PDA

View Full Version : JAE mini sprint

Chuck E Cheese
04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
ok, since im a mini/micro fan i had to do it. got the kit pre-built and set up stock 2s with all the parts from joe (zippkitts). havent run it yet but here are my first imperssions: not to talk trash because the price was right, but the pre-build wasnt that great. there were plenty of gaps, the sanding necessary on the overhangs burnt through the sealing resin, the stuffing tube was about 1/4 inch too far back (flex barley reached the coupler and prop was too far back)... otherwise the pre-build saved alot of work and was well worth what it cost. a few quick mods and it was good as any. i have built about 6-7 jae kits and i would no doubt buy pre-built again.
assembly was quick, it took me about 45 minutes to get it assembled after paint. this thing was super easy to build. as all zipp products this thing looks to be great quality, was super cheap and i expect it to preform well. i am going to run it today with the stock plastic props cuz i dont have time to s/b the others. i will post my results shortly..

Chuck E Cheese
04-21-2012, 04:22 PM
ok, this thing needs some work. handles great, just seems slow! i see prop work and a good battery in the future. i tried both the 30 and 32mm stock props and turnigy 2200 2s. not impressed at all. i have had scratch built micro riggers that would run circles around this thing (pretty sure a stock renegade would too). the good news is i went to the pond with nothing but my transmitter and props and everything worked good. no need tools, interior had not a drop of water in it. next week one of the other guys is going to bring his so i can see what the bench mark is suposed to be. everybody but me seemed to think it was running good. pretty sure if i can get some more lift out of the prop and maybee cut down the rudder to reduce drag i can get a few more mph. what i do notice about this kit is that it is heavy for a mini..... overall i see potential but i need to get some more speed. i guess i shouldnt complain about a $15 motor being slow.....
more to come.......

pescador
04-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Try the 5 pole motor at Zipp (http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=359) on 3s it really wakes it up. I've only used the plastic props but I found a set of 5 different sizes on ebay for cheap.
I have a short video of it on 3s, sorry hard to get good camera men.

http://youtu.be/f5h4RRqd2aM

Chuck E Cheese
04-24-2012, 07:51 AM
will do... i was even thinking of trying the 4 wind on 3s with a small prop..

longballlumber
04-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I am still trying to figure out how you guys are cramming in 3S packs and the controller... I can't seem to get it packaged in there with out using 2S packs...

Later,
mike

martin
04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Heres mine with a Mystery 2836 - 3800kv with 60 amp watercooled esc on 3s 60c & Octura x435 detongued & back cut. I have raised the tub deck up around 1/2" so i can get 2200mah 4s in the future if i require.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOUlQEGC8lg

martin
04-24-2012, 12:22 PM
If you intend pushing the speeds on the Mini Sprint theirs a few things you need to mod, add an alloy bracket to the rudder or you will tear the wooden tub side of in turns (ask me how i know). Bolt the turn fin through the dowl or fit inserts & add an alloy doubler above the water line on the fin or youll bend the fin & tear the screws out. Also be carefull with the 3/16" hollow boom tubes, i fitted larger ones.

martin
04-24-2012, 02:42 PM
I also tried the stock plastic prop & tore a blade off as soon as i went wot.

pescador
04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I am still trying to figure out how you guys are cramming in 3S packs and the controller... I can't seem to get it packaged in there with out using 2S packs...

Later,
mike
I have a Nanotech 3s 2200mah pack with the esc sitting right on top of it, it's tight but it fits the stock tub.

pescador
04-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I also tried the stock plastic prop & tore a blade off as soon as i went wot.
I didn't throw a blade but I had to re-solder the stub shaft to the flex after I launched a little too hard on the first 3s run. :laugh:

martin
04-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I didnt use the flex & stub that came with the boat as i used ball bearings on my stub, but when i undone the original flex & stub as i wanted the flex only for another boat it came undone very easy. More so than when i undo flexes with heat that are loctited, it looked more like it was bonded with an epoxy or something simular. It def wasnt Loctite, ive heard of others thats had the joint fail on these.