PDA

View Full Version : Dual-Rudder Kit Installation on Impulse 31

Darin Jordan
05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi Guys.

Just for the experience of it, I installed the Pro Boat Dual rudder conversion onto one of my Impulse 31's this past weekend, setup for P-Mono with a Losi Xcelorin 2100KV 1/8th Scale buggy motor.

Installation was straight-forward. It's basically just another stock rudder and bracket, mounted 180-degrees opposite, with some additional linkages to connect the two.

After spending some time getting them aligned, it was ready to go.

The additional drag will obviously slow the boat some, but with a keel-line that is only about 29" long, the boat is over-powered with these true P-Mono power systems anyhow, and the extra drag aided well in the stability.

Running an X447/3, the boat was still fast, and handled VERY predictably. I raced it in two heats of P-Mono and had a struggle to keep the boat on the water in those first two heats. I had tested in the morning and had it WAY too pinned down, so I had loosened it up a turn or so on the tabs, and that was a mistake.

For the 3rd heat, I raised the strut WAY up... It's a good 3/8" or maybe a little more from the bottom of the strut to the keel. I also turned the tabs down one full turn.

This time out, the boat handling was MUCH improved, and I was rocking along fine, but had a wire unsolder from the motor. This is a buggy motor with the "car-guy" style tabs on it and it appears that I had a cold solder joint to start with. Temps were in the mid-120s...

I'll test this some more and try to get some video too.

Working on seeing what I can do to make something like this survive a heat of real P-Mono style racing. The boat is really happy with P-Ltd power, but gets pretty squirrely when you really start laying the power down.

The dual rudders really seemed to help with that...

SFC K
05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
That is good to know Darin. Thanks for the write up. Are you still using the stock servo?

Darin Jordan
05-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Are you still using the stock servo?

Good question.. I believe it is. The stock Digital servo isn't too bad. The linkage is all stock as well. It has a little bit of give in it, which doesn't seem to hurt the handling, but will help protect the servo.

SFC K
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
That is good info. I may upgrade later on. I need to get mine in the water first. I just got it unboxed and have to put it together. I noticed that you have what looks like magnets for the hatch. Did you add those or did the first run come that way?

Darin Jordan
05-02-2012, 12:18 PM
This was the 2nd Prototype hull... Changes were made prior to production, which included getting rid of the useless magnets and going to a positive latching system...

d.a.v.e
05-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Did you have to put a different motor mount in?

Darin Jordan
05-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Did you have to put a different motor mount in?

Ummmm... I didn't HAVE to, but I did... The stock motor doesn't need the 2nd rudder for the speeds it achieves. I'm not sure the hotter motor does either, but I did it to help actually ADD some drag to see if it would calm it down in race water at those higher speeds.

SFC K
05-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Darin,

I have another question for you on the dual rudder set-up? When you ran the water cooling line, did you add another water outlet? I see you drilled another hole in the transome but how did you run you cooling lines to exit out of the boat? Did you use a "T" split or something and left the one outlet? I ordered one and am making sure I everything ready to install once it arrives.

Thanks!

SFC K
05-24-2012, 11:18 PM
I installed the dual rudder tonight. I mounted the link swing arms a little different than you Darin and went with the "T" for the water cooling lines. I'm going to give this a test run this weekend if the weather will behave.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/SFC_K/Impulse%2031/DSCN4685.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/SFC_K/Impulse%2031/DSCN4681.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/SFC_K/Impulse%2031/DSCN4735.jpg

Darin Jordan
05-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Darin,

I have another question for you on the dual rudder set-up? When you ran the water cooling line, did you add another water outlet? I see you drilled another hole in the transome but how did you run you cooling lines to exit out of the boat? Did you use a "T" split or something and left the one outlet? I ordered one and am making sure I everything ready to install once it arrives.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay... I'm not getting the reply notifications for some reason....

I added another outlet for the water cooling, and ran the second rudder line through the ESC only. So the right rudder serves the motor, and the left serves the ESC, with individual outlet fittings.

Let me know how it works out. With the stock power system, this is likely going to slow the boat down a bit, and you may not be impressed. However, with a hotter power system, I do think it increases control.

G-UNIT
05-26-2012, 10:47 PM
DARIN: You are a marketing guro, sell it w/confictioun ( spelling) I like it.
I put a t180a esc in the impulse but have a little issue with space and how do you set up the cooling with a single rudder.
in from rudder to esc, loop out to esc to in esc out to motor then out of boat?
do you follow me on this? and is this correct?

SFC K
06-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Well I took the Impluse out today and it handled awesome! I don't think it was much slower than my first run. Water conditions were pretty good. I'm pretty happy with it now. It does steer better when going at slower speeds. I'm going to go out again tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to get some videos too. My son was with me today so it was a bit much trying to drive and take pictures and keep him from going to deep in the water.

Garrett
08-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Do You think this setup will work with the Mystic 29? I figure with 2 rudders and a 3 bladed propeller, the 80A ESC and twin 11.1v LiPo Batteries, it should scream across the water. Maybe the drag of the 2nd rudder in the water would prevent the boat from porpoising. But then again I could be wrong. Any input on the idea?

veejo
08-28-2012, 05:57 AM
I haven't installed mine yet, bought it because my 5 -1/2 year old said it would look cool.
I thought I'd leave the dual rudder setup until we get hold of one of the new impulse 31, it was hard enough to get the dual rudder kit .... stock problems ....my son reckons the colours are cool, then we can one each ....... I sank his super vee so I owe him a boat and likes the impulse.

I'm also interested in what the mystic would be like with a dual rudder setup, as we also have a mystic.

Just wish probaot would add a bit more fibreglass when they bond the deck to the hull, I'd pay the extra couple of bucks.

Nismo400rgtr
08-28-2012, 06:26 PM
I just installed the Dual rudder on my boat last night.Gonna maiden it this coming weekend. I'm glad to read that its helps with stability. Flipping and loosing parts is getting old...then again I'll be installing some better canopy locks soon.