PDA

View Full Version : Melting battery lead solder connections

bizzle
04-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I am currently running a CF48 prop and the last two times out i have melted solder at the deans plug. The first time i was using DTX 3800s and was blasting full throttle pretty much the whole run when i brought her in and as i went to unplug the negative wire came loose the batteries were almost hot but nowhere near as hot as the plug. I am pretty sure the second time it was justa delayed result of the first run. the motor and esc dont seem to be getting too hot. Is the CF48 just drawing too much power and overheating the batteries?:confused2:

ice329
04-23-2008, 05:48 PM
A deans should not melt..maybe a bad connection/solder joint would do it, but to answer your question I think the CF48 is to much for the SV, there are much better choices. For the money a CF45, spend a little more and go for a M445 or X642. There are others but those two I can say work very nice in the boats. G/L

JimClark
04-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Sounds like a little prop education is needed

bizzle
04-23-2008, 08:13 PM
thanks for the response, ill swap back to the CF45 for now. when i got back into boats this spring, i dove in head first so the CF props were a very economical way to get better performance.... i bought the SV while gathering parts for my old kyosho jet arrow. than a new charger cause the old one crapped out, 4-DTX 3800s 2-EP 4500s and a few cheapie batts for the ebay jetsprint knockoffs which i have two of. one w/ ammo 20-40-4850kv which is wayy too much motor w/ a mamba 25 esc the other w/ a helimax mx400 2580kv w/ mamba 25, and now a brushless blackjack, I got myself in deep but its all worth the enjoyment these little boats bring. I could definatly use a little prop knowledge...

motoxbob11
04-23-2008, 08:41 PM
If you have all that stuff take ice329's advice and get some metal props and a balancer and a file! Run the cf45 but make sure the boat is not running to wet. A Grim Racer 42x55 prop is another good option.
That bad solder joint actually may have saved you a worse meltdown!