PDA

View Full Version : Finding a few extra mph?

alvinm
03-22-2012, 03:06 PM
I have my MC running great with just a prop and adjusting cg. I was wondering though, is there a low budget way I can get a few extra mph? I've read swapping the motor with a UL-1 gives you a little more topend? I don't want to buy another ESC, unless there is cheap ESC/motor combo available. I don't want to go over 50, but I'd like to be in that range.

jeepme
03-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Octura M445 prop should get you in the 46-47mph range.

siberianhusky
03-23-2012, 03:35 AM
Swapping a spec motor for another spec motor will not get you any more speed, you'll have more rpm but will have to swing a smaller prop.
Properly tuned and using the right prop this thing will crack 50 pretty easily on a stock setup. Doesn't like crashing at those speeds but they are fairly easy to attain.
A new SAW record was just set at 67 mph with a spec motor and near stock prop on a 26" cat.
It's all in the setup.

alvinm
03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
I guess I need to go back to work on the setup because I do have the M445 and it ran 44mph, but it was not in perfect glass conditions. I was hoping a slightly hotter motor would do the trick..:confused1:

Fluid
03-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Swapping a spec motor for another spec motor will not get you any more speed, you'll have more rpm but will have to swing a smaller prop.
Putting a UL-1 motor in mine upped the speed by ~3 mph without any tuning (although I was careful about not running too long). Raising the prop would likely have increased the speed a bit more.

A new SAW record was just set at 67 mph with a spec motor and near stock prop on a 26" cat.
Tony used a UL-1 motor and a special, aggressive prop tweaked by a master prop tuner - and a lot of setup tuning on his H&M Drifter - to set the record under perfect water conditions. Too, that's a SAW setup, not one for five minutes of sport running. An interesting side note was that last Fall he couldn't get much over 50 with the same setup and a 'regular' prop. He was ready to quit until he changed to a special prop loaned to him. That upped his speed by well over 10 mph - no other change.

siberianhusky
03-24-2012, 08:26 PM
My fastest has been with a proboat 1800kv motor, and a tweaked prop, will run for about 4 minutes and the temps are fine. The only spec motor I have not tried is the blue can sv27 motor. I didn't have a gps on it then but I was running against the exact same boats the previous run and it was faster. Before that it was 46-48 in race water/trim with other boats on course.
Usually with a stock 60 amp PB or AQ esc.
Tony and I happen to have exactly the same boats, decided over the winter to try mine on 2s with a 4200kv lehner. Need to decide on a high amp esc that will work with 2s.