PDA

View Full Version : Thinking MC but need some affirmation...

pavmentsurfer
03-14-2012, 02:29 PM
I live on a lake and have tried many different RC boats over the years mostly with limited success. 2 years ago while on vacation in myrtle beach I bought a Traxxas Villain and really like it. Wasn't fast enough but it finally performed the way I expect a modern RC boat to perform. When I got home I sold it and bought a UL1... which was awesome. But the lake I live on rarely gets calm enough to run a hydro... the most calm it gets is maybe 1-2 inches of light chop... nothing major but enough that the UL1 was bouncing all over the place.

I had thought about a Spartan or an SV but Im not crazy about how they seem to bounce around alot on choppy water. I know a Cat is designed to sink into choppy water (at least as a full scale) so I wondered if you guys think this boat would be ideal for my conditions. The videos I've seen seem to indicated it would run fine in conditions like mine. I don't want to do any modifications other than maybe a prop. I have 40C lipos to run in it (2X 2S) and just want to set it up, run it and not worry about anything.

So the question... is this a good choice for me? I like straight line speed... maybe 35+ mph... I like it to corner adequately but I realize I have to slow down (I have full scale performance boats so I understand the concepts). Most of all I want it to be able to handle light chop without being thrown all over or flipping constantly.

Advice is appreciated.

sanyijr
03-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I would post this in the general section.

A mono hull or cat would do well I would think. Especially in the sub 40 mph range, a good 4s setup should do very well.

What's price range? Size?

pavmentsurfer
03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Im trying to keep it around $400... which seriously limits my options. And I want the biggest boat possible as I know generally speaking a larger boat will handle rougher water better. I think this is the boat for me... just wondering if there were any other opinions or suggestions.

siberianhusky
03-15-2012, 08:13 AM
A mono handles chop better than a cat, a SV isn't a great running hull, they are fun but not the most stable, it's the design not the fact that it's a mono.
The Spartan is a plastic POS that has had so many problems it's not funny!
I'd look at the proboat Impulse, the company has a very good reputation, haven't heard of many issues with it at all.
Or a Mystic if you want a cat, the hull quality of my Motley Crew leaves a lot to be desired, fingerprints in the paint under the clear coat, big blobs of unsanded filler, sanding scratches that look like about 60 grit under the clear, bad dips down the centre of both sponsons, motor mount bent in a roll over, hatch has been broken I don't know how many times, somehow in a flip a tip broke off a sponson. Stuffing tube broke loose from the hull trying to make a normal strut adjustment.......
I've been into boats since the 80's and by far this is one of the worst quality/finished hulls I've ever owned. To bad because the design is great and the hull does run very, very well and it's fast with the right prop!
LOL I should use mine as a plug to make a mould, then do a carbon fiber version out of vacuum bagged epoxy. Not going to happen, somebody else' work, leave that to the Chinese.

alvinm
03-15-2012, 08:40 AM
I think the MC would be great. 40+ with a prop and its super stable. My hull had no issues except for a tiny bulge on the top part of the hull thats hardly noticable. Aside from that, the paint job is beautiful and shiny. Its also very easy to maintain. If you use it as intended, you will have absolutely no problems. It gets my vote!

DjFlipNautikz
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
My MC came with some minor paint defects from factory like some small cracks in the paint in the bottom of the sponson. however i scuffed it so it didn't matter. here is a video of mine running a few weeks ago. I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFZhgDRGNKo

Grimracer
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Nice running boat dude.. You have it running really nice!

Take advantage of that prop rotation and turn your boat right.. you will BLISTER through the corners.

Grimracer

DjFlipNautikz
03-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Nice running boat dude.. You have it running really nice!

Take advantage of that prop rotation and turn your boat right.. you will BLISTER through the corners.

Grimracer

You talking to me?? Thanks if you are. It turns better to the right?? I havnt really noticed

pavmentsurfer
03-16-2012, 10:19 AM
DJFlip... your video was one that really helped make my mind up mostly because I knew your boat was bone stock on 4S, which is what I will run. Every video I find shows a setup that is not stock.. I wanted to see how the boat will run out of the box.

I did end up buying one yesterday. I just closed my eyes and hit "place order" from tower. With my discount and the extra shipping it requires to get to canada I paid $325... which I was very happy with. I plan to pick up a stock size grim prop and was thinking of beefing up the cooling system with a dual pick up/outlet setup... but not till later on.

The only other plans are to swap out the radio with my MT4 and thats really it. For the money, this boat is REALLY hard to beat. Im fine with a few minor imperfections for the price. My only other option in this price range really was to go to HobbyKing and I really didn't want to do that.

longballlumber
03-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Sufer,

Stick with 4S and the boat will hold up fine and be alot of fun!

Later,
Mike

DjFlipNautikz
03-16-2012, 12:21 PM
glad i could help man. The ONLY thing i did was change my wiring from series to parallel because i already had two 4s batteries and didnt have any 2s so i just went parallel, longer runtimes and its a TAD bit heavier but i think it adds to the stability.

I'm sure i can get more speed out of it with some tweaking.

Its a great boat, and backed by great support.

and personally i LOVE the paint scheme. but thats just me...

anyways welcome to the family now that made the purchase and if you ever down in florida just hit me up:tiphat:

pavmentsurfer
03-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys... ill probably be back asking lots of questions once it shows up and the 2 feet of ice on my lake melts. I think I may try to build a trailer for it so I can tow it with my summit also. Maybe ill save that project for next years long winter.

pavmentsurfer
03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
I got my MC today in the mail and it's sweet. No blemishes or anything. It's smaller than I expected but I think it's going to handle my lake just perfect. I ordered a grim copper/beryllium 42x55 for it. I'm assuming that is the same size/pitch as the stock prop? I bought it just for more strength, not more speed so hopefully it was the right choice. Anything else I need? I have some flex shaft lube already as some hatch tape. Any other necessities?

jeepme
03-29-2012, 11:46 PM
check your motor to flex shaft alignment and make sure they are even.

Doby
03-30-2012, 12:32 AM
I got my MC today in the mail and it's sweet. No blemishes or anything. It's smaller than I expected but I think it's going to handle my lake just perfect. I ordered a grim copper/beryllium 42x55 for it. I'm assuming that is the same size/pitch as the stock prop? I bought it just for more strength, not more speed so hopefully it was the right choice. Anything else I need? I have some flex shaft lube already as some hatch tape. Any other necessities?

Not the same as the stock prop.....

longballlumber
03-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Take a look thru this thread. Lots of good fundamentals about getting a boat ready to go. The only thing I would disregard in my thread is about replacing the flex shaft. I believe those issues have been addressed and fixed!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?25689-Race-Prep-on-my-Crew-Hull

Here is another thread that has some good fundamentals about getting a boat ready to go. I also show some tips about making sure you flex shaft and strut bushing is working correctly... Again, a lot of information that applies to boating in general and not just the SV

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?32442-Set-Up-for-a-Race-Ready-Stock-SuperVee-27R

Later,
Mike

alvinm
03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
The stock shaft didn't last long for me and my boat is new. Replaced it with the OSE version and no problems since...:rockon2:

pavmentsurfer
05-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Ive got maybe 30 or so runs on the boat so far... probably more now that I think about it. So far the flex shaft has been solid as a rock... I really didnt do much tweaking at all. Just twisted the motor mount maybe 1/16 to line up the flex shaft a bit straighter. That was really it.

Love the boat. This was definitely the right choice.

VJSC
05-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Is the stock flex shaft fine or have the majority of users had to replace it? For those that replaced it, were you running the stock system, 2S, stock prop or were there some mods done therefore something had to give, in your case it was the shaft?