advice... I just don't want to get a bunch of people just trashing the Atomik products without first hand knowledge of actually trying them out...

Brushless55
06-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I read the WHOLE thread... I like the boat ok... but just trying to figure out if dropping $1k on this thing is really going to do it for me... I am reading all I can, but I am seeing a TON of hatred on this boat here and what I dont understand is NONE of you guys actually own the thing... I want ACTUAL owners feedback... not some bitter members against VENOM or ATOMIK... I have seen the VENOM models in the past, and the quality just isn't there, especially with the hull integrity, paint etc etc... I need to be sure the ATOMIKS aren't just remade VENOMS...

LOL
not sure how to realy start on this one..
so you say you have read throught this forum?
but yet all you read is hatred?
UHHHHHHHHHH..........
in between those lines you will see actual owners of venom products including me and others, and I see your comments on venom....
venom is atomik is venom... they changed there name... same company same issues same bugus!
not sure what is left to say...

oh, other than they still rebrand items and mark them up 200% :bash:

Brushless55
06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
has anyone here that ACTUALLY bought the boat got anything to say about it??? quality, running info etc??? actual running videos would be helpful too...

the only ones who have one are those who sell them...
and no flippin videos showing runs more than 20sec.
venom uhr I mean atomik pulled it off the shelves, cuz its a big fat high priced TURD!

rpedro
06-28-2012, 09:07 PM
I appreciate all your info, and thoughts... I will seriously rethink my options... thanks

bigcam406
06-28-2012, 09:10 PM
if they just released it,and pulled it off the shelves,what does that tell you? i have better things to spend a grand on...

Chris Nicastro
06-29-2012, 01:16 PM
So I guess it means nothing to any of you guys when a company stands by their product and proactively recalls a product because of a production or design mistake? How many of you drive Toyota or any domestic brand or even a BMW that ALL have had their issues and recalls and still you drive them?

Our motor had the wrong epoxy and the magnets could not stay bonded to the rotor, plain and simple. We identified this fault and recalled the whole boat, paid for shipping, and replaced the motors for FREE. Try that with your favorite offshore brand and tell me about the service and support you get elsewhere with any brand on a big ticket item like this boat. This is the least we will do for our customers.
The A.R.C. is still in production and has not been pulled from stores.

The current spec motor epoxy can withstand temps to 316F/158C. The motor has been run to over 200F with no problem although not recommended. The rotor has been put in an oven and baked then had the magnets attempted to be pried off only to chip the edges off. So NO, this is not a cheap quality motor.

Chris Nicastro
06-29-2012, 01:22 PM
All you need to know is that it isn't worth near what they want for it. And it is severely underpowered, plus the motors are failing. What's to like?

Severely? Seriously? Have you driven this boat or seen it run in person? On what basis or standard is this SEVERELY under powered? Is it because its not one of your custom built boats and its not up to your personal standard?

For the record there is no production boat on the market in the USA from any brand in this size class with this performance. This boat is faster than the gas equivalent.

Its clearly not for you since your way past this kind of RTR product.

Rumdog
06-29-2012, 01:52 PM
But, it is inexpensive. What do you charge for a replacement, again?

Chris Nicastro
06-29-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.atomik-rc.com/V700-Marine-Outrunner-1100Kv.html

Have you priced a Scorpion 45 series motor lately? Or some other motor that can handle this application? This is a 48mm OD motor we are using in this boat.

Just because the price is low doesn't mean its not up to the job and that is exactly what I have been working on with this project. We developed this boat to be able to bring to market a mass produced, high power, larger platform that is, the RC boating world, reasonably priced. If this was so easy then all of the other brands would have one.

...and believe me I tested the $15 inrunners from HK, they worked for maybe 3 runs.

Rumdog
06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
I run a motor just like it in a 30" mono. That's what it's suited for. Being faster than a stock Zen knockoff is nothing to be proud of either. 2k watts in a boat this size is funny. Just like 6s1p is, and a 120 amp esc.

Bottom mine is,this boat isn't worth near what you charge for it. Unless you claim it to be a $800 hull.

Rumdog
06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Also, it sure as hell is no Scorpion!

Brushless55
06-29-2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.atomik-rc.com/V700-Marine-Outrunner-1100Kv.html

Have you priced a Scorpion 45 series motor lately? Or some other motor that can handle this application? This is a 48mm OD motor we are using in this boat.

Just because the price is low doesn't mean its not up to the job and that is exactly what I have been working on with this project. We developed this boat to be able to bring to market a mass produced, high power, larger platform that is, the RC boating world, reasonably priced. If this was so easy then all of the other brands would have one.

...and believe me I tested the $15 inrunners from HK, they worked for maybe 3 runs.

LOL!
WTF? your comparing this thing to a Scorpion motor? what a joke! :blink:
this motor is about the size of the venom motor for only 45 BUCKS!
oh but wait, it's rated at 3,000watts not 2k like venom
http://fightercatracing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=125&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I run a motor just like it in a 30" mono. That's what it's suited for. Being faster than a stock Zen knockoff is nothing to be proud of either. 2k watts in a boat this size is funny. Just like 6s1p is, and a 120 amp esc.

Bottom mine is,this boat isn't worth near what you charge for it. Unless you claim it to be a $800 hull.

I had the Gas KOS and let me tell ya it aint much to talk about in stock trim... so this one does not have to work hard to beat it :lol:

Also, it sure as hell is no Scorpion!

Chris Nicastro
06-29-2012, 03:57 PM
You guys are funny and really great at picking my replies apart to suit your arguments. If you read what I wrote carefully this time Im not comparing our motor in any way other than price. Furthermore as I stated in a previous post this motor and ESC combo are good for over 3000 Watts, we underrated our claim of 2000W to be conservative. And... again, let me be clear these are peak values not continuous.

A 37mm OD motor is hardly equivalent to a 48mm OD motor, sorry but your comparison has no merit. If it was then I would have used it because it is less expensive.

Do you really know what 2000-3000W is and how that compares to a 26cc engine, Zenoah or clone?
Do you understand this boat is lighter and has more power than its gas equivalent or any other RTR 50in class boat? So again how is this substandard? There is no retail product to compare this boat to...period. It is the standard for now.
Do you guys, Brushless55 and Rumdog, know what it takes to produce these products or do you just enjoy bashing them on forums?

So I'm done with this senseless arguing just for the sake of your entertainment, you don't like the specs, you don't like the product, you don't like the company and you sure don't like me telling you this so just leave it like that and move on to something more productive.

Thanks for your feedback, if anyone is left on here that has some questions regarding the Atomik A.R.C please feel free to ask me.

Chris

JimClark
06-29-2012, 04:53 PM
this thread is done stick a fork in it