PDA

View Full Version : Radio range?

alvinm
03-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I live on a fairly large lake and today while doing some gps runs, my boat turned off. I was a pretty good distance away so I could get a nice long run when it happened. I take it has some type of bult in failsafe as it just stopped. Anyone experience this? Time for a better radio? By the way, it ran 43.5 with just the prop and 4s; am I in the right speed range?

tlandauer
03-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Which prop are you refering? I will be very happy if mine would run at that speed out of box, was going to maiden her but got completely side tracted by a Pursuit which needs some attention at the moment.:roflol:
anyway, since I assume you have the Tactic 2.4 which i use in a number of my boats thus far without any problem that is until two days ago when I was testing my Pursuit, same thing happened, boat stopped in the middle, I think the ESC shuts down the motor when there is a signal lost, I walked a bit closer and it re-armed . I want to also get some more educated opinion on this issue, I guess this particular Rx is having some kind of issue, never had any thing like this with at least four other boats. I would say the distance is no less than 100 meters out. Open, line of sight landscape.:confused1:
I am not ready to write this radio off yet, it is so simple to use, i don't mind that it doesn't have memory, I put marks on the front panel so I know each boat's setting, and on the bottom I write info. regarding channel position ( N or R). The problematic unit had its case separated when I pulled it off from one boat, so there might be some damage, just saying.

alvinm
03-16-2012, 08:39 AM
M445.. The water was not glass, so I'm hoping for a few more 10ths at least. I was hoping I had better range. I had to raise the radio real high to get a signal (not sure if that really did anything..lol) I'm not sure getting another radio is the answer anyways. I have a 1/5 scale gas truck that loses its signal when I venture off too far, and that has a nice Futaba 2.4 radio...

Diesel6401
03-16-2012, 10:00 AM
With the 2.4 radios the (transmitter) batteries can effect range. Put some new quality batteries in your radio. My help your range issues. Sometimes CF can effect the signal as well especially with the tactic not having a antenna.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

egneg
03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
With the 2.4 radios the (transmitter) batteries can effect range. Put some new quality batteries in your radio. My help your range issues. Sometimes CF can effect the signal as well especially with the tactic not having a antenna.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Correct, I had issues with my JAE 21 that had the tub reinforced with CF. It's the only time I had to re-arm while it was in the water.

alvinm
03-16-2012, 11:37 AM
These are the same batteries since I purchased the boat. The radio just shows the red light. I will put some fresh battereis in today....:thumbup:

floatn turd
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Take the "killer bee" off your 5th scale and slap it on yr boat. POW!! problem solved.:buttrock:

alvinm
03-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Hey, how'd you know I had a Killer Bee on it?" lol Actually, I was thinking the Killer Bee was affecting my Futaba receiver's range on my truck, and was thinking of yanking it. I'll probably keep it on there though; I'd say the truck would do a little more damage to property (or persons) then the boat would if it got away from me..

floatn turd
03-17-2012, 01:12 PM
The Turd is "all knowing":spy: I put a small explosive charge in the bumper on my Baja 5T, so if the killer-bee fails, I at least go out with a bang...

I have never heard of a killer-bee on a boat, I run my boat close to shore cause when it takes a dump I don't have far to swim.. I don't think the killer-bee will affect the range, maybe the RX has a flaw somehow? Try replacing it and see if that works, anything that could interfere with the signal wear you run it? IE: power lines, sat. dishes, secret govt. installations, submerged alien crafts. ETC.