PDA

View Full Version : Twin Motor/Single ESC Review

RayR
04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Recently, I had the opportunity to test a new twin brushless motor controller. A 240 amp/120amp per motor controller with a built in 3.5 amp BEC from FighterCat Racing. Yes, a single controller feeding 2 motors. Well sort of, it’s 2 FET boards controlled by one brain. Amazingly small. See the pics!

For those of you that have assembled a twin boat, you know what a PITA all of the wiring is like. This controller removes most of the headaches, feeding both motors with parallel packs and less worry about one side turning more RPM’s than the other.

I tested it this past weekend in my twin Genesis running a pair of 3126 Suppo 2200kV Outrunners on 4S2P turning a pair of tweaked counter rotate 442’s. The boat runs in the 50’s.

This thing is FANTASTIC!

It’s not a barn burner at 120 amps per side, but a 50+ MPH twin boat without all the wiring headaches is sure nice in my book!

longballlumber
04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
No Water cooling Ray?

Later,
Mike

RayR
04-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Cooling to the ESC, no cooling to the motors. I have tested the motor mount cooling plates for outrunners with very little benefit to motor temps.

longballlumber
04-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Oh... Yep.... My Bad, I see the cooling tubes for the controller.

sailr
05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Ray,
Do you remember several years ago I was working with an ESC manufacturer to do just that? He said it could be done, just the way that FC's esc does it. He just had so much on his plate at the time
that neither he nor I ever pursued it. I knew it could be done! Good for FC for making it happen. I'm really curious if FC is using the same manufacturer that I was working with previously. Haha. I'm
sure he'd never tell me.

h2o 1
01-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Hi there:tiphat: Are you still running this ESC? Also,have you experienced any problems so far? Thanks for any feedback. Mark

RayR
01-22-2013, 03:40 AM
Haven't run that boat in a little while, but all was fine when I put it up. The only issue I encountered was it has a very fragile BEC circuit. I use a seperate reciever pack to power the radio.

properchopper
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Ray,

Glad to finally see a twin hooked up and doing it's job. I have a new one going up for sale in the "for sale" area and would like to reference your post as a testimoneal since I never used one. Hope you don't mind :tiphat:

Tony