PDA

View Full Version : Balance question

TWCFI
04-29-2012, 10:48 PM
I am new to RC electric boats (been at the RC stuff for about 30 years) and have a Proboat Mini C that I am trying to balance. I have read that it should balance about 4" from the transom. The problem is I can not move the battery back far enough to get it to balance anywhere close to that.

So my question is do I add weight to get it to balance out?

In the near future, as the parts are in the mail, this boat will get a brushless setup with an offset rudder, flex drive, and all the bits that go with it. So I would really like to get the balance right so I can get the proper performance from it.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bob

larryrose11
07-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Im not sure where ya read the 4 inch from the transom thing.
Here is a vid from one of own (I think)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUerVymJ_mw
Diegoboy, is this your boat?
Anyway, you can see their setup in the vid

Fluid
07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
With the CG 4" ahead of the transom you are at 29% - which is pretty standard for RTR catamarans. This value will change depending on the weight and speed of the boat, the much-faster-than-stock boat in the video certainly uses a higher CG percentage, but the exact value will vary. Does the boat run well now with the pack as far back as you can get it?

graill
07-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I am new to RC electric boats (been at the RC stuff for about 30 years) and have a Proboat Mini C that I am trying to balance. I have read that it should balance about 4" from the transom. The problem is I can not move the battery back far enough to get it to balance anywhere close to that.

So my question is do I add weight to get it to balance out?

In the near future, as the parts are in the mail, this boat will get a brushless setup with an offset rudder, flex drive, and all the bits that go with it. So I would really like to get the balance right so I can get the proper performance from it.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bob

Hi Bob,

The main thing you need to realize is that no two boats will run the same way, or setup the same way, not even if they are built by the same person, each would still need to be trimmed to individual taste and performance, this is a simple fact, due to materials, weight of those materials, flaws, etc, a whole host of things. You can get "ballpark" figures from other builds that are similar but in the end you will need to run and test your own rig to get it setup properly. So watch vids, see what you want to emulate and practice trimming your rig to get it where you want in terms of similar performance.

For adding weight if needed try stainless steel shot or non toxic baking weights, and epoxy them onto velcro so they are removeable. The weights are available in various sized sewn bags from 1 ounce to pounds, or available loose, just keyword search and you will find them. Be aware of the rebalancing regimine when you change over all those parts. Also, never permanantly glue in any weights, makes for an unpleasant rebuild, just an fyi.

Also, try not to use lead as a weight, even encapsulated as if you get caught near water you WILL be fined heavily.