PDA

View Full Version : Motley crew gold aluminum cooling jacket

silvermansteve
03-30-2012, 11:06 AM
greetings. i suggest thinking twice about getting one of these motley crew cooling jackets. i just got one from steve here, and i am discarding it and orderig one of the good ose aluminum ones, like i have usedbefore. i think that, if you want to install a jacket while the motor is already in the boat, you should not get this. i could not install it any way, in or out; the o rings kept squezing out or popping in. i think, at least when the motor is off the mount, you can go from the other side and miss the little screws on the can that might be in the way.

anyway it made me very unhappy. it is not the same thing as steve's, but for only six dollars. i should have known, it sounded too good. i'm sure, however that other people have had success. if so, i'd like to hear how you finally did it.

properchopper
03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Steven, you're not alone in experiencing this problem.(There's been a thread a while ago discussing this expressing similar frustrations). I've used a few of them; some were just impossible to get on without fragging the o-rings and one slid on just fine. I'm speculating that production tolerances in the depth of the o-ring groove is the culprit. Another problm that was pointed out, and I personally found to be true is that the grub screws used to block off the unused passages leak. Armed with a supply of spare o-rings and some sealant, I've made them work, and at their price they seem to be a reasonable piece of gear once they are fiddled with. I'll admit that the first time I tried to install a "bad" one my vocabulary of obscene phrases was well excercised :frusty:

As far as getting the one you have to work, what I've done to use a "bad" one is to remove the motor, get the jacket on in the desired orientation with the o-ring not fully in place, then seal the whole deal with something like the pictured goo ( auto parts store has it), seal all the plugs, and git 'er done. Won't look too pretty, but whatever...

Steven Vaccaro
03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Steve send it back to me, I can return it and get you a refund. they seem to be hit and miss.

silvermansteve
04-01-2012, 09:17 AM
thanks Steve, I might do that but it's not a big deal. needless to say, i have no issue at all with ose; i'd gladly order from you again anytime. i ordered the good cooler and a prop from you this weekend, in fact.

silvermansteve
04-01-2012, 09:18 AM
thanks properchopper....

hobbimaster
04-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I had the same issues adding one of these jackets to a Supervee 27r. Its best to take the motor out and use grease on the o-rings and motor. This allowed me to move the jacket back and forth to make the o-ring seat themselves. Blowing air through the jacket helps to confirm its sealed up at the o-rings and plugs.

Grimracer
04-16-2012, 02:51 PM
The trick (yea.. I know, there is a trick).. is to soap and water wash the jacket and orings.. get all or any oil off the parts.

With the motor out of the boat..

Grease ONLY the motor can.. NOT THE O RINGS OR THE COOLING JACKET.. thats important.

Slip, slide and sealed!

Grim

xlandguy
05-11-2012, 09:18 AM
I had a badly installed jacket on my motor. Filled my hatch compartment full of water and I almost had a run away due to the reciever being under water! Following the instructions from GR I did manage to get it to seal. I soaked the gasket in hot water as it was mishapen due to being pinched when installed at the factory.(this was my own idea, the hot water) Seems the hot water let it get back in shape well enough to work. Took several tries, re-washing and re-oiling, well, I didnt use oil I used hand washing liquid soap. It is sealed up now.

Basstronics
08-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Aquacraft should REALLY include this information with the cooler.

They sent me a replacement as I couldnt get mine on.

I typically clean the can and use WD-40. I followed the advice here (relayed via email from Adam W) and presto.

I havent spec'ed the can I had issue with. I can say it shows tool chatter all over it. So maybe the quality control didnt catch it (I assume they spot check 1 in so many parts) and the machine operator was to lazy to change his carbide...