PDA

View Full Version : No telemetry for RC boats ?

RCKong
03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
I've been curios about telemetry for boats, and if it works... Seems too me that it would be really beneficial and I'm surprised that nobody In FE boating has addressed this issue. I lost a SF 200 controller a couple of weeks ago, and I'm pissed. I was setting up a SC 40 running a CC 1717 going from a X450 (everything temped less than 100* @ 3 min)I went to a X452 to get more speed, and it did not make 2 laps and let out smoke...If I could detected an overheating problem, I could save my ESC. Are telemetry receivers being kept from us so we can burn up and buy more parts ? I think it is a reasonable question.
?:spy:

RCK

oscarel
03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Eagletree Seagull works but its expensive. Frisky sells a system that's not soon expensive but they don't have an amp sensor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

jkr
03-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Also this German company that uses a data logger for telemetry and i found a 400A sensor.
http://www.sm-modellbau.de/shop/

It isn't so cheap but you can build it your way.

RCKong
03-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Well I think we have good people in FE boating like Darrin Jordan, Brian Bauss, Grimm, and others (I hope they get involved) that have enough input with the manufacturers to revolutionize RC boating with out of the box telemetry.

Diesel6401
03-28-2012, 08:27 PM
The eagletree system I believe is less then the cost of 1 spektrum telemetry rx. I did use my sr3300t rx in my miss geico for a while and was very nice to have. All I did was waterproof my rx and build a seperate rx mount on the side of the hull to allow the short antenna could exit the hull. Didn't take long. It wouldn't be much effort on spektrums part to convert the sr3300t to mr series. Coat it and extend the antenna and done. I did find that when my boat was far away on the back stretch the telemetry would loss signal then reconnenct when closer.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

NativePaul
03-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Datalogging is MUCH more useful to me than telemetry, so much so that I see it as a gimmick. With the size of the lakes I race/run on and the speed of most of my boats if I looked down for a second to read a display I would probably have crashed. Even if I had a huge obstacle free lake that would allow me to take my eyes off the boat for seconds at a time, I would still only be seeing brief snapshots of the info, from my logs I have seen that amp draw can vary from 50A-150A and back to 50A in under a second all while at full throttle, so those few glimpses may be telling you misinformation.

Diesel6401
03-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I agree the data-logging provides much better information, I love my eagletree and its something every boater should have inmho. To the OP hifei now has a swordfish 200 plus with built in data logging!

To prevent the need to look down at my radio to catch a glimpse of the temps I just programmed the max temp alarm so that when it reaches that number the radio will alert.

RCKong
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
nice idea ! I agree looking down while your racin aint cool...

Insaniac
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Get yourself one of these radios. It has two temp and one rpm sensor input PLUS data logging whereby you can set the logging interval to anything you want...all for about 200 bucks!

oscarel
03-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Get yourself one of these radios. It has two temp and one rpm sensor input PLUS data logging whereby you can set the logging interval to anything you want...all for about 200 bucks!

Nice but I didn't see where it would record/report amp reading which is crucial.

runzwithsizorz
03-29-2012, 12:21 AM
The eagletree system I believe is less then the cost of 1 spektrum telemetry rx. I did use my sr3300t rx in my miss geico for a while and was very nice to have. All I did was waterproof my rx and build a seperate rx mount on the side of the hull to allow the short antenna could exit the hull. Didn't take long. It wouldn't be much effort on spektrums part to convert the sr3300t to mr series. Coat it and extend the antenna and done. I did find that when my boat was far away on the back stretch the telemetry would loss signal then reconnenct when closer.

I truly believe that Spektrum will one day come out with a marine rx with telemetry. Until then------------------

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9350100/anchors_9350100/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9350100

http://losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOS_SPMSR3300T_ant_length_notice.pdf

coolmind
03-29-2012, 03:21 AM
This is also a very good data logger.
http://www.hyperion-eu.com/products/product/HP-EM2-RDU

RCKong
03-29-2012, 08:35 AM

what radio is this ?

oscarel
03-29-2012, 08:50 AM
This looks like what he was referring to. http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/airtronics-mt-4-pistol-grip-radio-2-4g-w-telemetry.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

RCKong
03-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Thats a nice setup. I have three tactic radios I use for 9 or 10 boats that I run, and it's a pain in the arse. I've been waiting for a decent radio like this. dual heat sensors will be great for setting up race boats. Logging is good too. I have several CC ESC's with built in logging, but they can't tell you whats going on under the hood of a new boat yur setting up in real time.

Insaniac
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
This is cool too...comes in 90, 120 and 200A versions!

"The logger will record current, pack voltage, RPM, ESC Temperature and throttle position at intervals of between once a second down to 30 times per second. at 30 times per second approx 2.5 minutes data can be collected. at 10 times per second approx 6.8 minutes data can be collected. Data can be accessed from the program box or USB link."

Diesel6401
03-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Yup those swordy plus's look awesome. Hifei also has the air version with built in data logging I've been wanting to try, hard to give up my hobbywing esc's though in all my planes... the throttle control is just so smooth! That's one of biggest differences between the hifei and hobbywing esc's is the throttle sensitivity of a hobbywing is better imho... maybe in air esc's maybe more on par ill have to try I guess to compare.
Never owned a airtronics radio (huge spektrum fan here), but that looks sweet! I really like the temp 1 and temp 2 readings. Very nice radio. I'm set with my dx3s, but that radio is sexy!

EricSchlaifer
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM

I was just thinking about doing the same thing myself. The short antenna is mostly what had me worried. I wouldn't mind dropping telemetry here and there. Did the sr3300t work well otherwise? No glitching and the like? I've found it to be less than great in my TC cars and stick with the DSM2 receivers there.

graill
05-31-2012, 06:08 PM
I've been curios about telemetry for boats, and if it works... Seems too me that it would be really beneficial and I'm surprised that nobody In FE boating has addressed this issue. I lost a SF 200 controller a couple of weeks ago, and I'm pissed. I was setting up a SC 40 running a CC 1717 going from a X450 (everything temped less than 100* @ 3 min)I went to a X452 to get more speed, and it did not make 2 laps and let out smoke...If I could detected an overheating problem, I could save my ESC. Are telemetry receivers being kept from us so we can burn up and buy more parts ? I think it is a reasonable question.
?:spy:

RCK

We have reccomended telemetry systems a number of times over the years. What racers never reccomend is telling people up front new to FE racing is that a basic electrical class or two under their belts and education on electrical motor theory will help prevent if not stop (both burning boats and questions). People seldom if ever do this and instead copy "what is currently working" with a particular setup and then wonder how their boat burned up never understanding the why and wasting money.

I get emails all the time with folks asking for setups, i refuse to give them that and instead politely start asking about their electrical education and toss a few questions in that regards their way, i seldom if ever get a reply back. Those that want education continue to correspond. Some think i am an ass because i wont give setups or reccomendations or "just answer the damn question" as i have gotten a couple time *chuckle*. Well the bottom line is you cant, no one can, people can "ballpark" a setup but each one is different and will react differently, something no one new to FE seemingly wants to be told. My dollar and two cents adjusted for inflation.

jcald2000
06-01-2012, 08:03 AM
#1 Rule, Never run a system at its Max.
#2 rule, Know what the system is doing. Eagletree for for the last 10 years for me.
Telemetry won't save your system, you can't look at it and drive.
2 laps, look at datalogger, change something, 2 laps, look at datalogger.
As you have discovered Temps after the run don't really help.

siberianhusky
06-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Tried telemetry, then bought an eagletree.
The spektrum telemetry is useless, to limited. Plus I found I had a very brief window to try and look at what was happening due to the pitiful range. Plus it really doesn't tell you what you really need to know which is amp draw. I don't even bother with temp sensors anymore, the amperage is where the real info is. Because we all know current = heat. If the current is in an acceptable range then the temps will be fine.
One lap with an eagletree logging just amperage and voltage can tell you more about what is really happening than an entire run just knowing the temps & rpm from telemetry.
The one nice thing about the Eagletree over the ESC loggers is that you only need one, simple to move from boat to boat. Depends on how many boats you have though! Would break me replacing all my escs with logging versions. In my instance a stand alone logger was cheaper. For 1 or 2 boats I probably would have just upgraded to a logging esc.

drwayne
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Swordfish/HIFEI have loggers available on all their
90. 120 . 200. 240 & 300A range of esc.

Will post reports on the HV 240+300 in a few weeks.

www.rcboatbitz.com.au

W

runzwithsizorz
06-01-2012, 11:06 AM

The Eagletree, *LIVE SYSTEM*, costs around $180, and I'm unsure if it will monitor the RX voltage(?). Since I'm running the RX, 1/4 scale servo, a switching module, 2 light controllers, and 24 Led's, it's a good thing to know.
Spektrums telemetry RX came with my TX, otherwise sells for around $95. If I have changed my set-up, or prop, I'll run for about a minute, bring the boat to a stop, or nearly, and check the temp. If it's ok, I continue running,
rinse, and repeat. Will I one day own an Eagletree system so I can look at pretty graphs on my lap top?, OF COARSE!!! But for now, I'm a happy camper just having my boat come back to shore with reasonable temps.
Guess I'm just a cheap date.

properchopper
06-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Telemetry does interest me (although my fleet has 9 raceboats so rigging them all with senders isn't even a thought) and while logging gives the best setup data, once something like this http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2012/04/0409_recon2_660.jpg gets integrated into a full telemetry setup, We'd have something to keep an eye on (ok, pun intended) the internal goings-on in real-time :wink:

Gary Cape Town
08-15-2012, 01:39 PM
What type of Spektrum telemery is being used that you can't see the battery current?
Is it Spektrum's STi telemetry system?
This telemetry system will show you receiver voltage, battery pack voltage, RPM, temperature, G-force, altitude, ect. It will transmit its data to an Iphone or Ipad, where you are able to set up you complete telemetry system. You can also set the sytem to tell you (speach) what is happening while you are riding, so that you don't have to take your eyes off your model. The sytem also has a built in logging feature..... so wish that more guys would try it out.

urbs00007
08-02-2013, 02:23 PM
did you use this system with voice ? any problems?

Fluid
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Wow, another year-old thread where the poster being asked a question hasn't even logged in to OSE for 7 months.....

SloHD
08-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Wow, another year-old thread where the poster being asked a question hasn't even logged in to OSE for 7 months.....

Well he might possibly get the email and login. Lol

ozzie-crawl
08-02-2013, 05:45 PM
For those that have not seen it here is what the swordfish esc data logging shows (it actually shows more but this is just 1 screen)

ReddyWatts
08-02-2013, 06:57 PM
IMO, telemetry would be great, if you could set audible tone alarms for amp, temp and low voltage limits. It would be a valuable tool for new setups. No need to watch a display.

urbs00007
08-03-2013, 12:53 AM
exactly. what good is data-logging after you smoke a $300 esc. they have telemetry that talks to you . how much sense does that make? wouldnt you like to know how much voltage your batteries have and temps of esc and motor and speed? just started researching whats out there and will buy when satisfied .

Peter A
08-03-2013, 03:36 AM
Hmmm... here's my thing, to my knowledge there is a lack (outer space emptiness) of fe boating tech in NZ. Any thing available is waaaay overpriced! I do see the value of data loggers, I'm sure it would be helpful. Oh yeah zero budget doesn't help me either.:sad: What I do for now is test my boats by running 7 laps and check temps and Mah put back in batts. This tells me if i can run a race without destroying my gear. So far this is working. Well the occaisional meltdown (connectors etc) but nothing too serious so far. Much kudos to those with the knowledge and experience above ours.:tiphat:

torqeroll
08-03-2013, 08:05 AM
This is also a very good data logger.
http://www.hyperion-eu.com/products/product/HP-EM2-RDU

Oh I like hyperion stuff , always had good luck with there motors ,, but I cant find what peak amps it will read ???

runzwithsizorz
08-03-2013, 09:25 AM
IMO, telemetry would be great, if you could set audible tone alarms for amp, temp and low voltage limits. It would be a valuable tool for new setups. No need to watch a display.
If you already have the Eagletree system, as I do, then the next thing to purchase would be the Seagull dashboard, as I will. ($200)
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Boat/boat.html

RCKong
08-03-2013, 11:11 AM
FYI Fluid, I have not seen anyone post on this thread until recently,and I visit our club pages frequently. I was injured and have not been able to run a boat since last year.
I did get the Airtronics MT-4 telemetry system and it seems to work well in boats. I used it a few times last year and was learning to operate it. Data logging works good too. I modded some CC ICE II 120's with water cooling and they work great.

Mike Caruso
08-03-2013, 01:15 PM
If you already have the Eagletree system, as I do, then the next thing to purchase would be the Seagull dashboard, as I will. ($200)
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Boat/boat.html

2nd

MrEvoMan
08-04-2013, 08:54 AM

The new Airtronics MT-4 radio does this. The only thing it doesn't do, which I miss greatly, is monitor the voltage of the packs - it monitors the voltage of the receiver power instead which isn't all that useful.

But I'll be using it for monitoring temps of my motors. Datalogging is great - but if you have an issue you won't know until it's already blown up and you're reviewing the data as to why. I want to be able to set alarms to fore-warn me of problems, which the MT-4 can do.

jkr
08-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Is there any way to get live data from castle escs?

As far as i know they have good logging system.

urbs00007
08-04-2013, 11:27 AM
eagletree has live telemetry but very expensive

urbs00007
08-04-2013, 11:33 AM
fairly new to electric, but it occured to me that high amps cause raised temps so wouldnt monitoring esc , motor, and batteries temps be enough with a telemetry system?

urbs00007
08-06-2013, 02:22 PM
airtronics has a 200 amp sensor , but 'm running seaking 180 esc and 6-s could pull more than 200 amps, so this sensor wont work, would temp sensor be good enough to prevent frying lectronics?

gb tiggycat
08-06-2013, 02:36 PM
If you have a set up that could pull 200+ amps, wouldn't it be more sensible to spend the dollars on a more appropriately rated ESC, than telemetry that tells you that you are just about to fry your 180A rated item?

urbs00007
08-07-2013, 12:30 AM
the forum recommended the seaking 180 for my outrigger leopard 4082 1600 kv on 6-s. was I wrong to follow their advice?

gb tiggycat
08-07-2013, 05:31 AM
If you believe that your set up could pull more than 180A, then yes you were unwise to go with an ESC rated at that. With all these set ups, you really need to give yourself a bit of headroom to allow for all eventualities.

Also, the advice given on the forum, while borne of the huge experience of the contributors, has to be taken with consideration. As no two setups will be absolutely the same (if only due to differences in supposed "identical" ESC's motors etc) the advice gives a ball park starting point for you to consider. If the forum members think that your setup would run at less than 180A at 6s, then the t180 is a great value and reliable ESC. I have one myself. If, however, for whatever reason you believe that your setup will go beyond 180A (which is in itself advice from the maker as to its limits) then surely it is sensible to fit an ESC with a higher capacity or you are simply asking to burn up your setup.

Diesel6401
09-12-2013, 08:52 PM
the forum recommended the seaking 180 for my outrigger leopard 4082 1600 kv on 6-s. was I wrong to follow their advice?

Depends on the prop, but shouldn't be an issue IMHO. I personally don't like running escs to their Max voltage, but amp wise should be fine. Those escs are pretty darn tough.

Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk