PDA

View Full Version : Proboat 60a esc- how waterproof?

BHChieftain
03-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi,
I'm planning to use a proboat 60a esc in a scale 1/10 shovelnose hull that cannot be made watertight so the esc needs to be able to survive fairly regular submersions.

The stock esc comes in what looks like a pretty watertight box-- I actually had a fastech that had a similar esc and it did survive at least 1 full submersion without a problem.

Should I further treat the esc or is it waterproof enough as is? I could either dip it, or put it into yet another watertight box... Or is that overkill...

Chief

Darin Jordan
03-21-2012, 10:26 AM
I can't say it's 100% water-proof... nothing really is.

However, it's about as "water-resistant" as an ESC can get. Put some Dielectric grease on the RX connection and keep an eye on the caps and the wire insulation where it enters the potting compound. That black-goo may not fully adhere to the wire insulation and, over time, may separate.

That being said... I ran a 60A in my 1/10th Scale Miss DeWalt for two seasons without any issues... just dry it off from time-to-time...

BHChieftain
03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks Darin

Chief

G-UNIT
05-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Just the other day while running my impulse the cooling line came off from the rudder to the esc and the boat filled up and I do mean filled up to where the boat was sitting at a 45 degree angle in the lake, powered it back in and drained it, I thought all was lost but everything survived.
to me that is one tough esc.
one ? can the 60 amp handle 5s.
the specs on the 45 amp esc by pb say 10v-21v, but no specs on the 60 amp version, has anyone run the 60 amp on 5s?
I am running a 1090kv with a m445 prop.