PDA

View Full Version : Impulse 31 Flex shaft corkscrewing

bluznbeers
04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
As you can see from the title I have had some bad luck with flex shafts in my Impulse. I corkscrewed one with the original power plant and now 2 more with a 2000kv motor. All three times I was using a sharpened and balanced 42x55 prop and a 4cell setup. I ensured that the motor was lined up perfectly with the stuffing tube as Steve suggested in a previous post but the new shaft today didn't even last a full run. The shaft was well greased and moving freely. The new power plant is only running at 37 mph (slightly better than stock) so I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyone got any suggestions?

RIPFENCE
04-01-2012, 08:19 PM
you are positive you are using the correct rotation cable? just asking the obvious first thing to check on..also how much cable is showing between your flex collet and the entrance to your stuffing tube? ther should be very little cable showing any pics?

bluznbeers
04-01-2012, 08:26 PM
OSE proboat flex cable. PRB 4258.
About 1/4 inch of flex shaft showing (I measured it )
Can you confirm is there supposed to be some sort of sleeve at the end of the stuffing tube near the motor?
Thx for taking the time to answer BTW. Appreciated it.

JimClark
04-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Or that the motor is turning the correct direction

bluznbeers
04-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Well it was going forwards at the time. :smile:

bluznbeers
04-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Still looking at this problem while Im waiting for my new flex cable to arrive. Does anyone know if you can pull the stuffing tueb for inspection without damaging the boat?

Steven Vaccaro
04-06-2012, 03:41 PM
The bushings are also causing binding in some boats. So look there.

bluznbeers
04-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Will do

bluznbeers
04-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Bushing looks great, and the shaft spins freely, I did however hear a high pitched squeal before the last flexshaft let go. (This morning for number 4 :mad:)
I think the problem may be in the stuffing tube so I pulled the whole flooded well and took it apart and yeah the stuffing tube looked petty rough and the flood tube had a huge crack in it - cut myself a new flood tube now I have to get it all epoxied together and find a stuffing tube. Sigh.