PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about this Battery???

floatn turd
03-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Thunder Power Pro Race 40C 3s5000mAh LiPo Battery

Here is a link to the Specs: http://www.toddsmodels.com/Thunder_Power_TP5000_3SPRD_Hard_Case_Car_Pack_p/tp5000-3sprd.htm

Why is it so expensive?? I have Gensace batts basically the same ratings ( 3s 35c 5300mah) what makes these Thunder Powers so much more $$?? Are they worth 'looking into'?

Any info would be helpful.

thank you

Mr.T

Make-a-Wake
03-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Thats an absurd price, you can buy 4 Turnigy/Zippys for that. However, from what i have read(since i dont/wont own one at those $$) they are very good batts, better than the HK ones i'm sure, but 4x better????............hugely marked up.

Rumdog
03-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Almost $200 for a 3s?..... No thanks.

Make-a-Wake
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Kinda like Maxamps on the price.....................but at least Maxamps are crappy:w00t:

JimClark
03-07-2012, 08:14 PM
you guys just don't know where to look go to RC Lipos.com
TP5000-3SPP65 139.99

lenny
03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I have a set of the TP6600-2spp65 that I got really cheap off a member with 10 runs on them,
They are very powerful and I do see a big difference in how the boats run.
But I still need to try some gens ace cells, And see how they do for the money.

Make-a-Wake
03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
you guys just don't know where to look go to RC Lipos.com
TP5000-3SPP65 139.99

Thats still overpriced for sport boaters and casual racers.

JimClark
03-07-2012, 08:50 PM
You also have to figure in how long the cells will last and how many amps you are runnign at. If it is racing the TP's will last longer at the higher am's than the cheaper ones that are great for sport running

floatn turd
03-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I guess my question is: What would make a lipo "that much better" than a Gensace? To ask that much more money? Is it how they are made or what they are made with?
Are the Thunder Power just a plain and simple "rip-off"?

GENS ACE 5000mah 3S1P 11.1V 40C hard case Lipo battery Racing Approved Batteries
Regular Price: $50.48
On Sale Now: $44.34

Diesel6401
03-07-2012, 09:26 PM
TP packs are very impressive, no doubt about that! My buddy uses them on his 5k quad copter. 5s 5000mah packs he's got 4 of them I normally charge for him and every cell on every battery is perfect every time! I would need to datalog the difference, but the truth is for the average sport boater which most of us are HK packs and HP packs work just fine and have been proven. In his quad which he uses for work the quad itself is expensive and the camera equipment it carries is just as expensive so lipo failure isn't an option. I would feel comfy slapping gens ace packs in there though. Their my bread and butter. I may need to borrow those packs and get some data logging. I use hyperion packs in my small planes where the price is compariable to cheaper packs and I love them. Ill never talk bad about tp or hyperion packs, I don't think ull find me running them that much in my boats though lol... I'm not a rich man!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

JimClark
03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
So whats the difference between a Porsche and a Ford Focus same sceneriao. Better quality controll better manufacturing to much higher standards looka t how many turnigy's puff before people even get their hands on them. Much better waranty and on and on and on

Diesel6401
03-07-2012, 09:51 PM
So whats the difference between a Porsche and a Ford Focus same sceneriao. Better quality controll better manufacturing to much higher standards looka t how many turnigy's puff before people even get their hands on them. Much better waranty and on and on and on

Yea I def agree. I think the Gens Ace would be like a Cadilliac :D

At the end of the day they'll all get you from point A to B in different ways.

Fluid
03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Please don't buy the ThunderPower packs!! Your boat will be too fast for you. You will actually get the capacity and "C" rating you paid for. The packs will last so long that you'll end up pulling the power leads off from so many charging cycles. They won't get hot enough to keep your hands warm in the winter. They will need balancing so seldom that your balancer will get rusty. THey are assembled in the USA so you won't be supporting our very good friends in the PRC. And when they finally wear out or if you accidentally burn up, you have to trade them in for a 40% discount on brand new packs. What a rip off!! Stay away....

Kajun
03-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Well played Fluid!

srislash
03-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Please don't buy the ThunderPower packs!! Your boat will be too fast for you. You will actually get the capacity and "C" rating you paid for. The packs will last so long that you'll end up pulling the power leads off from so many charging cycles. They won't get hot enough to keep your hands warm in the winter. They will need balancing so seldom that your balancer will get rusty. THey are assembled in the USA so you won't be supporting our very good friends in the PRC. And when they finally wear out or if you accidentally burn up, you have to trade them in for a 40% discount on brand new packs. What a rip off!! Stay away....

.Hey I missed the 40% part when I bought mine.Good to know.Mine are flawless although my Skylipo's are fine (just a PITA to balance).But I think I paid $160 for 5000mah 4s 45c in Canada.

floatn turd
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Fluid,
Because of your words, I just bought over $6,000 in lipo batteries from ThunderPower and a set of special batteries for my girlfriends "toys" So now with that kind of power 'in her hands' she will leave me alone all weekend long. Giving me enough time have a "Guys night out" FRI SAT and SUN.:beerchug: Your words have changed my life Sir,
and I Thank you.

Mr.T

lenny
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Now that is what I call literally thinking out of the box.:tongue_smilie:
And it is always good to have the right tool for the job.:beerchug:

sailr
03-08-2012, 10:55 AM
There is a new battery company on the scene which so far testing has shown to be on par with the thunderpowers and at a greatly reduced price. I'm using some of their packs and they are proving out to be great! How about a 40C 4S 5000 for $56! AND they are warehoused here in the states! No absurd shipping charges or long waits!

www.haiyinstore.com

Diesel6401
03-08-2012, 11:18 AM
There is a new battery company on the scene which so far testing has shown to be on par with the thunderpowers and at a greatly reduced price. I'm using some of their packs and they are proving out to be great! How about a 40C 4S 5000 for $56! AND they are warehoused here in the states! No absurd shipping charges or long waits!

www.haiyinstore.com

Yea I want to try those out. Heres some information on Haiyin I found. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=32506

Chrisg81983
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I have run thunder power cells hyperions gens ace and sky lipos there is nothing that comes close to the TP's although hyperions are very good as well but for the average sport running the gens and sky's will do just fine like I said I use them all and am happy with each lipos performance the only problem I had was with the turnigy's nod other hk lipos but others as you read have some success with them otherwise jay/fluid stated it perfect
You get what you pay for
Thanks
Chris g

Fluid
03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
There is a new battery company on the scene which so far testing has shown to be on par with the thunderpowers and at a greatly reduced price. I'm using some of their packs and they are proving out to be great! How about a 40C 4S 5000 for $56!If that is actually true then they are terrible businessmen. Why on earth would a company - with a product that actually was as good as the top brand in the market - price them at less than 50% of the top packs when they could easily get more? Either they are very foolish, or..............I'm just sayin'.

electric
03-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Does the charge C rating have any relationship to the battery quality? I am noticing that there are a lot of claimed 40C batteries out there, but then they have very low charge "C" ratings as compare to other 40C rated batteries which makes me suspicious?

Chrisg81983
03-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Xps (extreme power systems) makes a very good lipo as well I never used them my self but I know people that do and they love them

sailr
03-08-2012, 03:22 PM
If that is actually true then they are terrible businessmen. Why on earth would a company - with a product that actually was as good as the top brand in the market - price them at less than 50% of the top packs when they could easily get more? Either they are very foolish, or..............I'm just sayin'.

They can do it because they sell direct from manufacturer to you. NO ASSEMBLERS (Thunder Power for example) and NO MIDDLE MEN OF ANY KIND.

sailr
03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Does the charge C rating have any relationship to the battery quality? I am noticing that there are a lot of claimed 40C batteries out there, but then they have very low charge "C" ratings as compare to other 40C rated batteries which makes me suspicious?

I think it has more to do with which manufacturers are being honest and those who are not! The Charge C rating is a great sales tool and I believe a lot of battery sellers are exaggerating the rating. I charge my packs at 2-3C, never more regardless of what the seller claims.

Fluxn81
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
These days, no one should be over paying for lipos. Save yourself a few bucks, do your homework and stop being fooled by the pretty wrapping.

Chrisg81983
03-08-2012, 04:11 PM
It is not just pretty packages fluxin 81 I myself had had turnigy's go up in flames in high current systems so have friends of mine you can clearly see and feel the difference you might be able to run cheap packs in cars and that's about it IMO the lowest grade I would even consider is the gens ace I used alot of lipo's out there and there are a few companies can get you by for sport running but they are not like TP's or hyperions and don't last nearly as long Plus people half to get what they can afford and a few sets of high end lipo's really add up I use 700 dollars in lipo's at one time in one of my sprintcat's for 4 to 5 min of run time

Fluxn81
03-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I started out with Venom, Max Amps and TP. I wanted the best. I got some Gens Ace and Sky Lipos on a trade and they were just as good. I searched for them. When I found out they only cost a fraction of what I was paying for lipos, I fell like a retard. I've had over 30 Gens Ace and Sky lipos with no problems. I'm not the only one with success. These lipos are only sold on two online shops and they don't stay in stock. There's no use in arguing. Facts are facts and a few people even have reviews of these lipos against the top brands. Spend more if you want, it's your money.

Rumdog
03-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I run Turnigy's in ALL of my boats, besides the mini/micros. They work great. My Sprintcat uses about 160.00 in lipos at one time. I bet I can hang too. It's been maybe a year since I have bought any new packs, but when I do, I'll try the Gens Ace. They're getting great reviews. If I had to buy TP packs for all my boats, I wouldn't be in this hobby.

Chrisg81983
03-08-2012, 04:37 PM
I agree the gens are a good pack and so are the sky lipo's especially for the money I run them as well but I can see a difference in my setup with my TP or hyperions and my data logger also will show it as well I never said they were a bad pack just not as good as some other packs the the difference in performance is not worth the price to some people but I think it is everyone has their own opinion and rum I bet u can hang I seen some of your boats run u set up a boat well

Chris g

Diesel6401
03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
I run Turnigy's in ALL of my boats, besides the mini/micros. They work great. My Sprintcat uses about 160.00 in lipos at one time. I bet I can hang too. It's been maybe a year since I have bought any new packs, but when I do, I'll try the Gens Ace. They're getting great reviews. If I had to buy TP packs for all my boats, I wouldn't be in this hobby.

I think you'll love the Gens Ace packs. I like them more then the Turnigy packs, I think you will also.

karlhh
03-08-2012, 06:26 PM
this is a good deal. lol http://www.toddsmodels.com/P107_Lead_Free_Solder_p/pefr1407.htm

Make-a-Wake
03-08-2012, 07:15 PM
this is a good deal. lol http://www.toddsmodels.com/P107_Lead_Free_Solder_p/pefr1407.htm

Thats ridiculous..............

Make-a-Wake
03-08-2012, 07:21 PM
I'd get these WAY before I ever thought about getting the Maxamps.....................1/2 the price too

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11256__Polyquest_XQ_5050mAh_3S_35C_Lipoly_.html