PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to "foam" my hull

floatn turd
03-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm going to foam the hull of my MC, I have read some different threads on the subject. But I want any additional 'tips-hazards-stories-words of advice-ETC.
Before I do this, i don't want to F-up the boat. Frankly the idea kinda scares me but I guess its necessary.
But here is my battle plan:

1) I bought two part Marine foam from Kintec.
2) Drill hole or two inside bow first, mix 1oz of A&B at a time, shake it around, let dry, repeat process, till full
3) Do same process for the sides

Is that mostly it??
what do I need to do different?

thanks

Rumdog
03-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Yup. Being that it's a shoebox hull, you'll need to drill holes. That alone will give the excess foam somewhere to go. You should be good to go. You don't necessarily need to shake it around. Doing the sponsons, front first, I'd just pour, one at a time with the hull resting on the sponson tips and let gravity do it's thing. You can help it along a bit though with a little shaking.

I'd mask off the hull around the pour area too. The only thing that will get it off once mixed is acetone, which prob. wont be great for your paint.

battlefury
03-06-2012, 09:53 PM
if you can get hold of the pictured refrigerator Polyurethane rigid foam(blue) that will be the most durable and lightweight float device i came across plus its easy to shape. i believe its the same foam that is used for water proofing purposes in buliding structures. I put it through a series of test by pouring petrol and epoxy it passed with flying colours without destroying its orginal shape

Rumdog
03-06-2012, 09:57 PM
2 part pour foam is better for boats. It will help add rigidity as well.

Jeepers
03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I have used 2 part pour foam, Great stuff, pool noodles and the blue or pink foam. depending on density of the 2 part stuff it can also add a bunch weight, I have built 4 Whiplash hulls, the one I used the 2 part foam in is the fat boy of the group, its a Whiplash 20 and its heavier than my Whiplash 40.

I have also used it in some fiberglass hulls and after about a year or so of being in the sun the hulls have warped in the places the foam was poured, mostly the decks of the boats. I have not had
warped hulls using pool noodles or blue or pink foam.

good luck!!

Chilli
03-06-2012, 11:57 PM
I don't know if shaking it around is the best technique. Just tilt the hull to let it ooze where you want it to go and let it do it's thing.

floatn turd
03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

How big of a hole would you drill?

tlandauer
03-07-2012, 12:59 AM
HI all,
I waited 6 months from Towerhobbies, the boat finally came and there is something loose inside the front of the hull, I read from another thread that it is a piece of foam for floatation, so, to a question one member posted 1 week ago, there is NO difference between the last batch and the current ones, same carelessly made hulls, flexes big time. I too want to do this but what kind of holes are we talking about ? One member who did this opened his hull with a large long openning, but that is quite large, he managed to pull the floatation piece out. For the foam to safely expend, little round holes are not enough , right? I also remember that member said he didn't get the form to the sponsons because something blocked the mixture as he was pouring it in.
The only reason I did not return this boat is because the alignment from the motor shaft to the flex was quite good, since the variation in production quality scares me, I thought atleast I was lucky in this regard.
Sorry, didn't mean to hyjack this topic!

floatn turd
03-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I saw that post with the 'big' hole and and I also saw some other people with holes smaller than a dime. I'm going to just cut two small holes and pour a little at a time. That should do the trick. From what I have read, once you foam the front of the hull that "loose" foam you have should be secured by the 2 part foam. And I'm not worried about getting single nook and cranny of the boat filled with foam, something in there is better than nothing in my opinion. So I'm not going to cut any holes big enough to take the existing foam blocks out of the boat. But I'm sure what ever way its done it will be better than it was.

Insaniac
03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Go slow with that stuff or you might wind up with an explod'n turd!

floatn turd
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Go slow with that stuff or you might wind up with an explod'n turd!

No body wants that, or to clean it up:flashfire:.

Hey, what size holes did you drill to pour in the foam?
and do you pour in each "part" separately IE: A then B, or mix both in a cup together, then pour in the boat hull?

thanks

Rumdog
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Mix, then pour. I think u have about 1 minute to mix before pouring. should come with instructions. A little at a time, but it wont blow the hull. This isnt great stuff foam in a can here.

tlandauer
03-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I hesitated to buy BECAUSE I didn't know how much time one has, thanks, Rumdog, now I know, boy, I thought one has a bit more time than that, this doesn't work well for a slowpoke like me.

floatn turd
03-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Well I did it and it came out nice, feels pretty solid, the very front part of the deck did not get a lot of foam because of the "foam pad" blocked the liquid, But the boat doesn't ride on that part of the hull anyway. It did add some weight to it, I can tell. In all I used 6oz total (3 of each) now I feel better running the 8s
we'll see how it holds up after a crash??

72199722007220172202[ATTACH=CONFIG]

floatn turd
03-09-2012, 08:19 PM

RIPFENCE
03-09-2012, 08:43 PM
hi turd,

what is the camera film container next to the motor? back in high school kids thought they were cool to hide their weed in them...what do you use it for?

floatn turd
03-09-2012, 09:51 PM
To take secret stealth pictures for the CIA. SHHHHHHHHH, someone's coming!!!!:spy:

It has 20ft of 80lb test of fishing line spooled in it, attached to that buoy. So if the top flys off in a crash and the hull swaps and sinks, the buoy floats up and I find my boat. The hatch has its own "water buoy" (the one where the balloon pops out when its submerged) which is also attached to the fishing line. So that way I wont loose anything if this guy takes a dive to the bottom. Easy to do and well worth a tiny bit of extra weight if i get all my crap back, and not join the ranks of "I lost my boat today"

Doby
03-09-2012, 11:28 PM
with the foam, all that extra plumbing isn't required...add some foam to the hatch as well and off you go.

floatn turd
03-10-2012, 12:37 AM
with the foam, all that extra plumbing isn't required...add some foam to the hatch as well and off you go.

I don't know, when it has two 4s in there, that thing is pretty damn heavy, but your probably right.

RIPFENCE
03-10-2012, 06:47 AM
it will float..just make sure there is enough foam..you do not want a boat that is caught n limbo that is a few feet below the surface and drifting off to lost my boat land

floatn turd
03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
it will float..just make sure there is enough foam..you do not want a boat that is caught n limbo that is a few feet below the surface and drifting off to lost my boat land

I foamed that S.O.B. till the holes were filled, but the only way it would sink is if the hatch comes off and swamps, thats when the flotation buoy comes into play. So hopefully I'm good, but I hope I never have to test it.

Rumdog
03-10-2012, 05:29 PM
The boat could fill, and there is no way it would sink with all that foam. Not even close.