PDA

View Full Version : NAMBA 2-Lap TT - District 8, Puget Sound Model Boat Club - March 17, 2012 Results...

Darin Jordan
03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
I thought I'd post a few pics and some results from today's 2-Lap TT at Lake Waughop in Lakewood, WA, hosted by NAMBA District 8.

We had a very light turn-out today. I arrived around 8am in a downpour. The D8 crew worked in some crappy conditions to setup the course and lights. For awhile, we wondered if we'd be able to actually run, especially when the weather turned from rain, so a terrential Slush Pour... Not sure the timing lights would work with huge snowflakes falling.

However, right about the time everything was setup and working, the rain/snow stopped, and things calmed right down. Time to run some laps!

With not many people participating, things moved quickly.

Brian ran his GX-2 Sport Hydro (Blazer Marine Backlash), but was fighting handling and motor tuning issues most of the day. He JUST about had the handling dialed in, when a bad hop stuffed it at WOT and ended his day with a bent crank.

One of the D8 Nitro guys ran a 28.xx something to establish a new Sport 21 record. I'll try to get his name so I can give proper credit.

I set the only other two records that I know of. I ran my Miss Geico, outfitted with a Mystic 1800KV power system, with a Prather 235 prop on 4S2P of 3800 mAh Thunder Power R/C 45C cells to establish a new P-Ltd Offshore record of 37.xx.... I then swapped props to an X447/3, drove a lot tighter, and dropped the time to a 36.97 seconds.. Motor came in at a luke warm 107-degrees... I was setup to attempt to go faster, but the winds picked up and pretty much ended my chances at any more real attempts. I did try again with a 4S1P 5000 mAh setup and a REDICULOUS prop, but it just blew over as soon as the wind-gusts hit it. So, I set a very soft bench-mark for others to target. I believe there should be a pretty easy 32-second time, or maybe a little faster, in this setup with some tuning time and decent water.

I also ran my M2-Mono 22 Raptor WildThing to a new M2-Mono time of 45.84 seconds. However, this time was actually set on laps 3 and 4 of my run. On laps 1 and 2, I crossed the line for the 2nd lap on what was going to be a 42 second pace, but the boat caught a gust and flipped OVER the timing line, not stopping the lights. I drove back through the lights to stop them, still below the previous record, but they reset the clocks and I made another two laps. First was in the 21 second range, but the second, as one might expect, dropped off and the final time was only 45.84. Still faster than the previous record of 54.xx, so I'll take it, but again, it's a very soft record at this point. I'm pretty certain there is a sub-40 time in there with some tuning and good water.

The wind picked up again HARD at around 12:30pm... so we only got about 3 hours of really good water. I had to pack up and get to my daughter's final basketball game, so I was out of there by 1:30pm. As I understand it, everyone else pretty much just used the time for open water after I had left.

Thanks to District 8, especially Kelly Groll (sp??), Jerry Dunlap, and Mike Hughes, for putting on this event, despite the very challenging weather conditions.

Here are some photos from today....

Darin Jordan
03-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Here are a few more....

Darin Jordan
03-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Last ones I have...

properchopper
03-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Hey Darin,

Nice job (in spite of the weather). 37.xx in P-Ltd. Offshore is very nice - but of course you can guess what I'm thinking :spy: :biggrin:

Good thing we don't have those weather problems in the Southwest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMuhSQcNBs

Darin Jordan
03-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Hey Darin,

Nice job (in spite of the weather). 37.xx in P-Ltd. Offshore is very nice - but of course you can guess what I'm thinking :spy: :biggrin:

Please! Go for it!! It's 36.97, however... :biggrin:

It shouldn't be that tough to do. Someone had to be the first... :thumbup1:

properchopper
03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Please! Go for it!! It's 36.97, however... :biggrin:

It shouldn't be that tough to do. Someone had to be the first... :thumbup1:

I had a dream that at the Nat's a P-Ltd Offshore 2-lap"shootout" was offered .....:wink:

RaceMechaniX
03-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Reminds me of the 09 Marrysville Nationals. Nice job Darin.

TG

JimClark
03-18-2012, 03:37 PM
I might have to give that a try next time looks like fun