PDA

View Full Version : What epoxy for my SV27?

Skeeno
04-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I want to epoxy in some velcro straps in my SV27 to secure my batteries. What is a safe epoxy that will stick to the inside and not hurt the gelcoat? Does heat from the epoxy hurt the gelcoat?

Where is a good place to buy it; Home Depot, Lowe's?

Bill-SOCAL
04-30-2008, 02:15 AM
I use automotive GOOP to glue just about everything to fiberglass hulls. Works great on Velcro too.

ozboater
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
i have used z poxy with good results on my sv... reglassed (with cloth) the sides, inside to remove cracks... strengthened the transom... works well...

Bill-SOCAL
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Agreed, Z-Poxy is great for sealing and glassing. Goop is superb for sticking velcro in and gluing in wood for new battery trays, etc.

G Doggett
04-30-2008, 04:03 PM
For Velcro straps I use medium CA, just be careful you don't wind up with your fingers stuck inside your boat.
Graham.

SweetAccord
04-30-2008, 07:24 PM
This is what I have used for the velcro battery straps:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-pt39

I would have to destroy the hull to remove them once cured! It dries clear and hard, you just need to apply it somewhat quickly. Once dried you can't tell the difference from where the coating in the hull is and where you added some of the Z-Poxy. It looks completely factory and it's strong!

Skeeno
04-30-2008, 09:53 PM
What ind of heat does that put off? Does heat hurt the gelcoat?

SweetAccord
05-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Seeno,

No heat, it's like an epoxy really. It will not by any means hurt the gel-coat in any way.

avengersteve
05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
DEVCON is what i have found to be the best for the water. will hold anything and not fall apart when and if water hits it

mtgoat
05-02-2008, 08:41 AM
The only time you really need to worry about heat from epoxy is when it's laid on very thick, such as when you're filling in an area. A thin coat used for bonding two flat surfaces or a thin clear coat should be no problem.

A good website that describes properties and uses of epoxies is west system (http://www.westsystem.com/). look for the link that says "Using WEST SYSTEM Epoxy". The info is applicable to most epoxies, not just their brand.

- Dave.

Skeeno
05-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Looks like Automotive Goop is what I'll use. I'll stop by Kragen/Pep Boys and see if I can pick some up.

Electro
11-28-2008, 10:21 AM
The best Expoxy i have had was the Z poxy 5 minute cure, i coated all the wooden pieces with it and all my straps and they are the best.