PDA

View Full Version : mounting alum motor mounts

Chuck E Cheese
04-17-2012, 01:33 PM
how are you guys mounting the alum rails for the leopard motor mounts to the hull. i have always been a big fan of glassing the rails to the hull but glass (or epoxy) doesnt stick to metal... just curious, i am mounting a 5692 and need a good bond to the hull.
thanks

madmorgan
04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
i think if you drill some small 1/16 holes into them side rails you will be able to glass em in. someone else with more boat knowledge might have better solution though.

JIM MARCUM
04-17-2012, 08:57 PM
One way is to screw On a aluminum 1/2" "L" on the inside of the mount (it's too pretty to cover up the RC BOAT BITZ), drill a row of 1/8" holes along the angle, and epoxy it in place with 1" fiberglass tape. Scruf up the aluminum angle and deck with coarse sandpaper & wipe everything down with acetone. But you gotta be sure the stuffing tube is perfectly aligned with the motor shaft as you epoxy it in.

Crude dwg below. JIM

Make-a-Wake
04-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Most mounts have the pre-drilled holes for the epoxy to flow thru for a nice bond............you'll just need to drill them

m4a1usr
04-17-2012, 09:03 PM
I saw those Aussie made mounts and considered how to attach them myself. My initial idea was to rough up the inside edge and use what ever angle adapter that would fit. Could be something flexible like carbon fiber or just a section of thick FG. In in a flat bottom hydro/ cat it wouldnt involve angle adaption material. The rails look thick enough to use small screws so if your good with sheet metal bending it would be a snap. Those mounts are very well priced!

John

detox
04-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I would drill holes then scuff with course 60 grit paper. I good strong and flexible epoxy is a must. I like the cheaper priced RAKA 350 hardener and 127 resin thickened with fumed silica for strong mounting. This same epoxy "unthickened" makes a verygood finishing and building epoxy also. Thickened with Microballoons makes a easy to sand filler. Takes atleast 24hrs to cure and about 3 days for full cure.
Measure using the Great Plains epoxy mixing cups #GPMR8056
http://www.raka.com/
http://store.raka.com/11/2quartepoxykit.aspx

Chuck E Cheese
04-17-2012, 11:03 PM
ok, thanks...... i will toss around all that advice and see what sticks!

drwayne
04-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Gday
Joe and www.RCBOATBITZ.com.au are 20min drive from my desk.
He had his Co name cut out to use those openings for epoxy
He's chuffed you think that is good bling ! :smile:

Assembling a 56" CF Genesis for him next week.
Exact same hull as FC Daytona60.. same molds in same TFL factory.!
For 900US these arrive 'bling complete' with good spec hardware (arneson drives+1/4-3/16 flex, rudder, eng mounts, batt trays, pickups etc ), Gel + genesis decal sets.. needs a few bolts and elec's and away it goes.
Look for a 'quick' build thread here soon 2x 5692/730Kv on 12S.

Great to find an FE store just around the corner. :happy:
W