PDA

View Full Version : strut

flyingjunky
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
My strut came loose today and slid all the way up to the collet. I had to take about 1/2" off of the copper shaft as the collet dented the end. Whats the best way to glue it back???? Also have about an inch of the flex shaft now open between the collet and the shaft. Is that a big deal??? Its the upgraded kintec shaft so its not as flimsy as stock.

longballlumber
03-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Are you talking about the brass stuffing tube that moved? That's what it sounds like. The "strut" is fixed to the transom (back) of the boat.

What you can do is rough up the brass stuffing tube where it enters the hull (battery compartment area) and put some 30min epoxy mixed with some micro balloons right at that joint forming a nice fillet around the stuffing tube.

Later,
Mike

flyingjunky
03-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Are you talking about the brass stuffing tube that moved? That's what it sounds like. The "strut" is fixed to the transom (back) of the boat.

What you can do is rough up the brass stuffing tube where it enters the hull (battery compartment area) and put some 30min epoxy mixed with some micro balloons right at that joint forming a nice fillet around the stuffing tube.

Later,
Mike
My bad, I was refering to the stuffing tube. What about the gap. Do you think thats ok if the flex shaft is out of the stuffing tube about an inch???
Thanks,Eric

longballlumber
03-23-2012, 08:32 AM
an inch gap is more than I like, but you should be OK. Since your stuffing tube moved, you should make sure you still have enough stuffing tube in your strut to support the brass sleeve bearing.

Later,
Mike