PDA

View Full Version : P-Ltd Mono Prelim Tests

LuckyDuc
03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
The soft water is back here in WI. YEAH!!:banana:

I’ve done 4 runs with my P-Ltd Mono (sprint) so far at 5.25 lbs RTR (Thunder Power 4S 3850mah) with a m445.

The water is what I would consider race water conditions… Decent chop (5-9mph winds). The larger Cyberstorm hull seems very stable at speed and in the corners.

It is averaging 80-84 amps for a 2 minute run. Temps are good. All are below 100 F.

Total mAh consumed in a 2 min run in choppy water is averaging 2600 -2800 mahs.

It’s hard to tell if the light weight setup will be a disadvantage until its first heat race with other boats. I’d hate to add more capacity as it accelerates like a bullet right now.

Attention all FE racers in the Great Lake States; I'm bringing the rain in P-Ltd mono this summer:tt2:

Bill Wachtler
03-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Sean bring her to Eagan. We will see what a good nitro boat converted to electric will do to the Cyberstorm. Glad you put one together. See you in May. Bill

LuckyDuc
03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Sean bring her to Eagan. We will see what a good nitro boat converted to electric will do to the Cyberstorm. Glad you put one together. See you in May. Bill
The May 20th Eagan, MN race is already on my calendar. In fact, it will be the first race of the season for me and this boat. Looking forward to it:thumbup:

LuckyDuc
03-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Here is some Eagle Tree data from running in flat sticky water with my P-Ltd mono (Cyberstorm, UL-1 motor, T120 ESC, m445 prop and Thunder Power 3850 4S)...

Amp and GPS speed chart below. Averages are at the bottom.

The next post will include the same setup in "Rippled" water, then choppy water, and then SUPER choppy water.

LuckyDuc
03-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Data from running in choppy water with the same setup... Cyberstorm, UL-1 motor, T120 ESC, m445 prop and Thunder Power 3850 4S.

Amp and GPS speed chart below. Averages are at the bottom.

**NOTICE THE AMP drops as the water gets choppier... Caused from the prop coming out of the water quite a bit more than the previous chart as the load drops off.

LuckyDuc
03-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Super Choppy Test.

No changes from the previous setup... Just SUPER CHOPPY water.

longballlumber
03-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Interesting stuff... thanks for sharing… I wonder which one is “harder” on the controller; a more consistent higher (smoother) amp draw or the opposite (lower average draw, but more changes in the draw)…

Later,
Ball

steveo
03-19-2012, 08:26 AM
do u have enough battery to run the race, what is the duration for p-ltd race

longballlumber
03-19-2012, 09:04 AM
P-Limited Mono will be a 6 lap sprint race.

Later,
Ball

LuckyDuc
03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Interesting stuff... thanks for sharing… I wonder which one is “harder” on the controller; a more consistent higher (smoother) amp draw or the opposite (lower average draw, but more changes in the draw)…

Later,
Ball
That is a good question. I'm not sure either. I do know one thing though. If I set it up to run at its maximum potential in race water conditions, it will likely draw too many amps if run by itself in non-race water.

LuckyDuc
03-19-2012, 10:50 AM
do u have enough battery to run the race, what is the duration for p-ltd race
Yes. A heat race generally last around 2 minutes. I'm using between 2600 - 2800 mAhs in 2 minutes with the m445 so I have plenty of head room with the 3850mah packs. Using the 80% rule, I have a ceiling of 3080 mAhs before the pack is depleted.

longballlumber
03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I do know one thing though. If I set it up to run at its maximum potential in race water conditions, it will likely draw too many amps if run by itself in non-race water.

I here you there. I would suspect that comes from your experience running the 40 Seaducer. I would be willing to stick my neck out there saying they are the worst when it comes to getting the boat set up. You don't want to do it at a race, but you nearly have to. I've even found the characteristics of "race" water to be much different than "rough" water.

Man-O-Man, I've got to get working on boats.

Later,
Ball

LuckyDuc
03-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah. Monos are deceptively easy to setup for sport running, but not so easy to setup for heat racing as you almost need to do it at a race.

Here's a pic of my old P-mono that has now been converted over to P-Ltd duty. I think that I'm going to like P-Ltd mono better than P-mono. Cheaper packs and less weight to push around, and they are pretty close performance wise... at least from the seat of the pants perspective.