PDA

View Full Version : New Charger Opinion?

SweetAccord
04-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Greetings,

I am interested in looking into getting a new charger. I would like that it does the most for the bang for the buck and stay under $150.00 and do all battery types. Most already from what I read say the Hyperion Hyperion (HP-EOS0606i what I'm looking at) are the best, but in reviewing it's features, it lacks a lot of what the Tritin2 has, cycling, time delays, etc.

Is the Hyperion really better? How so feature wise? I know you can update via software and that is nice and has a built in power supply, but is it just a more costly unit cause of the build quality but has less features? I also noticed that the Multiplex LN-5014 Multi Charger is a lot like the Hyperion in what it can accomplish and it's less as no power supply as the Tritin2-that is already clear. Also the Integy INDI 16x705 Multifunction All-In-One Charger comes into mind.

Any opinions which is truly better feature/capable wise as I'm cut between these four chargers.

Thank you in advance!

D. Newland
04-23-2008, 04:57 PM
I have favored the Hyperions, but that's just me. The main reason being is that's the brand of charger most of my friends and fellow racers are using...Help and support are just a table away if I need it! They're also very good units. Maybe not the bells/whistles of other brands, but you'll just have to weigh the importance of those features with your needs.

Is there anyone you run with locally? If so, what's their flavor?

Flying Scotsman
04-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Dave's comments are very valid. Just make sure that the unit you purchase has LI-PO safety measures...will not charge when it sees wrong values etc.

Douggie

SweetAccord
04-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Thank you. I'm looking for a full featured charger. I guess the Triton does a lot of what the Hyperion does not. Guess I'm looking to find out from someones experience, do I really need all the features of a Triton or will the Hyperion be able to achieve the same results with a NIMH for example or any of the battery types?

motoxbob11
04-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I can only speak about my Hyperion 606i and it has every feature I want and it really functions perfect. I just want a charger to charge properly and this one does nimh and lipo perfectly. Won't let you screw up a lipo charge by setting it incorrectly and it barely gets warm during use. Less expensive chargers get HOT, which leads to failure. It also balance charges with built in balancer. One bad point is it won't charge a 4s pack at the rate I would want so it takes a bit longer. 2s packs are no problem.

SweetAccord
04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
So with the Hyperion, when using with NIMH's you can't cycle or set a cut off voltage etc. can you?

motoxbob11
04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes you can cycle nimh batteries with the 606i charger if you want to. That would be really more important for nicd but not too many of those around anymore. I have never used that function with my nimh batteries but it is there on this charger.

NorthernBoater
04-23-2008, 09:22 PM
What kind kind batteries do you plan on using? What voltage and what capacity are your batteries? I would base your decision off of that.

SweetAccord
04-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Ok fair question, I have NIMH's that are from 3600 to IB4200 and Trinity EastPower 4600's.

NorthernBoater
04-23-2008, 11:29 PM
If you have no plans to eventually use LiPos I would recommend either the DuraTrax IntelliPeak Ice or the Triton 2. If you think you may use LiPo I would recommend the HP-EOS0610i as it has a balancer built into it.

SweetAccord
04-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Thank you all for your input, it's appreciated!

SweetAccord
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Well finally I made a decision, as I was cut between the Triton2 as it has all the features one could need, but after researching message boards for a week 8 hours a day, and reading too many issues I decided even though it's the best bang for the buck (which it is!) to invest in an e-station.

I just could not find find anything that the e-station can't do, or has had any complaints or recalls, or issues in charging accuracy. They are the first company that lead the way to designed the balancing to be internal with a break out board. In addition, most other companies like IMax, iChargey are copying them which tells you something there alone.

I'll let you all know that I think about it if I have any issues. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Flying Scotsman
04-30-2008, 01:36 PM
I have an e-station 301 DX. which has been a great charger for older battery technologies. Li-Po capabilities I do not know. I have apart from that charger , FMA, ICE, and an Integy. Still like to keep the old stuff, as in many cases they were well built.
Douggie

SweetAccord
04-30-2008, 04:46 PM
I have an e-station 301 DX. which has been a great charger for older battery technologies. Li-Po capabilities I do not know. I have apart from that charger , FMA, ICE, and an Integy. Still like to keep the old stuff, as in many cases they were well built.
Douggie

Right, that is the history that I found, they are reliable and very accurate.

SweetAccord
05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Well I got the Bantam. MAN, this thing is SWEET!

EX Con
05-09-2008, 02:29 PM
I really like the often over-looked SuperBrain 977. I think this thing is packed full of capabilities(NiMH, LiPo, dual charging, discharging, adjustable rates), especially for the $100 price tag. I have one now and am waiting for them to come back in stock to get my second one. For what I am doing, it is the bomb!

SweetAccord
05-10-2008, 09:52 PM
EX Con, the SuperBrain 977 was in my early list initially, but I skipped the 977 and moved up to the 989. The 977 was missing some things that I though was nice to have initially and down the road to make it a last charger purchase. I don't know if you have made the purchase yet or if the 989 may be nicer for you. Below are my reasons why I passed on the 977. Some items you may or may not be aware of; or may not be important to you?

1. No battery memory
2. No Temp cut off
3. 8 NiMH max limit is really low-if you still have NiMH's, but great that it's a dual output!
4. No temp. probe
5. No Cycle modes
6. Trickle charge; but not adjustable?
7. 1-3 Lithium only
8. Charge max rate is only 5 amps
9. No 12v source limit cutoff; not big deal if charging at home, but good out on field
10. No Lipo storage capability
11. Not software capable to display battery health, charge and discharge rate
12. No breakout board for the most popular Lipo connection types
13. Can't charge LiFe chemistries
14. Can't do software updates
15. No built in balancer

Also, Orion does not recommend to use an MRC to charge THEIR Lipo batteries.

http://cms.teamorion.com/orion/instructions/ori_fin_li_inst.pdf

I hope that helps you.

Peace~

EX Con
05-11-2008, 02:10 PM
What is different about Orion batteries that they can't be charged on an MRC charger? Please explain...

SweetAccord
05-12-2008, 03:11 PM
What is different about Orion batteries that they can't be charged on an MRC charger? Please explain...

Please see the link above that I posted, that is from Orion. You may want to direct that question to Orion to have them clarify. :confused1:

EX Con
05-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Shew...I should have read that first. You were referring to LiPo's. My heart stopped for a second. I just dropped a pretty big knot on a bunch of Orion NiMH's! I wll look into that, though, before I step up to LiPo's. Thanks...